RockShox Reba SL Dual Air 2010 Forks

• Steerer: Aluminum, 1 1/8" Or 1.5 To 1 1/8" Tapered
  • Maximum Rotor Size: 210mm

Submitted by tyrebyter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light, parts availability, axle options, deep knowledge base in the MTB community.

Weaknesses:    Compression damping, stiction

Bottom Line:
The subject fork is a dual-air, 120mm w/straight 1-1/8" steerer. Have both 9mm QR and 20mm lowers. The fork is very light and easy to service. No special tools required and it responds well to any decent suspension oil. Rebound damping is adequate and easy to adjust, though hard to duplicate settings for lack of stops/clicks. The dual-air has a bit of a learning curve, after which it is useful. Where this fork fails is in compression damping. It is on or off and in any position, it's not that good. Rocky, broken terrain is torturous at speed. It does not seem to be speed sensitive as HS damping is harsh when LS is OK, or HS damping is OK when LS damping is non-existent. Others seem to love this fork; matter of taste, different riding style, different terrain? I've tried a few Rebas on other bikes and I just don't get it. Not really in the same league with Fox or even Manitou.

Favorite Trail:   White Mesa

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Maintou, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark 35

Submitted by jersievers

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    value and weight

Weaknesses:    remote could be less expensive

Bottom Line:
These just work, been around for a while now and this still is one of the best 29 forks. Fox tend to blow out for people round here, these just keep on pumpin. Track nice and handle everything I need. Weight is very respectable, more expensive forks only have more features, don't really weigh less.

Submitted by stumpy2

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, responsive, tough

Weaknesses:    pop lock system with remote not as good as direct lock

Bottom Line:
This is the second of these forks I have had (on different bikes). They are reliable and do exactly what they're supposed to do, and last. Mine has survived continuous mud and wet conditions with only one service so far. Good value for money too if you can find one with a decent discount.
Go for the direct lock out not the remote lock-out as that tends to be problematic.
I would buy this again, and again.

Submitted by Blue Sugar a Cross Country Rider from Sandy Hook, CT, Estados Unidos

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, light, holds air, small bump absorbtion

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment, large bump absorbtion.

Bottom Line:
This fork came on my Stumpjumper Comp 29er. It works well for a reasonably priced air fork and is a good choice for a hardtail. It works well on small to medium bumps, but is prone to bottoming on larger bumps. It's not a big hit fork though. I don't notice much flex or wandering in the front end (I use a 9mm thru axle). It's been totally reliable so far, and I ride a lot. I'd recommend spending some time dialing in the + and - air pressures and rebound damping to optimize the performance of the fork.

My only gripes are that the rebound damping is a real pain in the @$$ to adjust. The dial is recessed into the bottom of the fork leg and it's hard to get your fingers in there, and using tools is not an option. I'd expect more from Rock Shox. It also makes a squeaking sound over bumps.

Overall it's a good fork for the price and for its intended purpose.

Favorite Trail:   Rock and Roll at Huntington

Purchased At:   Berlin Bike

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er.

Submitted by bubblesgb a Cross Country Rider from Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    -Smoother than a fox
-Light
-Sleek
-VERY easy tuning
-Lockout actually works
-Small bump compliance
-Rebound smoothness

Weaknesses:    -Rebound adjuster fell out after 10 or so rides. no big deal as it can be adjusted with a 2.5mm hex wrench.

Bottom Line:
What a great performing fork!!!!! works very smoothly and takes small bumps like they arent there and big bumps very good. the +- air chambers make it easy to have small bump compliance and not bottom out on big hits. running the air how it is (88- 72+) it uses only half of the travel when i press down on the fork. when you hit a big jump/bump, the full travel is used.
I have a custom 2011 Giant Anthem X and it has a Fox F32 100RL on it and that fork is no where near as smooth as the reba!
Overall the best fork ive ever used.

Favorite Trail:   bur oak

Purchased At:   Gord's Ski and Bike

Similar Products Used:   -Rock Shox Dart 3
-Fox F32 100RL
-Rock Shox Tora TK/RL

Bike Setup:   2010 Scott Scale 35 Large
-Rock Shox Reba SL Dual - Air 88 psi in -, 68 psi in + (114 lb rider)
Shimano XT crankset and fd
SRAM X0 9 spd green shifers and derailleur
Avid Elixir 5 braked (160 all around)
Easton XC One wheelset
Crankbrothers Candy SL green
Ritchey Pro Carbon h-bar
Sram PG-990 cassette green
Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 2.1 42psi

Submitted by Veda a Racer from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Light, relatively cheap.

Weaknesses:    Ain't a Fox.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bikes I bought new. The most expensive forks before jumping straight to a Fox. If you want to spend more then save up and get a Fox F series. Does the job well for the occasional big holes or bumps but not when descending a rocky path. That's what a Fox is for.

Similar Products Used:   RST, Suntour, Fox

Bike Setup:   Spark 30 + Titus X

Submitted by saeta119 a Weekend Warrior from Bratislava, Slovakia

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great product, absorbs bumps quite nicely

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
What a great suspension, coming from the Tora, which I already liked so much, this was a plush very soft and responsive.
Pop Lock is a great feature and definitely much more lighter than my previous Tora.

Purchased At:   Velo Sprint

Similar Products Used:   Suntour XCM , RockShox Tora 302

Bike Setup:   Ghost HTX 5700 2010

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    takes little bumps great. looks nice. lots of opinions. light. traded my fox f-series 2009 for reba sl 2010. they r just as comfortable, and a lot more opinions. love the positive and negative valves.

Bottom Line:
couldnt say enough of good things about them. go for reba

Similar Products Used:   fox f-series

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    bump compliance, adjustability, stiffness

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These came on my Sette Razzo 29er and are set to 80mm of travel for the 29er...I may bump them up to 100mm, we'll see how it goes. They do everything I need a fork to do. You can adjust them to your riding style - I like a soft-ish fork with high negative air and low rebound damping for good small bump performance on the 29er.

These track well and take large and small hits well. I haven't been as impressed with lower end Rock Shox forks small bump compliance (Tora air) but the mid to upper end is great (Recon, Reba, SID).

I have a Fox RL on my full suspension XC bike and I also like it for both small and big bump performance...this fork feels very similar. The Reba soaks up bumps without you even knowing it's there and that, to me, is what a suspension fork should do.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID, Tora, Recon, Fox F series

Bike Setup:   Sette Razzo 29er

Submitted by mopartodd a Cross Country Rider from Garner, NC

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustability, price, stiffness.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I was a little skeptical getting this after riding a FOX fork for the last eight years, but I have to say that this Reba is impressive, especially for money. I have been able to dial it in just like I want it and I suspect with a bit more adjustment it will feel better than any of the Fox forks I've used. It feels just as stiff and looks better, no nasty white.

If you're in the market, save the coin and get a Reba.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in front of me

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   FOX: F80 RLT different years, 2008 F100 RLC, Marzocchi(SP)

Bike Setup:   2010 RS Reba SL, TiSport Gman titanium frame, XTR comps.,velocity wheels/hope hubs, formula brakes, Thomson stem and post,Bontrager carbon bar, CK headset

Submitted by Rzar a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Az, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustable. Light. Soaks up little bumps easily. Compression control by a knob on top of the fork.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Maybe the stickers. I am not a big fan of stickers on forks.

Bottom Line:
It handles the little bumps very well. There is a little rubber ring around the extancion to tell you how much compression you have done. After a ride the ring is at the very top of the fork. (Meaning I bottumed out). However I have never really felt the fork bottom out. The compression knob is nice and it can be fully locked.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island