RockShox Lyrik Standard 2-Step 2010 Forks

• Upper Tubes 35mm, 7000 Series Straight Wall Aluminum
  • Lowers Magnesium, Maxle Lite 20mm Axle

Submitted by aroberts a Racer from Denver, Aspen Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Out of the box, for the first 55 miles, the fork performed like a dream. Very plush, stiff and easy to use. The 2 step is amazing and the fork is perfect for the climb up, bomb down riding that compromises 90% of the trails in our areas.

Weaknesses:    After 55 miles of mostly cross country with a bit of free ride / all mountain action, the fork began to show its weaknesses. I have since replaced the 2 Step cartridge twice (under warranty). The other issue I am facing is that the first 20mm of travel seems "blank" giving the for a feeling that it is loose. I have had the shop rebuild the fork twice, each time it seems to last about 75 mikes then...it's back to the shop for an oil change and a rebuild. I have since sent the fork back to Sram, thinking that it may just be a one off bad "glitch" fork. I will follow up and let everyone know what they end up doing with the fork.

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork after riding a Lyrik that was 2 years old and it too was riddled with issues. I love the way the fork performs new ( insanely plush!)and thought that if I bought a new one that Sram would have worked out the kinks by now...apparently there are still issues. Keep in mind, I am a big rider (riding weight with gear 220lbs)so equipment seems to take mopre punishment however, I also service my equipment on a regular basis. Bottom line, my expectations have not been met, especially after dropping $1000.00 on a fork. I'm curious to see what Rock Shox does with the fork, now that I have sent it back. Keep in mind, I have invested alot of $$$ to keep the Lyrik tuned up.

I would say that the fork feels better than my Fox36 when it is working, however that is a rare occurrence.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Bike Shop..

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36...on my Rocky Mountain Slayer...very comparable, though I have never had any issues with the Fox, it has roughly 500 miles and is due for an oil change and rebuild. The fox is also 3 years old, the Rock Shox is only 1 year old.

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9, Industry 9 wheels and rims, Thompson seat post / stem, Saint shifters / derailleurs, XT cranks, Schwalbe Big Betty Tires.