RockShox Dart 3 2010 Forks

3.27/5 (22 Reviews)

• Travel: 100mm (3.95 inches)
  • Adjustability: external rebound, lockout
  • Spring type: Coil
  • 1-1/8" threadless steel steerer
  • 1-piece magnesium lower legs

Submitted by CalmerThanYouAre a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2014

Strengths:    Price, Performance, Reliability, get the job done just fine.

Weaknesses:    Not as smooth as more expensive forks.

Bottom Line:
I have put about 4000 miles on my Dart 3 forks, combination of rough trail and smooth path summer heat and winter cold.
I have just followed basic maintenance on mine and they still work very well. Basic maintenance is easy and not expensive. Take care of the seals, keep them clean, keep the proper oil levels with the recommended weight oil and they work the way they're supposed to after thousands miles. (In my experience)
For the price, they really get the job done. Mine have saved my arse a few times on some drops that were bigger than I anticipated.
Maybe not as smooth as forks that cost twice the $$, but they do what you need them to do at a relatively affordable price, and if you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Duration Product Used:   4K+ since 2011

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F5 - Basically stock with some upgrades along the way.

Submitted by RJ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2014

Strengths:    Held up to my riding. 3 times a week, Hard fast pace. Replaced seals after 2 seasons of MTBing

Weaknesses:    Heavy shock, but it averages out with the low price

Bottom Line:
These shocks were an upgrade from my judy shocks. Rebuilt the bike and the Dart 3's have not let me down. If I had 300 to spend I would have bought different Rockshoxs but for around 165 bucks these were great. We have a ten foot drop and lots of midsize bumps that we navigate through and these shocks keep on going. Worth the money!

Submitted by JSBikesXC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    Long-lasting. Low-maintenance. Strong. Lockout works flawlessly (no joke).

Weaknesses:    Flex, but whatever, just ride smarter. A little heavy, but whatever, just ride harder.

Bottom Line:
I have had these shocks for over 5 years now. I have put in over 4000 miles of mountain biking and 3000 miles of road biking with this baby. I have overhauled them twice. The bushings are now too worn, and after some winter riding in the snow, they accumulated too much dirt and snow, and locked up. I initially thought they were frozen stiff, because it was sub 20 degrees, but nope...they're sauced. 5 years of hard riding, took me everywhere from Palos, IL, to Orange County, CA, to Vail, CO to St. George, UT, and only recently gave out in my current location near the Wasatch. I am extremely pleased with their performance, and will definitely be buying another set, if I can't find any air shocks near the $150-250 price range.

Favorite Trail:   No.

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   George Garner Cycler

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 (warrantied frame). Bontrager Rhythm wheels. Dart 3 Rock Shox (formerly). X-9 shifters. X-9 rear derailleur. X-5 front derailleur. Deore XT 9-speed cassette. SLX Chain. SLX Triple Chainring Hollowtech II cranks/outboard bearing bottom bracket. Front brakes(Juicy 5). Rear brakes(Avid BB5 Mechanical). XTR pedals. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front tire. Specialized Purgatory UST 2.2 rear tire.

Submitted by Matthew a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    has a lockout which is nice. pretty good on light cross country trails and alright on the road.

Weaknesses:    i have had these forks for 2 summers now. they came on my kona cinder cone. it was my first mountain bike. i started on light cross country trails but then started doing some downhill trails on the shore. after the first summer the lockout stopped working. after riding a few other downhill trails which this fork and my bike were never meant for the forks lost all plush feeling. they are as hard as a rock! there is dampening fluid dripping out after every ride. the forks cost more to be fixed than they are worth!

Bottom Line:
lockout breaks

not a very plush ride

dampening fluid dripping all over the fork

cant take big hits and stiffens up

overall fine for cross country or a starter mountain bike but not for an advanced rider.

Favorite Trail:   CBC,Pangor,Neds

Duration Product Used:   just over a year

Bike Setup:   2008 kona cinder cone stock except one of the pedals snapped off so now i have bmx pedals on there

Submitted by Alex a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    works well, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    Heavy, cheap equipment

Bottom Line:
I ran the dart 3 on my GT RTS1 and it worked great, i had a pretty hard crash one day and the lockout threads were stripped. After looking at it and realizing they were plastic threads i was surprised that didnt happen earlier with the way i ride. I just upgraded to the Rock Shox Reba RL, and now that i have the air shock i understand how crappy the Dart 3 was. If your looking for low price coil shock go for the dart 3, just don't expect it to be able to take a beating.

Similar Products Used:   rock shox reba RL

Bike Setup:   GT RTS1, shimano SLX gear

Submitted by Henrik B

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    It is cheap and it does the job. Simple to adjust.

Weaknesses:    At this price - none.

Bottom Line:
What can i say - its a decent fork. I use it for xc in the Feroes islands which is pretty rough terrain. Sure the lockout aint fancy, but who needs it? It is a lot better then the old Judy i hat before.

Submitted by Chuah Jun Ler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Good for show. Good for rental bikes

Weaknesses:    WEAK, Fragile and heavy. Not plushy and smooth.

Bottom Line:
I had this fork that came with my bike and there is remote lockout!! WOW. I rode it in the trail once and it broke the lockout damper. Brought it to service and used it again. This time the fork wasnt plush and smooth even with soft coils. After serviceing, i went for a ride with it. went down a kerb and the damper shot right up breaking the lockout and the lockout cap. the repair cost me a new dart.
P.S mine is 2011. works the same eh?

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.

Purchased At:   Merida Thailand

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Tora SL, Manitou Minute 1:00, Fox Talas, Sr Suntour XCR and XCT and XCM, Fox 40,

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts TFS 500-D(DOPE), Deore Groupset with XT rd, Hayes Stroker ryde brakes(sucks), Spank subrosa rims with Hope pro 2 hubs. many FSA parts

Submitted by noschitt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Coil Sprung makes this fork practically maintenance free. After two years of hard riding and easily over 300 miles I have had to rebuild the fork once for about $100 which isn't bad compared to buying another fork.

Weaknesses:    I haven't experienced the problems that some have had with the braking for I don't use or need a front brake. But there is some slight bit of travel when the fork is locked out like others have mentioned. Though someone should not have trouble climbing because of this small flaw unless you're a puss.

Bottom Line:
The fork is thin and definitely not as strong as some others that I have tried. But I have put tons of miles on this fork and taken it on many different trails only to be pleased with the way it has performed. It isn't all that heavy but definitely not a racers choice; it has more than enough travel for the typical XC track and even more than that. 4' concrete drops, downhill mountain trails, or even 10' jumps everything will be alright.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Davis State Park

Purchased At:   Dirt Road Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Tora 318, Rock Shox Tora SL, Rock Shox Dart 2, several crappy Suntour forks, and Fox Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Custom GT Saddleback, Rock Shox Dart 3, Chris King headset, Thomson Stem, custom made grips, Sram X-0 trigger shifters, Fizik Gobi XM, Shimano hollowtech crank 2x7, Shimano XTR front and rear derailleur, Avid Ultimate V-brake, FMF powermoto pedals, Mavic XM317 rims, Panaracer tires, stock bars and seatpost.

Submitted by gtsonoma a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore MD

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, adjustable.

Bottom Line:
This fork will lock up after sitting in storage and in cooler temperatures. If it is below 50 degrees outside I may as well have a rigid fork. Ive heard changing the fork oil will remedy this but a brand new fork shouldnt need servicing right out of the box. Works great when warm to hot outside.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Richmond

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    They let you ride your bike

Weaknesses:    The lock out is poor, I couldn't tell the lock was on, it felt flimsy and weak.

Bottom Line:
These shocks came oe on my gt, I am on the heavy side and with my 26" I learned that I need a good shock. I didn't do any trail riding with the dart but just from tooling around the yard I was glad that I got the Reba's to replace them. On the 29er I think that it is more important to have a stiffer meatier shock due to the larger tire.

Submitted by ZXFT a Cross Country Rider from Mckinney TX

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Very cheap fork

Weaknesses:    travel isnt smooth or plush. Nearly impossible to go back to after riding a Reba RLT Ti

Bottom Line:
This came OEM on my '10 GF Mamba.A cheap fork that will allow you to ride your bike. I recommend to buy an air fork if you can afford it though.

Favorite Trail:   roots and flat

Similar Products Used:   SID XX
Fox Talas 130/150
Reba RLT Ti 29er

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with 100mm of travel upfront, SLX with XT derailers. Its my race machine.

Submitted by bikingchad a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro,NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Not as heavy as a Dart 1/2! Damping adjuster works great. Lockout works good and is easily reached on-the-fly.

Weaknesses:    I'm a clydes and yes it does flex. The steel rigid I replaced flexed more, so I'm not too worried. Don't recommend more than 2.25" tire unless it's a sturdy wheel.

Bottom Line:
My primary trail for this bike (Bald Eagle) is an 8 mile rootfest. I rode 29er all-steel for a season but just switched to this econo 29er fork. I'm 230lbs on the seat and it does flex but I don't have to brake much so it's not a problem. Since I found the sweet spot on preload and rebound I am much faster and better control.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Turkey

Similar Products Used:   Lots of suspension and rigids.

Bike Setup:   29er custom steel single-speed.

Submitted by Trekrider1234567890 a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Despite many many negative reviews, I have really loved my set of these trucks! I have thoroughly thrashed them in super rocky trails, and huge drops. Preload & lockout works very well. This is a very reliable fork. Has taken a beating and is still going strong!

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but so far non other than that.

Bottom Line:
Great reliable trucks for the money paid!!!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I find