Cannondale Lefty Ultra 2012 Forks

• OPI 3D-forged inner leg/spindle
  • 120mm travel, 1391 GR

Submitted by skiahh

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, light, unique

Weaknesses:    Some extra maintenance (over regular forks) required, bob when climbing (but quickly eliminated with the PBR lockout)

Bottom Line:
120 Ultra converted to140, then reduced to 110mm for a 29er.

I wasn't sure just what difference I'd notice with this fork; I'm not an elite rider or a "princess and the pea" type who notices a lot of subtle differences, but the Lefty does make a difference. The claims of stiffer and smoother, however, are absolutely accurate. One of my training rides very obviously proved just how smooth this fork is. I ride up a dirt road to get miles and elevation (~12 miles, 3000' steady climbing) and then back down. The road is full of washboard and with my Fox, my hands and arms would be buzzing and aching at the bottom. With the Lefty, I feel a very slight vibration blasting downhill over the washboard sections and nothing more. On singletrack, it goes where you point it and rolls smoothly over everything, even bigger hits and drops. And I have noticed some of the more subtle differences, too where I realize the front is gliding along smoothly where my old Fox would have transmitted some of that to me. And I can visually see it on video, too. I mount my Contour Roam on my frame against the headtube on the right side (clear field of view because of no right leg on the fork!) and the video is very smooth over some rough terrain.

Oh, and you save a bit of weight over a conventional fork, too.

This fork is great and I will eventually put one on my HT, too.

I purchased it from Project 321 and can't rave enough about their customer service. Jake worked with me over many months to help me figure out a direction (Lefty and/or wheels) and then get the order completed and installed. If you need/want a Lefty conversion kit for your non-Cannondale frame, call Jake!

Purchased At:   Project 321