Marzocchi 44 RLO 2012 Forks

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Need a forkThat canTake a beating all day but won't breakThe bank?The 44 RLO has you covered. Features 140mm ofTravel for whenThe going gets rough, adjustableTo 120mm via spacer and Marzocchi's new fitted and slotted bushing design. 140(120mm w/ spacer) Air preload Lock out 9mm drop out 32mm hard anodized aluminumTapered stanchions Aluminum steerTube 6" PM D-Brake(MAX 203mm) + V-brakes (pins not included)

Submitted by druthomas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome fork for a clyde. Adjustable travel, lockout, optional V's , very tuff, and reasonably priced.

Weaknesses:    Should come with 2 travel shims to take it down to 100mm which is what I did.

Bottom Line:
This was an upgrade to a Marzocchi Z-5 which after 10 ten years still held oil and air like a champ. The lockout on long climbs is great feature that I use a lot. With the rebound adjusted the fork eats up anything you throw at it. I am 240 and have no complaints with the performance.

Favorite Trail:   Lebb

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant Rainier

Submitted by OzarkRider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very durable and can take a serious beating! The rebound adjustment is sensitive, helps to get it dialed in just right.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have been crushing this fork for almost a year now and haven't had any problems what so ever. For the price you really get a solid fork with legit adjustability that will hold up well. I have never bottomed this thing out, I've pulled some nasty nose dives off of some gnarly drops and this fork soaks all of it up. Last weekend at Slaughter Pen I went straight to flat coming off a table. I wasn't paying attention and by the time I realized I was going too fast it was to late. I thought I was going break something, whether it be on me or on my bike. I came down nose heavy and by the time the back end came down the fork had soaked up enough of the impact to not leave me with a broken leg... or ass. I love this fork and would definitely recommend it.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Submitted by Felix a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, Looks, Amount of adjustment

Weaknesses:    Had EXTREMELY minor play out of box - no problems, but after 2 months of reasonable riding, nothing to hard i came down one morning to find the oil had leaked all over the floor and they wouldn't hold air

Bottom Line:
Im getting them replaced, hopefully the set i had was a fluke, as when the forks worked they were a dream but if not BOOOOOOOOOOO and ill go for maybe an old set of bombers or rockshox as fox are 2 dear, but id say if you havnt had this problem your on a winner

Favorite Trail:   cardiff town stairs

Duration Product Used:   4months

Purchased At:   many places

Bike Setup:   deore hollowtech crank
avid bb7 200mm rotors
spank tweet on fire eye excellerent front wheel
halo sas pro rear with 7spd sram
fire eye pedals
44 rlo marzocchi 140mm

Submitted by ZUUL99

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Build quality and fit and finish are superb, good packaging.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork, the ride is very smooth, its also very sturdy. The only problem or hick-up was the rebound knob; it was hard to turn at first but after moving it back and forth it became easier. The V-brake mounts are very nice if you ride an older bike and need a new fork this would be the way to go. It also has the some of the hardware for disc brakes. Some say its heavy, i think its of good weight, its not stupid light or very heavy. I am a feather weight(135lbs) and this fork feels light

Submitted by Corporal Punishment a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Feels good. Looks great (black stanchions, black lowers, black crown). Badass. Cheap. BOMBER!

Weaknesses:    Developed a creak in the crown.

Bottom Line:
This would be a 5 chili review except for one thing - the crown developed a creak after just a few rides. I contacted ^oldschool43^ from the review above and we've been having an interesting email conversation. He's sending out his 2nd fork for warranty repair for the same crown creak issue. I'm hesitant to do this until I'm sure its a safety issue. I'm sure I can mitigate the noise, but the idea of the fork coming apart at the crown is pretty scary. It feels solid. The noise shows up with lateral force applied to the stanchions. Flipping the bike, standing on the bars and flexing the wheel side to side produces a loud creaking sound. This is a real shame because otherwise this is an awesome value fork. It performs well and there's very little flex. Before I started getting nervous about the noise I had no problem with 3' hucks and generally riding it pretty hard. I hope this is just bad luck for me and oldschool43, but if anyone else is having the same issue, I would love to hear from you.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham Park

Purchased At:   ebay (new)

Bike Setup:   AM/HT

Submitted by NoVA_JB a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Strengths:    Solid fork that competes with Rockshox
Great price

Weaknesses:    Only comes with a QR which was ok since I didn't want to upgrade my wheel
Documentation isn't the best.
Not as well known as the big boys like Rockshox and Fox

Bottom Line:
I upgraded this fork on my GT I-Drive and what a difference it made. I didn't realize how bad the Manitou Splice Super was. I've only ridden it twice and the first time I took it easy to make sure I installed it correctly but the second time I put it though it's paces. Took the bumps smoothly with the right amount of rebound and dampening and didn't bottom out as I'm about 200Lbs.
This fork has 140mm of travel and it's 10mm more than the Manitou at it's highest setting, I wasn't 100% sure on how to put the spacer on so I figured I would ride it out of the box to see how it was and I liked the ride and I think I'm better off with the extra travel.

Purchased At:   Modernbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Splice Super

Bike Setup:   2006 GT I-drive 5 3.0

Submitted by oldschool43 a Weekend Warrior from Kenosha, WI

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, Lockout, Performance, travel adjustable

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, customer service?

Bottom Line:
The fork performed weird out of the box. The first ride, the spring rate floated around the middle of the travel and wasn't propressive in the slightest. Called and told them of the issue, the oil level was about 20mm lower than it should have been. Easy fix. Remove air spring cap, fill with fluid to the proper level, done. That call was fine, more to come. The performance was way better. Progressive. Had to scrape the plastic paint off the rebound adjuster because I couldn't turn it. With 2 hands, it was near impossible. Took a few big bumps without fuss. I was very pleased. It was ridden primarly in the thawing mud, so it wasn't pushed hard at all, but it was enough to know the fork will work good when it would be pushed a little harder. On the 6th ride, I started getting a creaking noise from the front of my bike. Being a bike mechanic for 12 years, I figured it was the stem-bar area, and made some adjustments, no fix. When I got home I took off the bar-stem and replaced them with a different bar-stem and it still made noise. I called and was told to send it in. After 10 days and 2 emails on the 10th day, I called to check on the status of the fork, because nobody responded to me. The guy on the other line wasn't very friendly. Almost acted like I was ruining his day. Said he didn't receive my email the middle of the week before. I don't get why companies allow crappy customer service to continuey. It needed a new top assembly. I am glad it was replaced, but this being a brand new fork, you'd think someone would want to keep a potential repeat customer happy. I didn't have to go with this fork, there are lighter forks around, but I thought I would go back to my roots and get a fork from the company that first made me like suspension in the first place. Anyway, it feels like the old fork I remember. Seems fairly tunable. The price is nice. Is stiff even with QR hubs. I'd say it's a really good fork, might be the best fork in this price catagory.

Favorite Trail:   South Kettle