RockShox Reba XX Dual Air 2011 Forks

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Reba XX XX Motion Control damping with external Floodgate, low-speed compression and beginning stroke rebound adjustments XLoc hydraulic remote lockout is designedTo work with Matchmaker X and Avid Disc Brake Levers (XX, X0, CR Mag) Dual Flow rebound damping allows separate return speeds for large and small impacts Forged, Hollow AL-66TV Crown 32mm 7000 series aluminum upperTubes Magnesium lower legs Power Bulge reinforcesThe lower bushing for increased stiffness and durability

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

~ G2 offset has stability and quick turning
~ XLoc Motion Control DNA lockout superior than Fox
~ Infinite tuneability, of Dual Air
~ Tapered steer tube
~ 1646g weight(7.25" steer tube, 9mmQR)

Weaknesses:    ~ No longer produced

Bottom Line:
The 2012-up Rock Shox Solo Air forks are nowhere near the velvety, plush feel of these beauties. Excellent big-hit compliance and crazy, fine-tuneability makes for one the finest, modern Rock Shox forks ever made, since going to tapered steerers and 32mm stanchions.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park

Manitou Tower Pro 29

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - SRAM XX; Enve; Ritchey WCS

Submitted by Jfloren

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    A truly fantastic fork for XC/trail/Am. Sucks up the bumps like nobody's business. Lightweight. Pushbutton hydraulic lockout works perfectly. Highly tunable and plush. Reliable, easy to maintain, good support and manuals from SRAM, and it is an excellent value.

Weaknesses:    This fork is extremely adjustable, which means proper setup requires 30 minutes and an understaning of how the fork works. This is NOT a weakness of the fork -- it is a strength -- but it can make the fork easy to misunderstand (as evidenced by some other reviews).

Bottom Line:
The Reba XX 29er delivers a very plush and compliant ride, absorbing bumps large and small to such an extent that I basically don't even think about choosing the smoothest line on a downhill; I just pick the one that looks most fun and know that this fork will absorb any roots or small drops. (I have it on a hardtail bike and generally avoid drops over about 24 inches). The positive and negative air chambers are genius (can't believe they are doing away with this feature) and provide a terrific combination of big and small bump compliance when dialed in properly. In my case, I like the negative chamber about 10 psi less than the positive, but other people prefer differently. I have had no problems, no leaks, and have no complaints whatsoever about this terrific fork.

The lockout is great. At first I didn't think I would like it, but it was easy to adjust the floodgate to the desired setting (close to stiffest; I like a stiff lockout) and with a simple push of the Xloc button it goes from plush to nearly rigid. I do wish sometimes that it was easier to tell whether the Xloc button is out (locked out) or in (normal riding); the two settings are very close to each other. This fork was set for 80mm travel when I got it; I converted it to 100mm easily by removing one of the spacers in the air spring. The adjustable rebound dampening is also very useful and produces a noticable difference between fast and slow; I like it right in the middle.

I assume that SRAM has done away with the dual air feature for 2013 models because some people didn't understand it or how to set it up properly. (For example, one of the reviews below says that positive and negative air leak into each other, locking out the fork, which is simply impossible. If the two air chambers leak into each other, it will merely equalize the pressure between them and this cannot possibly lock out the fork. This fellow either had too much oil in the dampener side of the fork (which will prevent the dampener from working and lock it out or his dampener valve -- an easily serviced part -- was stuck shut.) That's a shame, because tuning the dual air system is easily done.

Another point that some people don't seem to understand is that a high-end fork is a complex piece of machinery and thus requires some maintenance. My Reba XX has required less maintenance than my wife's Fox Evolution 32, which has already blown through its bushings in less than a year, and the Reba is much easier to maintain. It is also slighly better at absorbing the bumps in my experience. If you take the fork apart, you will see what a beauty it is on the inside. Like any hydraulic/air sprung fork, it needs to have a precise amount of oil in the hydraulic side, good, well-lubed seals, and you need to keep the dirt out of it to protect the bushings and stanchions. (That's the only reason lower leg oil changes are recommended; to make sure there is still clean oil in there lubricating the stanchion/bushing interface.)

I was reluctant to buy a Rockshox product at first due to my mistaken assumption that the more expensive Fox forks must be better. Fox certainly makes fine products, but it is an error to assume they are better than Rockshox.

Submitted by Bikinaz a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    This fork is exceptional for XC riding Smooth on the little stuff. Almost impossible to bottom it out. Handles big hits very well.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. It looks like frequent maintenance will be required

Bottom Line:
This shock came on the bike I just bought. According to the seller it had about 800 miles on it. Coming off a rigid, and being a huge fan of carbon front forks in general, I expected to dislike this fork. When I first jumped on and rode a little on the street I was sure my suspicions and worries were confirmed. The front end felt unstable and I could see the flex when I was track standing. I just knew this fork was going to washout and be vague like driving a minivan. I rode those forks in the past. I just knew this fork was going to last a week or two, max and I’d be back on my rigid.

Well I added a little extra air to the front tire hoping to eliminate that squirmy part of the equation and off I went. At first, (remember my negative attitude) I felt the lock out was junk and didn’t really work. Well in a seated position I started to realize hey this does work pretty well, maybe even great. So I’m doing the long climb and things are going great, then it gets steeper, and I see that if you “mash it” it does bob and flex. It isn’t terrible but I found myself thinking about maybe a trading it for a nice carbon fork. I just didn’t like the feel of the squish on every pedal.

I get to the top and begin the nice smooth single track decent. Again I’m expecting the worst, but I find myself grinning a little more. I start to trust the bike a little more and pretty soon I’m carving as well as my old fork. I even get a little drifting in and it still felt like it was tracking well and didn’t get out of control. Now we get to the washes with the defining test. You blast down into the bottom, expecting the wind to get knocked out of you…but no, you hit hard, nothing. I didn’t even bottom out. On my old bike it was an experience that would make your heart feel like it bounced off your knees.

I now I have 3 serious rides on this fork and I just remembered and I’ve been reminded of what I hate most about front shocks. I hate the maintenance. And guess what. This fork delivers to that end in spades! Now I’m off for a rebuild kit. The upside is the bobbing on the fork is gone; sadly I’m just left with the flex.

Am I ready to cash in the Reba XX for a Niner Carbon? Absolutely. I can live with a little ill mannerism in just a small area. I mean really how often do I really mash? However, when you have to pull and rebuild this fork in less than a year? That leads me to believe this is just the tip of the ice burg. I believe this fork is not for a serious rider. I mean if you really do ride and rack up miles, you’ll be working on this fork a whole bunch. If you like bling, and a steep entry price to pay, this is your fork. If you only ride occasionally and want a super smooth ride that excels in all XC conditions, this is your baby. If you have to have a remote lockout cause it’s cool, buy mine? :-)

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on at that moment

Bike Setup:   Niner One9, I-9 wheels

Submitted by Chili Mo Tee

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Out of the box new this is a good fork . The lock out is great.

Weaknesses:    Price an quality . I rode this fork for season about 5000 miles pulled the maintenance, The issue is after a while this design will leak air between the negative and positive chambers an it just locks up . I have replaced the seals and it works for a while but it always seems to leak and lock up after a few rides.

Bottom Line:
For the Money go with a Fox Fork much better quality. This will be my last Rock Shox they just dont last more than one season.

Submitted by LandSpeed a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    Lockout

Weaknesses:    When the lockout isn't on

Bottom Line:
Without the lockout on, it's way too supple. I can bottom it out by just pressing down on the handlebars and holding the front brake. I have it above the recommended PSI for my weight, too. When the lockout is on, it's just about right. When it is locked out, it climbs and tracks well, and doesn't get too squirmy. It should have:
1. Full lockout (with blowoff)
2. More control over damping
3. More pressure and resistance, period.

I'm putting a Fox Talas 29 with Terralogic on my next build (a Santa Cruz Tallboy). Meh.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   E-bike shop

Bike Setup:   Redline d460 29'er (hardtail).

Submitted by tempobon a Weekend Warrior from Morrisville, PA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    XX tackles it all. Very smooth. Great on rock gardens. Remote hydro lockout is great for transitioning to climbs. Lots of flexibility on rebound settings.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny, old suspension was just not up to the beating and jumps blew the lockout cartridge. This one asks "Is this all you got?"

Favorite Trail:   Neshaminy

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Dart 3

Bike Setup:   Raliegh Talus 29. Stock parts with the exception of this suspension and Richey post.

Submitted by JOwens14 a Cross Country Rider from Lynchburg, VA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, thru-axle, SO so plush, Xloc is quick and nice

Weaknesses:    I'm in the vast minority that prefer a hex-locked 20mm axle over the Maxle.

Bottom Line:
Great great XC/trail fork. Like previous late-model Rebas, the fork can really do anything from racing to epic to all-mountain styles. I'm incredibly rough on my components and not only has the functionality of this fork held up, but the cosmetics as well. The XLoc system is nice and incredibly easy to use on the trail - almost zero thought required, plus you barely have to move your hand. It is incredibly plush and can be adjusted in many ways to suit your riding needs/wants. MUCH easier to work on than newer Fox forks, and IMO, just as nice to ride on.

As a word of advise -if you ever flip the bike upside down for any length of time, the hydraulic fluid gets a little screwing in the lockout. When it gets flipped upright, press the trigger in and out 3 or 4 times and it'll be good to go. I got this fork on a great trade, but it's very expensive otherwise. I'm not sure the XX is worth the financial upgrade over the Team edition unless you intend to incorporate all XX components into your gearing and/or really want a quick trigger lockout. Great great fork otherwise, and if you have deep pockets, I can't think of a better one to recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Candlers

Purchased At:   got off trade

Similar Products Used:   Older RS Rebas, 09/08/07/06 Manitou Minute(s), Manitou R7, Marzocchi XC700, Marzocchi ETA Bomber, Rock Shox Sid

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred, RS Reba XX, Mavic 819/Hope Pros, Easton EA70

Submitted by jeff-y a Racer from phoenix Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Strengths:    Being an avid XC racer Im always looking for a great functional piece of equipment thats light, works great and looks good as well. This fork is amazing. its the best fork Ive ever rode. The hydro lock out feature works great, Its nice to have lock out right on the fly. Ive had other remote lock out systems but this one by far is the cleanest/smoothest out of them all. when your hammering up a climb all you have to do is push the button. you dont have to remove your hands at all. As far as handling and stiffness goes. You can really "point and shoot " with this fork. the 32mm stantions are nice and stiff. all around this fork handles great, its smooth and it looks great. love the white.

Weaknesses:    I really dont have any bad things to say about this fork. I highly recomend this fork.

Bottom Line:
LOVE IT !!!

Purchased At:   sponsor provided.

Bike Setup:   specialized HT 29er. All Sram xo.

Reba XX Dual air Vs. Fox 32 F29

Hey Fellas, I have a 2011 Anthem x29 that has a Fox 32 F29 fork. I am starting to get a thick grease type coating on the stanchions. LBS says it needs to be rebuilt. I have about 70 hours on the forks and upon questioning a few folks I have found out that this is quite a long run before needin ... Read More »

REBA XX 29"er Dual Air service....

Yes, I have posted in the Shock and Suspension thread. However, waiting for answers there is akin to watching paint dry on a very humid and rainy day.:D:D Prelude to my Question: My 2010 REBA XX tapered Dual Air fork that came with my JET 9 needs to be overhauled (not getting full travel which ... Read More »

Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 20mm or Fox F32 29er FIT with QR15?

Hi there, I am thinking about of getting a new fork, and can’t decide between the Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 20mm axle system, or the Fox F32 29er FIT with QR15 axle. Riding would be XC/ Marathon with a hardtail, and I must admit I am around 200lbs... Which one would be your choice? In the past ... Read More »

New fork F120RLC vs Reba XX dual air

I need a new fork. I have a F80RL from 2003. It has been ridden very hard and serviced regularly but the problems are stacking up. Coating is worn off the stanchions where the bushings overlap, bushings are toast, small dent in the lower casting not where it interferes with the bushing. But now ther ... Read More »