Magura Durin Race 2011 Forks

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Adjustment possibilities: Dynamic Lockout+ (DLO+)
  • Travel: 100 mm
  • Disc mounts: PM 6"
  • Dropouts: Safety dropouts (SDO), 9 mm

Submitted by meroi a Racer from General Santos City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent small bump compliance, superb stiffness due to the Double Arch Design, could take moderate hits without bottoming out and more importantly, very responsive but at the same time forgiving of small mistakes. Another very good attribute of this fork is that it locks out at the travel it's at when you lock it out. Finally, the workmanship (outside--very nice decals, inside--no plasticky parts), typical of German designed and manufactured products is exceptional. And by the way, did I say it IS very light at less than 1.4kg considering its stout and robust build?

Weaknesses:    The open cable portion for the RCL (Remote Lockout) near the head tube needs some improvement.

Bottom Line:
First, the Magura Durin Race 100, despite its 100 mm travel still keeps the stance of my 2009 Trek 8500 racy with a BB height of 12.5 inches. I think it's because Magura has designed its lower tubes shorter than competing forks. It is very important for me as a competitive cross-country biker because it keeps my cockpit low and aerodynamic for those breakaways during XC point-to-point races.

Second, it just makes me one with my bike never needing to have to think of adjustments on the fly but just focus on the racetrack and my shifting.

Thirdly, it's such a huge factor that despite its light weight, it has a lateral rigidity that rivals or even exceeds the most expensive forks from other brands, thus, using it on Sunday trail rides it still delivers wonderfully. It's been 6 months since I bought this product and I've been raving since then.

I have owned and tried some of the best forks out there but the Magura Durin tops my list.

Favorite Trail:   Buhawi Ridge

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2010 Manitou R7 MRD Absolute, 2009 RockShox SID Team, Suntour Axon and 2009 Fox TALAS RLC

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek 8500 hardtail, Stan's ZTR with Tank Suplite hubs and DT Swiss Revo spokes, Ritchey WCS cockpit, KCNC seatpost, 2012 XT/XTR Groupset, Schwalbe Furious Fred ran Tubeless with Stan's yellow tape, sealant and tubeless valves.

Submitted by bb12creek a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Great dampening over small bumps and enough travel for larger drops. The fork is rigid, easy to adjust, and has been simple to maintain. Magura's customer service was top notch when dealing with them.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find a weakness with the product.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 2009 Durin Race and after 6 months of hard use (1,000 miles of muddy riding) had worn out the stanchions. Magura was excellent to deal with and replaced the uppers and retrofitted my fork with the 2011 greased system, which is easy to maintain and clean. The fork is stiff, dampens out the chatter, and has plenty of travel. I've ridden it pretty hard and it has held up wonderfully.

Favorite Trail:   Oakridge, Oregon

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Rock Shox Recon

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 1x9 built on a Voodoo Bokor.

2012 DT Swiss XRC 100 Race or 2012 Magura Durin SL

I plan on buying one of these forks. I like the DT Swiss purely because its lightweight. I believe if I want longevity, I should go with the Magura. Thoughts?Read More »

durin race grease instead of oil

Hi i was wondering if anyone here has converted their older durin race from oil to using grease. I saw on magura's website that all you need to do is remove the foam oil ring and clean out the oil and replace with the new fork meister grease.Read More »

Would a 2011 Magura Durin Race 100 make a good XC trail fork?

Having a hard time finding reviews on the Magura Durin R100. I just purchased one to replace an excellent condition '09 Rockshox SID Team ( I was going to give the Sid to my wife). Magura lists on their website that this fork is suitable for both XC and XC racing. When I received the fork the owners ... Read More »

Anybody ride a Magura Durin Race in Central/Southern AZ?

Currently trying to rebuild an old Manitou fork for my wife when I saw a good deal on a Magura Durin Race 100mm. I purchased the fork because it was the last day of the sale and there is a 30 day return policy. I don't know anything about these forks and reviews are scarce. My wife would end up gett ... Read More »