Fox Racing Shox 32 Talas 140 FIT RL 2012 Forks

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Anyone worldwide may purchaseThis FOX Racing Shox product, however,The delivery address must be insideThe United States."Performance" level forks from FOX give you exactly what you needTo conquerTheTrail at hand.TheTalas 140 RL equips you with adjustableTravel, rebound, and lockout for efficient climbing. FIT (FOX IsolatedTechnology): Air and oil do mix, and inThe world of suspension, it degrades performance. Foxs isolationTechnology employs a bladder systemThat simply keepsThe oil and air fro

Submitted by Cort Cooper

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Can adjust to three lengths (110, 130, 150) and yet they weigh little more than an unadjustable version. The adjustability is great feature. When climbing or on fire roads I use the 110 setting. When coming down long rough sections; the 150 setting.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I been riding these shocks for 3 years and love them. I have used perhaps 4-5 other medium-cost shocks. This is by far the best.

Submitted by Redline06 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    The new 15QR really does make the front more stiff laterally while pushing hard into a turn. The new Kashima Coat is smooth as silk. The travel adjustment is easy. Super plush, yet stiff, makes the bike feel more connected.

Bottom Line:
This Is an upgrade from my old FOX Van 125 RLC, it was still working fine I just felt it was time to upgrade. I have been a FOX fan since I got my first FOX fork 9 years ago, and this new one is keeping me a fan. This is well worth the money, its a great upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   www.bikebling.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox Van 125 RLC

Bike Setup:   2006 Santacruz Blur, XT/XTR components, Chris King/Mavic wheels. 2012 RP23 Shock.

Submitted by Structure a All Mountain Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    My fork was plush and ride-able right out of the box. It also feels very ridged and confidence inspiring for such a light weight, longish travel fork. The 15mm axle is a breeze to use. I thought it might require a learning curve, but it was very easy and more importantly, it's such a positive simple engagement that it inspires a lot more confidence than my previous 9mm QR.

I have 5 rides on the fork so far (~45-50 miles) and I'm starting to feel comfortable with the controls and settings. The travel adjust is so easy to flick that I actually use it once in a while. I would probably have bought a Float instead of a Talas if I wasn't getting a crash replacement, but I'm actually sort of glad to have the Talas just because it's not so easy to switch travel. Setting air pressure and sag took some experimentation. Fox recommends 95 lbs for my weight, but I'm down to 70 lbs in the fork now and it feels much better and I'm getting close to the recommended sag. The low speed compression adjustment on the right fork leg is also easy to reach and set. I'm not convinced I have the settings dialed ideally yet, but it's certainly reassuring to have options and to see how easy everything is to adjust.

The Kashima coating is one of the more obvious selling features of these forks, but only time will tell if they really protect the stantions. As of now, the fork is fairly plush so I'm a fan.

The fork really shines when plowing through chunky rough and steep stuff. It keeps the tire on the ground and doesn't deflect. As long as you hold on tight! Rode a local rough downhill last week in the dark (with my light...). This forced be to "plow" through the chunk more than I had been. The fork ate it right up. Very confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Obviously, one might sweat the price, but I'm inclined to think you get a lot for your money with this fork. Plus Fox has stood behind their products for me.

Bottom Line:
Looking at the other posted reviews (only 2 right now) it's obvious that someone has had troubles with these (or perhaps doesn't like Fox?). I was ready to buy a cheaper RockShox, until, Fox came through with a crash replacement because they couldn't repair my old Talas. They certainly didn't have to do this for me, but they did. In the process they not only made me a happy customer and happy rider, they seriously increased their chances of being the fork on the front of the next bike I buy. Quality stuff done right.

Favorite Trail:   Morning Glory

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   2004 Fox Talas RLC

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Enduro. 2012 Fox Talas RLC 140 (crash replacement). Push'ed Fox Float on the rear. For an older bike, this thing has really come alive. I won't need to replace it for another year or two!

Submitted by MBA a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Looks cool with the new Kishima coating

Weaknesses:    Not Plush yet.

Bottom Line:
The first ride was alarming because the fork was very harsh. Even standing still, there was noticable stiction and crunchiness when compressed. Wondered if I made an expensive mistake?

I now have 90 miles on it and it has become more plush, but still not there yet.

Any idea of the break-in period needed?

Favorite Trail:   Noble

Purchased At:   Ellsworth

Similar Products Used:   '04 Talas

Bike Setup:   '12 Ellsworth Ephipany, XO components.

Submitted by Julie a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    Full travel and wonderfully smooth

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment on the bottom of the right stanchion can't be adjusted while riding..no big deal.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2012 FIT Talus 140/110 RLC. I have had 2 previous Talus forks. I am a lightweight rider at 125 with gear and they have always seemed harsh and have never gotten full travel no matter how I played with the rebound and compression damping or set the sag. If I put less than 50 lbs preload the fork wouldn't work correctly, with diving and lack of full return. I had a trip to Colorado planned this summer and visited North of the Border to see what the folks there might recommend in terms of trying a lighter oil or ? ? ?. Mike unhesitatingly recommended the new, completely redesigned Talus, saying it was "night and day" compared to the old ones. I trusted him to not just be thinking of $$$. So I did it...hoping it would be more than a minor upgrade for the $$$. It was pretty sticky and crunchy with the first few pushes in the parking lot but in the first ride I could tell it was a big improvement, using full travel and soaking up bumps that usually worked me like a jackhammer. Now that I have 100 + miles on it, it is smooth as silk and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fork. I rarely use the lower setting as now it compresses the way it is supposed to when I put weight over the front, but I do like the lower setting on steep uphill switchbacks. I was running my tires at very low pressures trying to get better traction, but with this fork I can run higher tire pressures with the same or better traction. I used to constantly fuss with the rebound and compression damping settings depending on conditions with my old forks but on this one, I just set things up once and haven't had to touch them since. Did I say I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fork ? Big thanks to North of the Border for their recommendation.

Favorite Trail:   Lots