RockShox Reba RLT 2011 Forks

The Reba fork series has developed a cult following acrossThe world. Everyone loves how lightThe Reba is, without sacrificing quality.The Reba is now 100 grams lighter for 2012.The Reba features dual air, which has independently adjustable positive and negative spring chambers. Dual Air is perfect for racing orTrail riding. It also features Motion Control, which helps you climbThe largest of hills with ease.The PushLoc allows youTo lock out your fork at a moment’s notice.The Air U-Tu

Submitted by Scott Pendleton

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Plush, responsive, ultra tuneable, reliable, durable, light weight, stiff, reasonable price

Weaknesses:    Complicated to tune just right, requires playing with settings a lot to get just right, not so good performance if this is not done, color coordinating can be tough?

Bottom Line:
I have the 100mm 29er version of this fork, I bought it aftermarket so it's white.

Basically, I love this fork. It's light, it's a good price (especially compared to the Fox F29 with similar specs), it performs well when you get it set right. I'd happily buy it again.

The rub is, unlike the Fox which is pretty simple to tune right out of the box, the Reba requires some attention to get just right, and support for how to tune it is negligible. You'll have to read some forums and just play with the settings for a while. It took me a few months of riding before I really figured out the optimal settings for air (both positive and negative), theshold, compression, and rebound. And since all of these play off each other with changing one affecting another (i.e. increasing negative air requiring a little more rebound damping), getting the balance just right involves a lot of fiddling. So while the Fox is easy to get to its full potential immediately, the Reba requires more thought, work, and time. But...once you put in that time, the Reba will outperform the Fox in my opinion. You can get it EXACTLY where you want it to be. If the "optimal" tune for the Fox happens to be what you want then that fork will serve you better, but the Reba can really be tuned to anything, so whatever your preferences you can get this fork to do it. You'll have to spend some time getting there, but you can actually get there which is not necessarily true of the Fox.

Reliability for this fork has been excellent for me. I rode it a full 9 months and 1000 miles before I serviced it at all, and even then it didn't need it, I was just taking pre-emptive care. I replaced the seals with Enduros because even though the RS seals are good, the new-generation Enduros are better. Stiction has always been nigh nonexistent. Even working on the thing is pretty easy, with no more air bleeding or other headaches.

I said this fork is stiff and mean that in a relative sense; I have a 9mm QR fork and compared to other forks in this category, it's stiff enough that I didn't notice much flex. Someone driving it harder might notice but for an XC race fork it does just fine for me (150lbs).

So if you're willing to take the time to get this fork set just like you want it, then it's a fantastic fork and will serve you well.

Submitted by Mr Cabletwitch a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster,Pa,USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Very smooth and much much stiffer than the 07 it replaced

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Best value in the rock shox line up for a 29er. I had a hard time deciding between this and the RLT Ti or the Fox Terralogic, ended up with this because in the end I couldn't justify the extra money. I'm happy with my decision because in the end its much better than what it replaced.

Favorite Trail:   Gretna

Similar Products Used:   07 Reba, manitou r7, Fox

Bike Setup:   Niner MCR 9

Submitted by Sharpix a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    With the 5 adjustable parameters ( positive air chamber, negative air chamber, rebound, compression and gate of the compression), the more you use it and learn, the more usable it gets. You can fine tune small bumps while not even going to full compression going down on big rocks, or can have it stiffer but controllable and compliant. Its a formidable fork.

Weaknesses:    The adjustability itself. The learning curve might take a while if you don't put attention of what you do. There was one day where i went overbars three times because i didn't setup it correctly, it dived too much when stepping down rocks. :P I did setup wrong the thing that day.

Bottom Line:
Great fork, very adjustable, fantastic, it can be a chameleon of fork through adjustments, very stiff race, compliant but controllable, or plush as silk. A great value, great piece of equipment.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Ladder

Purchased At:   Teknobike Mx

Similar Products Used:   Tora 302SL.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC 07, Reba RLT 120mm front, Xfusion rear shock, Mavic Crossride rims, Avid BB7 brakes.

Submitted by PauloC a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Adjustability - can fine tune pretty much everything, remote lockout, plushness, price.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I love this fork! Granted I moved over from a decidedly entry level fork, but this fork just feels awesome. It just eats ups the trail. The dual air chamber ensures I don't even feel the small bumps and you're able to fine-tune the sag and rebound to the nth degree to suit your riding style. Also love the handlebar mounted lock-out - very useful on long climbs.

Favorite Trail:   Giba Gorge