Manitou R7 Pro 2012 Forks

• Wheel Size: 26”
  • Axle: 9mm

Submitted by richsto a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2015

Strengths:    Excellent lockout - completely rigid
Fairly lightweight
Good small and large bump compliance

Weaknesses:    Bob, bob, bob......
Stickers not clearcoated.....

Bottom Line:
Works well for my primary application which is on my backup bad weather bike used primarily on blacktop - hence the need for a good lockout. No noise or movement when locked out. When not locked out, it had good compliance and feel over a variety of terrain. However, when out of the saddle or applying any pressure it bobs significantly even if backing off the lockout by a single notch or two. Really pronounced when standing. No amount of adjustment or air pressure change solves this. Dissapointing. Wanted to love this fork but couldn't. If it was my primary off road bike/fork I would shop elsewhere. Turns out it works well for me on the road and for the occasional off road foray but just not my cup of tea. Could be because I use a SID on my primary ride which has excellent motion control. If you can find it for a decent price it's a respectable fork, just expect it to have some bob.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID
Rock Shox Judy XC
Rock Shox Indy SL
Rock Shox Tora

Submitted by Siegfred

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    Light, strong, very tough seals, ABS+ works really well, no pedal bob when climbing steep terrain.

Weaknesses:    A little bit of lateral flex, it does not look great, 30mm stanchions, my ride buddies think that their suntour epicon is better because of the way it looks.

Bottom Line:
I have been using a 2012 manitou R7 pro 120mm for almost a year now. The first time that I used it I thought it was broken because I can't feel it working, it was eating all of the bumps and makes the ride really smooth and gives me confidence in going fast on the descent. I even used this fork for enduro and it performed very well even in the small 1 to 2' drops, bunny hops and j hops. This is a set and forget fork and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a 100 - 120 XC/trail fork. I am going to let go of my fork because I have got a new 6" travel frame and 120mm is too short for it. Did I say that this fork is tough? I am having second thoughts on replacing it with other brands.

Submitted by Chris Freestone a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very low maintanace, cycles better than many other xc forks I have used

Weaknesses:    not the nicest looking but who cares when it performs like it does
Doesnt have a huge amount of settings like HSC and LSC, but the rebound and air pressure are really all I need on an xc bike

Bottom Line:
I've ridden the fork for a year and after the break in period (2 weeks) it is smoother than any other forks I have felt (including kashima). And more importantly,it has been maintenance free so far. No leaking and no needing new seals

Favorite Trail:   Marshal Canyon