Fox Racing Shox 36 Talas 180 FIT RC2 2011 Forks

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Fox 36 Talas 180 FIT RC2: Each model in the RC2 lineup features our all-new FIT RC2 inverted damper, the industry benchmark for damping performance and reliability. The new FIT RC2 damper lowers un-sprung weight, allowing the fork...

Fox Racing Shox 36 Talas 180 FIT RC2 2011 Forks Pro Review

The TALAS 180 is a superb fork, offering a buttery smooth plush ride, and incredible riding traits, along with excellent features such as the TALAS (180-140) travel adjustment, FIT R2 damper, and slippery Kashima coated stanchions. Fox has a winner with this sucker, and you can call it a Rock Star (pun intended), and it really shows the advancements in fork technology, especially in the All Mountain and Freeride realm, where the boundaries are being pushed. Continue reading →

Submitted by FXRob a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Very plush, stiff, hi/lo speed comp, quick travel adjust.

Weaknesses:    Rebound knob on bottom of fork. Price!!!

Bottom Line:
I've been running an '07 Marzocchi 66SL for about 3yrs now and besides the common issues it has been a pretty good fork. I was looking for something a little more plush and adjustable, and I also hated having to turn the travel adjust knob several times to crank it down for climbs. The Talas is very plush out of the box, absolutely no stiction and feels as good or better than any coil fork I've ever ridden. I'm not even sure what Fox recommends as far as air pressure settings but I weigh 175lbs w/o gear and am running about 55-60psi now.

The a/c height is slightly shorter (roughly 3/8") than my 66 which I was a little worried about as I like the slackness of my 6 Pack with the 66 on it but I barely notice any difference. I can tell that the front end doesn't wander quite as much when climbing steep stuff but it also seems to want to wheelie a bit more since this fork is nearly half a pound lighter than my 66. Overall I'm very impressed with this fork and it isn't even broken in yet. The one main negative is the price, but you get what you pay for and this is the lightest 180mm fork available and very plush at all speeds.

Favorite Trail:   Chiquito

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   66 SL, 36 Vanilla, etc.

Bike Setup:   Turner 6 Pack, Push'd DHX, I-9's etc.

Submitted by Arnon a Downhiller from Ramot

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    I honestly can't find anything that stands out.probably the ability to set it to 140 for easier climbs.

Weaknesses:
Bottoms out easily when set to recommended settings.
When increasing pre-load to avoid bottoming out the ride is rough and far from plush.
Tried almost all combinations between the available four settings ( ie rebound , pre-load , high speed and low speed)

Bottom Line:
Disappointing.

Favorite Trail:   Manara's cliff

Similar Products Used:   MARZUCHI 55 TST

Submitted by Hartley747 a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    This fork is by far the best performer I have ever ridden. It actually feels better then my 08 Fox 40 ever has right out of the box. There's no comparison between the older 36-32 talas forks as this has the best small bump sensitivity I've ever experienced in an all mountain fork.

Remember the first time you rode a real fork? Going from a RS Judy, Manitou SX or Girvin to a 8lb marzocchi? Do you remember the moment you realized that suspension actually works... Well get ready for the next step because this fork will blow your mind.

Most of the time you would swear you were riding a coil fork as the travel is very linear and extremely smooth. As with most Fox forks you must run a significant amount of sag but don't be afraid, you're supposed to use all that travel anyway. The adjustment range on H/L compression and rebound is pretty overwhelming with 24 clicks (on each)to choose from but you're sure to find your sweet spot somewhere in there.

This is my trail fork and although I was nervous about going too big I couldn't be happier with the 180. If you're not too concerned with weight (it's lighter then you think) and love to ride technical terrain (bouncing off every possible feature) buy this fork.

Weaknesses:    It's a Fox, they're a huge company with a great product and they know it. Customer/Dealer service is great but should something break their turn around time mid season can be slow.

Bottom Line:
Ride it

Favorite Trail:   Depends on season...

Purchased At:   Fox

Similar Products Used:   07 Fox 36 Talas RC2, 08 Fox 40, 08 Fox 32 RLC, 07 Fox Van 36...

Bike Setup:   2011 SC Nomad Carbon, 29lbs with the 180 fork and a reverb post.

Submitted by forgotmename a Weekend Warrior from bedfordshire, England

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Strengths:    Buttery smooth, stiff,i have the tapered steerer and i feel it makes it a lot stiffer up front, great damping, both settings on the talas are ideal for all mountain riding ie either up or down with not much flat,looks nice too.

Weaknesses:    Weighed a bit more than advertised, price.

Bottom Line:
I gotta very nice bike! And the fork suits it admirably, i would recommend this fork to any body who can put up with the extra fun, confidence and speed, for a little extra weight, i will say this is easily the best fork i have owned.

Favorite Trail:   L'avancher secret bowl

Purchased At:   marshalls, stevenage

Similar Products Used:   2010 36 rc2 floats, 2007 talas, 2009 talas, 2 step lyrics, wotans.

Bike Setup:   Foes Fxr, 150mm bolt through, american classic or hadley wheels, xtr bits Thompson post n stem, haven bar, grip shift, fox talas 180 rc2

Submitted by Bartek_F1 a Weekend Warrior from Jelenia Góra, POLAND

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    buttery smooth compression, excellent damping, killer looks, superb mid stroke action,

Weaknesses:    little heavy for the all-mountain fork (the way I use it) but very light for downhill fork, low and high speed compression don't make significant difference to me

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best FOX 36 Talas ever made in my opinion. Kashima coating makes real difference in small and medium bump sensitivity. Extra 2cm of travel gives noticeably safer feel in rough terrain. Altho damping has always been the strong side of FOX 36 forks, 2011 model seems to be the real killer in this department. You can't go wrong with this fork. For AM setup I run the fork with 10 PSI less pressure then factory recommended pressure. Works amazing.

Favorite Trail:   around Garda Lake