RockShox Tora Trail 302 U-Turn 2010 Forks

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

• Travel: 85-130mm
  • Adjustments: External Rebound, Lockout
  • Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 Hollow Aluminum
  • Steerer: Steel 1 1/8", Aluminum 1 1/8"
  • Upper Tubes: 32mm, Steel, Chrome

Submitted by I'm not very clever a Weekend Warrior from Corona Ca

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, stable, consistant

Weaknesses:    None so far, out of the box the lock out wasn't working right but after breaking it in it functions flawlessly

Bottom Line:
I ride a lot of single track and love to getting air, so far this shock takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. Some others complain about a sucking noise when it compresses, this is true with mine but you don't notice italso I feel like I pretty much stole this shock retail is $300+ don't know if I would pay that much for it, but if you can get it for cheap... do it especially if you have a fork with smaller sanctions and less travel.

Favorite Trail:   block @ skyline

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my third fork, first one was stock on a 05 hardrock but that got stolen before I could form an opinion. Second was a rock shod Judy, that was a fork not made for my riding...

Bike Setup:   02 stumpy fsr set up more for all mountain, you know handle bars ans such. Fox float in the rear @120psi.

Submitted by Emil a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Feels rock solid. Soaks up even the smallest bumps. U-turn is really useable.

Weaknesses:    The U-turn function is good, but sometimes the spring makes a clicking noise when the fork is compressing. This is solved by turning the U-turn knob slightly. Kind of annoying at times, but it's just the way the fork works.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a replacement for my trusty old J3 fork. IMO the J3 was ok, it had TK damping and adjustable rebuond. The idea of buying a Tora 302 was that I would spend significantly less money than for the Tora 318, but I would still be able to upgrade to the motion control damper at a later stage, and thus getting a "318". However I think this is a really good fork as is, so I won't be upgrading to motion control any time soon. It completely blows the J3 away. My bike feels totally different now, it's a huge improvement!

Favorite Trail:   Nick-spåret

Purchased At:   TCM

Similar Products Used:   2006 Rock shox J3

Bike Setup:   Cube Acid Disc, -06

Submitted by Meek Meek Meek a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing fork. the travel is smooth, rebound works great, lockout is good. I am light so I use the full 130mm travel, and the u-turn adjusts in about 7mm per click.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses at all, except if you are a weight weenie then it might be a little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
Get this fork if on a budget. Order from Jenson if you can as they have really good shipping and price match! I ordered on a Friday, and received everything on Monday! And I live around Toronto Canada!!!

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Outlaw 4.3 frame, Avid BB7 185 f and r, Rock Shox Tora 302 U-Turn, Manitou Metel R.

Submitted by Oldradioguy2 a Cross Country Rider from Severna Park, Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, nice action.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, U-turn not smooth sometimes

Bottom Line:
This is a nice upgrade from the Dart 2 or Spinner Edge forks that come on many $500-$800 price point bikes. I started with a 2009 Marlin, but someone rear-ended my van with my Marlin on the back so the Martin the Gecko (his insurance) bought me a new 2009 Big Sur frame. But I was stuck with the newbie Dart 2 fork that came with the Marlin. When it was time to upgrade, I bought two Tora U-Turns: one for me, and one for my son who has a watered-down Diamondback Response SE from Dick's. The Spinner Edge fork that Dick's slapped on it was so cheap it was dangerous.

Anyway, we both like our Tora's so far. They were used but super clean from eBay sellers, and they work great, without leaks or squeaks. I like to set mine up to 130mm when I'm riding on the road so I'm not hunched over like a jockey, but on the trail, it's great to be able to drop it down. These are beefy and rigid, but they're smooth, especially at 130mm. I can see why people who trade up from the Tora U-Turns opt for 120-160mm fixed forks, though. The longer travel is a definite advantage over rocks and tree limbs.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Valley State Park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox, Suntour

Bike Setup:   2009 Fisher Big Sur Frame, BB7 brakes, custom stem, seat post, seat, Odyssey Triple trap pedals, etc.

Submitted by axekid423 a Cross Country Rider from elkridge, MD

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    feels great, looks great, adjustable travel is a big +

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i really like this fork for the price. i weigh 120 lbs so you might need a thicker coil depending on your weight

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Valley State Park

Purchased At:   Princeton Sports

Bike Setup:   2010 cannondale f5

Submitted by nickav21 a Cross Country Rider from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    Worked fantastic for a while, the U-turn function is the greatest thing since slided bread.

Weaknesses:    Feels almost locked up now, forget any bump absorption in the cold.

Bottom Line:
When I first got the fork it was incredible! It soaked up everything from acorns to huge hits. Got the full travel and everything. Now, it only compresses from huge hits and feels as it's locked out permanently almost. I keep this fork in great shape, cleaning the stanchions after every ride and keeping them lubed up. Iv'e heard of many other very happy users though, so I may have just gotten a bad fork or something. On a brighter note though, the U-turn function still works and has always been amazing. Locked out on climbs, the fork is rock solid, but if you hit a big bump it will still compress a bit so you're not jarred to death. At the price, I'd say it's pretty awesome, but if you're looking for a really nice fork save up some money and get yourself a Fox or equivalent.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek