Fox Racing Shox 32 Talas FIT RLC 2011 Forks

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Fox 32 F150 Talas FIT RLC QR15 Disc: Master the mountain. For 2011, we have produced more usable travel with lower compression ratios for better performance and durability, with improved air spring curves, and ultra low-friction Kashima...

Submitted by Mark Stephenson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    15mm front axle, tapered steering tube.

Weaknesses:    Valving, ride quality and poor construction.

Bottom Line:
This is my third bike with all Fox gear. The 08 and 10 models were flawless this one is very flawed. The valving was so stiff on small bumps even with minimum compression and rebound settings and yet it would use up all the travel. The crown or arch broke above the left stanchion as many others have and metal looked porous and incomplete at broken area. This happened a couple of months after warranty and Fox refused to cover defect and offered to replace the lower assembly for the low price of $320 under crash coverage. This was not crashed or jumped ever. While waiting for Fox I found a new Rockshox RLT dual air for $370. This unit was much better than the Fox and way more tunable with the dual air and settings that worked great. I got the broke Fox back after paying for shipping. The Fox RP23 boost shock was bad from the first ride leaking oil from the valves until it made weird noises and had no real valving that you could count on. This was during first year but the only offered to rebuild it for $100. The once great Fox company now sells products they will not stand behind and are probably going to keep it up. The LBS had a broken Rockshox fork from a real jumping accident and he had a new fork free on his bike before Fox even called back on mine. Ask around the bike shops and you will see this was a trend started in 2011 and continues on.

Favorite Trail:   All

Duration Product Used:   Just over a year.

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Fox F140RLC, Fox 32 Talas RLC.

Bike Setup:   FS with Fox front and rear, XTR build.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth

Weaknesses:    Poor quality/reliability and even worse customer service.

Bottom Line:
The stanchions became scratched just after being out of warranty. It appears bad bushings were causing this, but Fox did not want to own up to anything. They blame the customer for their inferior quality. It is even worse than they give you lines of BS when you call them.

Purchased At:   T-E

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Reba

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 429 Full X0.

Submitted by Mainturion a Cross Country Rider from Eindhoven, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    Stiffness, build quality, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Weight, difficult to get the full travel, no remote lock-out

Bottom Line:
This is for the F29, tapered, 15 mm QR, Talas 95-120. A reliable and responsive fork.
The two travel settings make it great for climbing or XC racing (95 mm travel setting) or going down the rough stuff (120 mm travel).
This is my first 15 mm axle fork, and to be honest: for me it doesn't make a world of difference compared to the 9 mm QR Fox forks I used to ride (and still ride) before. Perhaps that's because I'm not that heavy (71 kg's) or just don't push it to the limits.

Recommended for XC bikers that like to bring their bikes to the mountains once in a while, it will turn your bike into a very capable descender.

Favorite Trail:   Drunense Duinen

Purchased At:   Kim's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2011 F29 100 RLC FIT and older 26" Fox forks

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon with X.0 and XT components

Submitted by Mika Schick a Cross Country Rider from London, England

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Buttery smooth. Fantastic tracking, Stiff, Great small bump compliance

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have now ridden this fork on my new Santa Cruz Blur LT2 for about half a year and I guess it's time for a review. I ride mostly what can be described as trail riding. My fork is the model with the kashima coating and what a difference it makes. The fork is buttery smooth and tracks any trail at any speed. It is very stiff and for the first time, very light.
I love the new Talas adjustment of two positions. 150 and 120. I have never needed the middle one as all I need on the Blur is the full travel and the short one for very long, steep up-hills. As the bike tracks fantastically well on the 150 setting, I do not need a middle setting.
So far the fork has worked flawlessly, and if my past experience with Fox is anything to go by, It will only need an oil and seal change once a year.
A word of advice. Take your time to learn all the adjustments on this fork and then, take your time to dial it in until it feels perfect. It is worth every second as you can have a great fork that is not adjusted right which will then feel like an entry level pogo stick.
It took me about 4-5 rides to find the perfect settings for me. There is a lot of material to help you with this on the web.
All in all, I warmly recommend this fork despite the high price. You are certainly getting what you are paying for with this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Anything rolling under my wheels

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox Terralogic 120

Bike Setup:   Blur LT2

Submitted by Hank Wanker a Cross Country Rider from Moab

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Bad seals, bad bushings

Bottom Line:
Complete piece of junk. Lasted just long enough for the warranty to expire. I was injured and did not use this fork for much of the warranty period. A seal quickly degraded and left a black, sticky substance on the uppers. Shortly after replacing the seal the bushings have gone. The fork sounds like it is going to blow up and and there is a lot of play in it. My choices? Not good. Send it to Fox and pay these clowns way to much money to fix it. Or, throw it away. I paid a small fortune for this thing and now it is junk. Stay away from Fox. The Kashima coating is pure marketing propaganda.

Favorite Trail:   Moonlight Meadow

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   Other Fox 32's

Bike Setup:   Blur LTC with Fox 32 Talas with "Kashima" coating

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, CT

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent spring rate. Finaly an air fork that feels like a coil fork. Very plush and smooth. Great rigidity with the QR15 axle.

Weaknesses:    None.. Although a weight weenie might say weight. It is one of the heavier 32mm Fox forks due to the TALAS.

Bottom Line:
After the very first ride I was pleased with the fork. I have adjusted air pressure to 25% sag and this fork still has awesome small bump comliance, very different from previous Fox forks I've owned.
Very smooth fork travel, can't say I've noticed any stiction. Doesn't seem to need a break in period.
TALAS 2 position setting works great, very easy to use but only when NOT on technical terrain.
I got a good deal on this 2011 just as the 2012's were being released.

Similar Products Used:   2011 Fox Float 140 RL , 2007 Fox Float R and others

Submitted by firechkn a Weekend Warrior from east bay, ca

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    controls easy to use, smooth travel thruout full range, no noticable stiction, excellent front wheel tracking with 15qr, decals seem thick enough to shield the lowers from minor scrapes and scuffs

Weaknesses:    air spring pressure cap kinda hard to take off, but they did say it could be hard to unscrew in the video tutorial

Bottom Line:
It's a great fork so far! It was pretty easy to set up, it just took a few initial adjustments, and a few trail-side, and now good to go.

I was already expecting smooth travel, but the new coating on the stanchions makes a small, but noticeable difference. I was able to use up a fair amount of travel; it felt well controlled, but not harsh at all.

I like the single air spring setup compared to my reba - easier for me to adjust and find my ideal pressure. The compression and rebound controls are easy to set up. I started with the factory settings from the manual, and adjusted twice to find what worked for me; I shouldn't have to touch it much.

The 15qr axle is easy to set up as well. It adds noticeable front wheel tracking, even steering after landings, and turning hard into corners. I can't really complain about the stiffnes of Fox's reg dropout lowers, but I like the new setup alot!

This is my first Talas fork. I thought I would use it the lower travel and raise it when needed, but after a few rides, I now leave it at the longer travel most of the time.

Overall, I give this fork 5 chilis; once set up just right, the fork seems to do what it's supposed to do very well. As far as value goes, I got it for a great price. But normally Fox forks are kind of pricey, so I give 4 in the value rating.

The fork is worth the $$$ if you want a great product that is fairly easy to set up, and rides plush yet controlled. It does take some patience to find just the right setting, but will lead to fun rides and big smiles!

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   rs reba wc, fox f80 rlc, rs sid, rs judy sl

Bike Setup:   santa cruz blur xc, xtr/sram/raceface/king

Submitted by mountainbikeloco a Weekend Warrior from Eastbay,Ca

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Buttery smooth active response.

Weaknesses:    none thta I can find

Bottom Line:
I love this fork! I liked my float rlc, just wanted something new this season and wow; I just can't get over how amazing this fork is. It has no stichon thanks to the Kashima coating, and the new spring rates make for a plush responsive ride.

Similar Products Used:   Fox float rlc

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz BLT with a Talas RLC and an RP23, X0 drive train,KS-950 and Elixr CR, spinning blood red i9s

Submitted by neninja a Cross Country Rider from Darlington, County Durham, UK

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    Improved travel adjustment, copes with small bumps and bigger hits equally well, look great, Kashima really does make a difference

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This fork replaced a 2009 32 Talas RLC. I really rated the 09 Talas but this fork blows it away.
I was unsure about only having 2 fork length settings (110/140) compared to the 3 on the 09 (100/120/140) but the adjuster is so much easier to operate it means you actually use it more often.
The small bump absorbtion of the 2011 is incredible - I guess this is a combination of new valving and reduced stiction from the Kashima coating. The fork feels so much more plush than the 09 fork for the same amount of sag.
I really can't fault the '11 Talas Fit RLC apart from the price.
The new price in the UK is £819 (over $1200) in tax which is frankly ridiculous considering the exchange rate has been stable for the past year.

Similar Products Used:   '09 Fox 32 Talas RLC, '09 Fox 32 Float 140, '10 Fox 32 F100 RL

Bike Setup:   Nicolai Helius CC, Fox RP23, XT/XTR, Formula RX, Hope Pro2/Stans ZTR Arch wheels

Submitted by muddywings a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth travel, stiffer axle than the old 9mm QR, adjust on the fly

Weaknesses:    Price, someone needs to come out with a lockable forkup

Bottom Line:
Luckily I switched jobs and when I got my vacation payout, I splurged!! I wanted to get away from the 9mm QR as I'm much more all mountain riding now than when I started. I have chris king hubs and didn't want to have to buy a new hub. The conversion worked perfect. Likewise I have a Pushed RP3 and have been very impressed by Push's upgrades and customer service so I was looking for a fox product. Everything went together very easy with the conversion hub, the brakes and the fork.
As for the fork: wow, forks have come a long way. I have ridden it on a few of my standard routes and when I normally do harder hit and grunt I have been smiling! Very smooth travel and absorbs every have thrown at it. I went up a gravel road and lowered the travel down-very easy/simple. I then went down some pretty rough sections and had forgotten to raise it back to 140mm but it was still smother than my older fork.
Very happy!

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Upgraded from a 2005 Manitou Minute, and an older 2005ish fox float on other bike

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, pushed fox rp3 rear, chris king hubs, hayes 9x brakes

Submitted by DianeWong a Cross Country Rider from Poway CA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Outstanding small bump compliance. Handles big hits with ease. Physically beautiful wtih black lowers and gold stanchions.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm so pleaseantly suprised because I never thought forks had come so far - it rides comfortably, sucks up big hits, and the fork in general is much more user friendly than the older version. I'm really enjoying the 2 position travel adjust in comparison to the 16 clicks of my "04. The 15QR axle is a marked improvement over the old style quick release both in function and convenience. The Kashima stanchion coating truly does reduce "stiction". I'm a 200 lb. guy that rides fairly hard and has on occasion seen some air time. I hope to give this fork a good workout - progress reports to follow. I gave it an overall rating of 5 flamers for the performance but 4 flamers for value because it's bloody expensive. Oh well, you get what you pay for..
Ride on.