Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO Ti 2011 Forks

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Marzocchi 888-RC3 EVO-Ti Fork 2010: Single-sided titanium coil spring system with external coil preload and air volume adjustability. RC3 EVO open-bath oil damping cartridge: externally adjustable rebound and auto high/low compression...

Submitted by Vinc a Weekend Warrior from Namur, Belgium

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Super stiff, incredibly light, very smooth but still doesn't feel like on a boat when pedaling. Basics settings very efficient

Weaknesses:    Why don't they change this ugly and heavy stem ? Poor quality of the screws. Don't feel any big difference with the volume adjust...

Bottom Line:
It took me a bit of time to find my setups but since I found them, it work perfectly! Actually, it rather simple, the volume adjust.. heu don't care about it. Then compression fully open most of the time (I weight 83 kg) and rebound.. as usual. Some people say it feels like the old 2007 but I would add that it's more stable but also a bit less comfortable.

Please Marzocchi engineers, if you read this, design a new stem or at least an upper crown that allows us to fix other directmount stems.

Favorite Trail:   Chaudfontaine

Purchased At:   veloflash

Similar Products Used:   888 wc 2007, 66 ata, tested many other but for shorter periods

Bike Setup:   Nicolai Mpire/rohloff, Romic, other big stuff, Yeti 4x, Yeti As-x...

Submitted by vitamindimo a Downhiller from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly active, progressive enough to virtually eliminate bottom-out

Weaknesses:    boring colors, can't wait for the upgrade kit!

Bottom Line:
I blew the cartridge in my Fox 40 so All Mountain Cyclery let me run this 888 while they fixed my fork. Wow! Right out of the gate I could feel a huge improvement over the 40. Very active, excellent small bump compliance, it smoothed out the trail in ways the 40 never could. Faster, smoother, less arm pump. And even though it's quick to respond to small bumps it has yet to bottom out on the really big stuff. I run mine fully open so I can't say much about the adjustments, but it feels so good right out of the box. Not sure what spring's in there but I'm 200 lb.

I had always heard bad things re: Marzo (mainly because of the 2008/2009 model issues) so I never tried them and always stuck with Fox. Man was I wrong. This fork was a real eye opener, and now I'm running 100% Marzo (55 Ti / Roco Air LO, and 888 Ti / Roco WC) on both my bikes. In fact I never reinstalled the 40, it's on a one-way trip to eBay along with my Talas 36, DHX 5.0 air, and RC4. If you ride smooth, groomed trails Fox may be a better choice since it pedals well. But if you ride rocky, technical stuff Marzocchi is where it's at.

Favorite Trail:   Reaper at Bootleg Canyon, NV

Purchased At:   All Mountain Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Fox 40 RC2, Boxxer Team

Bike Setup:   2010 Glory w/ RC4 steel spring, soon to be V10 Carbon w/ Roco WC

Submitted by mjdthunder a Downhiller from irvine

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2010

Strengths:    Super plush, 38 mm structure is super stiff, low maintenance,can handle the huge hits, and did I mention this fork is low maintenance -dont have to break it down every month like the other top fork manufacturers, 3 year warranty no questions asked...does not get any better than that!

Weaknesses:    Would love to see two separate compression knobs - High and low.

Bottom Line:
This fork is flipping amazing, light, stiff, stays glued to the ground, has a beefy structure and is sooooo reliable. I love the fact that I don't have to break the fork down every month at 100.00 bucks a pop. The guys at Zoch are always great and what other fork has a 3 year warranty?????? Unheard of! If you get this fork, make sure you get the WORKS treatment from MARZO...you wont be sorry! Five Flaming flamers for this bad boy!

Favorite Trail:   P & G

Similar Products Used:   fox 40, 2008 wc 888 air

Bike Setup:   demo 8 2010 888 wc and ti fox rc4 sram xo

Submitted by Raphael a Downhiller from Itatiba,São Paulo,Brasil

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    great dammping , very smooth , all the adjusts works a lot in every kind of trail.

Bottom Line:
i had used a fox 40 about one year and thought that i could felt a big difference betwen the forks. as the time goes by and i ride my 888 i get more satisfied with my purchase. the fork works a lot and the sound of the rebound sounds like music .

Favorite Trail:   Saracura

Purchased At:   bikerspoint

Similar Products Used:   travis , fox 40.

Bike Setup:   SC driver 8 , Sram XO , BB Hossfeller , Mavic 823 wheels , Chris King Hubs

Submitted by SAXON a Downhiller from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Fantasic, stiff good damping. Big M back on form. 3year waranty

Weaknesses:    Only buy if you are between 12.5 and 13 stone. The can only seem to supply 1 spring rate. Mine is fitted with the std 5.5nm spring i have been wait three months for the 6.5. fitten the 7.7 steel spring, way to hard. S*@t backup from the Big M

Bottom Line:
Potentially the best fork on the market: If you are not over say 13.5 – 14 stone. Other wise stick with any of the others that give you the correct spring rate. The big M have yet again let themselves down. How hard can it be to get the correct spring rate? All the other fork manufactures can manage it.

Favorite Trail:   BCS

Purchased At:   Liesure lakes

Similar Products Used:   Boxxers, 40's

Bike Setup:   Sweet

Submitted by hogbackvt a Weekend Warrior from Waterville, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Plush plush plush, very adjustable, easily maintainable, 3 yr factory warranty

Weaknesses:    Cost (duh)

Bottom Line:
Got a discount for trade in of old unrepairable 888r towards new fork. Took two dh runs with only a little rebound and a little compression, no preload or air volume adjust on, and it's perfect! I weigh 220 and there was no diving...at the end of both runs the fork was twice as plush as when starting out. No slop in bushings whatsoever. Can't wait to see how smooth it is after the next 19.5 hrs of break in time. Will post another review at that point. So far...it's sick, looks great, rides great, eats up terrain and is very light feeling, but supple and sturdy! Loving the external adjustments! :P

Favorite Trail:   Bolton Valley or Northfield

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   04' 888r w/ Marz racing cnc flat crowns

Bike Setup:   04' Stab primo, dhx 5.0 w/ ti 550, mtx 33's & hadleys, hayes mags w/ steel lines

Submitted by Paz dh a Racer from Lima-Peru

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Everything on this fork its what i was looking for since i tried marzocchi 888 ti 2007, the sag is really tuneable and you can set your fork as you really want it, its awesome!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I set my bike every downhill

Favorite Trail:   Huasahuasi-Tarma

Purchased At:   Rocky Chumpitasi Rac

Similar Products Used:   Monster t, 888 2006, boxxer wc 2006, boxxer ata 2009, 888 wc ti 2007, 888 rc3 2008, fox 40 2008, fox 40 ti 2009

Bike Setup:   Scott gambler dh10, 888 rc3 evo ti (yeah!) Avid code, e13lg1, truvativ holzefeller cranks, revolution rims, transition handlebar (760mm wide), sram x7, maxxis tires, shimano dx pedals

Submitted by biking435 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2009

Strengths:    Marzocchi went back to their roots with this fork. Amazing feel and lighter than my 08 ata 888! Feels like the forks of old.

Weaknesses:    I weigh 170 and the fork is too stiff for me with the stock spring. I have everything all the way open and still too stiff. I am working with marzocchi to get a softer spring.

Bottom Line:
This fork feels just like the 07 888 wc and has a lot of similarities. It feels like the forks of old which are much more plush and smooth than the 08, 09 forks. It will be amazing freeride fork in stock form. For DH racing at my weight it needs to be softer to track better in loose conditions. Once I get the right spring in it I feel that this will be the best fork that I have owned. The new titanium hardware is very nice and the overall quality of the fork seems to be what we all used to expect from marzocchi.