RockShox Recon Gold TK 2012 Forks

• Lowers: Magnesium, Post Disc Mount
  • Maximum Rotor Size: 210mm

Submitted by GelatiCruiser a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    Price, weight, stanchions, feel, adjustability, solo air, ride...

Weaknesses:    Makes me want to upgrade my wheel set.

Bottom Line:
I bought this off of Cross Lake Sales for $262.xx including shipping and my LBS installed it for $40. Great price, though it only came in white. I want to say that I for it for my '12 Talon 29er 2 which had the SR Suntour XCT V3 100mm fork. The weight savings was right around 2lbs. I went from 2591 grams (Suntour) to 1728 grams (Recon, before cutting 3" off steerer tube)). I noticed the weight difference immediately. I also noticed the difference in the air vs coil immediately. I've only been on one ride so far (~8 miles) in some pretty sloppy conditions. The fork really performs well and there is a substantial loss in flex from the Suntour (28mm) to the Recon (32mm). I notice the comfort more than I notice lack of flex, but this fork has been fantastic so far. I was a little bummed that it only came in white, but for the price, I can't complain...and the white happened to match my bike perfectly anyways. I ride mostly entry to mid level single track trails, but I really feel way more in control of the bike with this fork attached. My only reservation about this fork is that it did not come with a pump and I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to dialing these in. I put the rebound halway inbetween slow and fast and I feel like I could get a little more sag/travel from it if I took a little air out, but the bike shop set it up. I might just buy a pump and a guage so I can make sure it's set up where I feel most comfortable because I like more travel than the recommended amount. Also, there is probably a 0% chance I bottom this thing out (~185lbs without gear, 34.9lb bike before fork upgrade), and the ride I was on...this felt light years ahead of the Suntour. For the price I couldn't beat it. The ride is lighter, more comfortable, I feel more agile on the bike and it really handles roots and rocks well. I also noticed a huge difference on how comfortable I felt on the downhills. I would definitely recommend this fork (especially for the price) to anyone looking for a mid-level upgrade. Apart from having a little trouble dialing the settings in, the only downside is that now I want to upgrade my wheelset and get this bike under 30lbs!

Favorite Trail:   Shaeffer Farm/Seneca Ridge Trail

Duration Product Used:   ~8 miles

Purchased At:   Cross Lake Sales

Submitted by EKIM5608 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2012

Strengths:    Very rigid fork with no noticeable flex, great low speed dampening, lockout works well

Weaknesses:    Hi speed dampening or lack of it.

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice fork under most conditions. I run it at 120MM travel and changed to 2.5wt oil to make it plusher. I weigh 170#. Have it set up to use 90% of the available travel, have never bottomed it out.Handles most bumps well except for hi speed bumps, extremely harsh over tree roots, square edge bumps at speeds above 15 mph even though it is moving it transfers so much shock to my arms it feels like it has changed to a rigid fork. Apparently it has no hi speed dampening circuit. To try to improve it I changed the damper unit to a MoCo RCT3 DNA for a RockShox Revelation. This added a lot more adjust ability to the lo speed dampening and 3 lockout settings which is nice but didn't do much to fix the harshness. Don't know what takes to make the fork respond to hi-speed bumps. Any suggestions?