Fox Racing Shox 36 Float 160 FIT RLC 2012 Forks

Fox 36 Float RLC FIT Fork With 36mm Kashima-coated stanchions,This fork will give you allThe plushness and stiffness youll need for everything butThe gnarliestTerrain.Travel: 6.3 inches / 160 mmWeight (includes axle) 4.49 lb / 2.04 kg (1 1/8" steerer) 4.47 lb / 2.03 kg (1.5"Taper steerer) Adjustments Rebound Low-speed compression Lever actuated lockout Lockout force adjust Air spring pressure Lockout force adjust Lower leg: 20QRThru axle system with post style disc brake moun

Submitted by ffsuperdave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light, ridiculously stiff, handles well, not too bad on the eyes as well

Weaknesses:    None so far. Then again, I haven't had to deal with Fox's customer service yet....but that shouldn't go against the value of the fork itself.

Bottom Line:
Look, we all know that Fox is known for their well built, reliable products and this fork is no exception. I have this on my 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon and it fits the geometry perfect! I like that I can dial it down to 120mm of travel on those steep ascents. Some people complain about the "lock out" feature but it comes in handy as well, and it's adjustable. The Fox Talas 36 RLC is one hell of a fork! I have tried many and this, in my opinion, is the best out there in the All Mountain category. There is a reason that almost all the top riders rock this fork. I love it

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain outside Birmingham Alabama

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Pink bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Lyrik 170 RC2 DH

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon with Fox Talas 36 RLC fork, Fox RP23 rear shock, Easton Haven wheels-20mm through axle on Kenda Nevegal 2.3 tubeless, Formula "The One" brakes, Race Face Atlas bar, Thomson seat post and stem, X.O 2x10 drivetrain

Submitted by Spartacus Rex a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light, laterally stiff, easy to setup

Weaknesses:    Horrible stiction/grinding during compression, LSC doesnt work and lockout is totally useless feature.

Bottom Line:
I had high expectations with this fork based on experience with previous models and reviews. I am seriously disappointed with the initial performance. I never used the travel adjust feature on my previous forks and although I love the performance of the VAN I decided to go with the Float to save weight and I think I made a huge mistake.

Endless magazine reviews state how buttery these forks are right out of the box but I totally disagree. The fork is noticeably notchy and hangs up while going through travel. I expected the seals to have to break in, but after three months of use it hasn't gotten any better. You can even feel a grinding sensation while cycling the fork with body weight.

Another issue is that the LSC adjustment makes no difference whatsoever. On my 32 TALAS you can dial up the LSC to the point where the fork feels somewhat locked out. I normally ride with no compression dialed up but the new Float seems to have way more brake dive than previous forks so I wanted to throw a little LSC at it. Even at full setting it makes no difference so that was disappointing. Couple that with the fact that the lockout is a totally useless feature on a 6" fork and you are left with a crappy feeling, notchy fork with no settings other than rebound.

When I originally brought this issue up with my LBS and Fox I was told that the fork seals would break in and it would feel better if I just gave it some time. After about 25 hours on it there is no change so I am doubtful that it will ever improve. This really ticks me off that I fell for the marketing BS of Kashmia coating and "first air fork to feel as good as coil". Maybe I have a bad fork? Just Unlucky? Possible. I will give it another three months and update this review if it improves.

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 TALAS, FOX 36 TALAS, FOX 36 VAN

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Moment, Fox 36 Float, Fox DHX5 Coil, Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset, XT drivetrain

Submitted by Salespunk a Cross Country Rider from Slowcal

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, initial action is very smooth, once broken in works almost as advertised

Weaknesses:    Feels like total garbage out of the box, cannot get full travel no matter how big the hit or low the pressure

Bottom Line:
Out of the box this fork felt like the bushing were made out of sandpaper. Stiction was horrible through the entire travel. Contacted Fox and they said "ride it" which was disappointing to say the least. After riding it for several months now, the stiction is gone, but the poor feeling remains. The fork still feels as though the bushings are not greased and my best guess is that the rod on the FIT damper was not lubed during the build process, but it is just a guess. Either way the fork rides great overall, but still feels like like something is grinding through the stanchons slowly.

Overall, I like the fork a lot but am seriously disappointed in Fox customer service. My previous 32 was also messed up out of the box since it would not fully extend. Their feedback of ride it was less than satisfactory after spending the amount of money they as for this fork. It is still not right and now I have to spend a week without my bike to fix a manufacturing defect. Product gets 4 stars, but value gets 2.

Favorite Trail:   Noble