Marzocchi 44 TST2 Air 2011 Forks

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

• 140mm Travel
  • Air Preload
  • TST2 (Lock Out, Rebound)
  • Alloy Steer Tube and Crown
  • 32mm Alloy Stanchions

Submitted by mongoose85 a Downhiller from Spokane, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light Weight, 15mm quick axel

Weaknesses:    Sticky when cold. After a few cycles/ minutes of riding it butters right up.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good value fork that does more than just weight weenie XC riding. 'Who needs more than 80mm for XC anyways?' However, Ive used it for XC racing to light freeride and it seems to handle SMOOTH jumps up to twenty five feet or so if you're light on it. It seems to make a good all around park fork. Drops, it does up to six feet okay as long as you're smooth yet again. Nice thing about it is if you forget to un-lock it after you get to the top and blow it out on a drop/jump later on thusly blowing out the 'lock down' features, a simple disassemble and reassemble fixes the problem. It does have a lot of flex in high-g corners though which worries me as to what it will do on longer jumps or rock gardens/hard hit obsticals one day. This is accentuated with wider bars as well which then starts to make the front end wander during high speed corning, trail riding.

I give it 5 chili's for value but only 3 for over all because of the massive flex even with the 15mm axle.

Favorite Trail:   Hollywood

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzhocchi AM3, Drop Off, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   09' Teocali Elite, Atlas Bars, Holzfeller Stem, Race Face Bash and rings

Submitted by MArtinGC a Weekend Warrior from Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    godlook, excelent adjust, smooth and works great on high hills 4600msnm down the hill ofcourse..!

Weaknesses:    the lock out stop work in about 3 months but just leve it this way and still work great

Bottom Line:
Same as Rudy says, need more air than the manual says, 55-60 lbs rahter than the 45-50 in the manual. but the best of all is smooooth..!

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco

Purchased At:   A la montaña, Mexico

Similar Products Used:   RST, rock shok 302 100mm

Bike Setup:   Specialized XC fsr comp full susp, xt and xl drive, Hayes 9, alex rim 32h, Kenda Navegal 2.0

Submitted by Rudy a Cross Country Rider from Kutztown, PA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Lighter than my old coil, black, smooth

Weaknesses:    flexy, requires more air than manual recommends, travel adjustment

Bottom Line:
Well, it's been requiring some ride technique adjustments to go from a coil to an air preload fork. I have this fork set for 130mm which is what my Minute was also. The difference is that I rarely ever felt like I was using up all 130mm of travel on the coil fork. But on the air I am consistently pushing through the entire length of the stanchions...I'm not bottoming out...just using all the travel there is. I also put about 62 - 65 lbs of pressure in the fork even though the manual recommends 58 lbs for my 180 lbs of my 'on bike weight.'

I have countered that diving feeling with a bit more neutral/rear stance on the bike while descending, where on the coil I was more neutral/front. This fork does have more flex than the Minute did; but I don't know if that is an air to coil thing or a Marzocchi to Manitou thing. The 44 weighs about a pound less than the Minute did; which is great for the climbs and keeping up with my weight weenie buds, but the bigger impacts have me fighting some wiggle in the bars.

I wish this fork had travel adjustment and not the lock out, but the price was right and the Minute was no longer available. I've been wanting to have the spacer removed and ride this fork at 150mm and see how it goes. Wish my hubs were 15mm thru's; because I think that is the difference maker in a fork like this. If you have the 15mm QR then this is a real nice fork for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Everything in the Lehigh Valley

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute :02 coil 130mm, Manitou Black coil 120mm

Bike Setup:   '06 Santa Cruz Heckler w/ Sun SOS rims and Disc Jockey hubs, Fox DHX 5.0 Air rear shock, XT train and shifters, Avid BB7 mechs and levers

Submitted by fatcat a Weekend Warrior from los angeles CA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    I like the adjustments, the ride is nice and its rather good looking for a fork at this price.

Weaknesses:    really doesnt seem like 140mm travel, more like 120mm

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best long travel fork you can get for a hardtail because it has the lockout and plenty of travel.
Its pretty lightweight too and I like the TSTR knob on the top crown.

I've bombed off curbs and off small chutes and the air has not blown out. Its a very reliable fork. I wanted to get the 15mm front axle version but that meant changing the hub so I thought, screw that. I highly recommend this fork.

Similar Products Used:   rockshox psylo

Bike Setup:   2008 kona stuff

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Strengths:    Well made and beefy; simplistic controls; and easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Plush when not locked out; and does not have micro adjustments.

Bottom Line:
Used about one month so this is a preliminary report for those who may be looking to buy this fork. It is very well made and slightly on the heavy side but it is a mtb fork and I am no weight weenie seeking person. The fork when locked out still provides 20mm of travel which is barely noticeable unless going real slow. The fork is rather plush when unlocked. There is no micro adjustment which would be very nice but there are models in the Marz lineup that will give you that feature. There has not been one single issue even after bashing down Green's Lick in Bent Creek like a bat out of hell! No minor leaks and the fork never bottomed. It also comes with a 120mm option but I kept it at 140mm like it came. The fit and finish of the fork is excellent with no superficial flaws or areas of concern. The rebound knob I found came off easy but I suspect it was not pressed on completely from the factory. I pressed it on all the way and it is good and snug. Holds air without an issue of leak even after rough downhills. For the money and if one needs a beefier fork for XC riding which will handle some jumps and rough terrain to include lose rocks; gravel; hardpack dirt; roots; stumps; stream crossings; and some minor drops up to a couple of feet then buy it. I will certainly update this rating if the fork fails for reasons it should not.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek area