RockShox Recon Gold RL 2012 Forks

• Travel: 80/100/120mm
  • Damping: Motion Control, crown or remote
  • Steerer Options: 1-1/8", tapered aluminum, 4130 Steel 1-1/8"
  • Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 Hollow Aluminum
  • Lowers: Magnesium, Post Disc Mount

Submitted by justwan naride

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    Set & forget simplicity, performance (esp for the money), stiffness (for my weight at least), looks, spare parts availability.

Weaknesses:    Small bump sensitivity could be improved, although the fork is not bedded in yet. Range of rebound adjustment is relatively narrow. I run mine at almost slowest setting for trail use.

Bottom Line:
The Recon I got is the coil, motion control version, 100mm. Replaced my Judy2 (ancestor of the dart). I ride everything from fireroads to technical singletrack and enjoy climbing, descending, carving and using the natural features of the trail to have fun.

Compared to my previous fork the recon is night and day on the trail. 1st, the front end got lighter, so much that I'm thinking of lowering the stem a spacer or two to weight the front more. 2nd, it feels A LOT stiffer! 3rd, when riding a very familiar technical trail, I found myself keeping way more speed between obstacles/hits. Almost caught me by surprise. That means the fork works well - it absorbs impacts effectively so you don't lose momentum.
I only had the fork for a couple proper rides, and I guess it will get even better once bedded in. So far it looks like a great upgrade that transformed the quality of my ride.

I recommend it to riders who want to upgrade from POS entry level forks. Also to people who don't want to experiment with adjustments and prefer set and forget simplicity.

Favorite Trail:   10min.r ide from home