RockShox Dart 1 2010 Forks

• Travel: 80/100mm
  • Spring: Coil
  • Adjustments: Preload
  • Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum
  • Steerer: Stkm Steel 1 1/8", Aluminum 1 1/8"

Submitted by Ian

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2014

Strengths:    their isn't any strength's

Weaknesses:    Never worked and was heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
HORRIBLE

Submitted by dustin nibert a Downhiller from hanover mass

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    for the money is a good fork handels tight corners. im really roght on stuff i have buttom out this fork a lot and it takes all i can give it and more. i love the rebound i go down and up alot of logs i go right from alot of jumps to right down hills and tight coners denpendig on the what lies ahead. over all for me this fork has done more thin it is made for. if you are out looking for a good time and what a fork that dosen mind takeing hevy rideing thin i would recenmend this to someone.

Weaknesses:    rockshox did not put any oil or teflon on the slinders when i got my forks i had to pull the froks a part and soke them in teflon for 2 days which sucks becuse if you are a relly hard rider and are going to put this fork to the test and see what they really can do then right out of the box it is not at all ready. which if you like me are a take it out of the box slap it on the bike and go rideing dont think so go down to your bike shop and by some teflon and shox oil and soake them

Bottom Line:
nice forks nothing but a fun time with them love them on my bike. i have a good rideing buddy ane im going to by thes for him he keeps try to take my.

Favorite Trail:   lundoms ford hanover mass

Purchased At:   amzon.com

Similar Products Used:   i had a sr suntour fork did one jump a and split the uper cown in two. did the same jump with the dart one and the forks did not even mind it 100 times better the sr suntour.

Bike Setup:   cannondale killer v 500 with two alex dh9 rims deore xt rd shimano hg50 chane dh pro headset or as know the pig. shimano rim brakes shimano clipless pedals ritchey gosse neck front tire bontrager xr2 back tire panaracer rampage shimano alivio rapid fire shifters bontrager grips

Submitted by stephenghowe a Weekend Warrior from Frederick, MD

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, tough.

Weaknesses:    No damping.

Bottom Line:
Don't get a 3 based on the 1. Darts have a reputation for stanchion flex. My Dart 1 has little. My Dart 3 has lots. I've torn both down; the Dart 1's stanchions, internally, seem to be slightly smaller calibre. So, stanchion walls appear to be thinner on the allegedly better model. Be sure to get a heavier spring if you're heavy, or you your head might impact a rock (like mine did). The dust seals dampen the fork a little, as in, fork compresses, rebounds quickly, and that's it. Oil in the lowers and on the dust seals helps with stiction (early specs included oil, later specs didn't). Not sure I'm sold on oil damping; any adjustment that's right for one place is going to be wrong for another. For example, going down a washboarded road, a slow rebound will quickly result in the fork bottoming out and staying there.

Favorite Trail:   Blue (Frederick Watershed)

Purchased At:   Forge

Similar Products Used:   Dart 3, Sid XC (28mm), Duke

Bike Setup:   Forge Sawback 5xx

Submitted by thevincentlee a Racer from Georgia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    indestructible, none, made out of harden steel, if you break this fork, you probably won't be alive.

Weaknesses:    everything, no damper equals pogo stick.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this fork unless you like pogo sticks on a trail. This fork has a spring without a damper, aka pogo stick.

Favorite Trail:   Tribble Mill

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox F100 RL 2009

Bike Setup:   Custom Carbon, had a fox, then cracked the steer tube, had to use the dart 1 for backup and found out how crappy it was.

Submitted by BrianC18t a Weekend Warrior from Middletown, DE

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    For a low end shock it has proven to be strong and it has exceeded my expectations coming from a ridge fork. Has taken anything I have thrown at, really gives one more confidence going downhill at speed on rough terrain it and really makes riding much more enjoyable. Unless you a really hard core - I don't see the problem with it. I ride faster and harder than many that have much more expensive bikes/setups.

Weaknesses:    I have nothing to compare it to, but on crushed gravel trails it doesn't take much of the impacts out as I have it set so it can absorb the bigger stuff. I suppose a higher end shock might be able to do both. I also suppose a higher end shock might compress more linearly and feel smoother in engagement.

No lockout - but I could care less as I use my bike off road 99% of the time anyway.

Bottom Line:
Coming from an 18 year old DB Accent with a ridged front fork, this is a huge difference. My arms used to get really irritated from the rough stuff and jumps were painful/could cause one to get really off balance, could only be taken at relatively low speeds and carefully. This is a huge improvement over no shock at all and for me works really well. I don’t know what I am missing with a more expensive fork but I have the preload tuned in such a way it takes 2 foot +/- landings with no real drama while also taking a lot of the imperfections out of the trail. It makes riding so much more enjoyable, more stable/faster on the down hills and seems to be holding up very well.

As they can be had for a little more than $100 new (and I am sure there are a lot of 2nd hand ones floating around out there as many upgrade) I feel it is a very good value as long as your know its limitations.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Purchased At:   Target

Similar Products Used:   Nothing - just a ridged fork

Bike Setup:   Forge Sawback 5XX

Submitted by XC-Ginger a Cross Country Rider from Rush NewYork !USA!

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, Good beginner fork before you know what you really need. Ideal for urban riding (i.e. smooth with and occasional curb..)

Weaknesses:    Heavy, twitchy, may as well have a ridged for most of the time.

Bottom Line:
It’s pretty much the generic fork for mid to low range hardtails. Its build pretty robust and will take years of beatings, and will soften the blow of some pretty hard drops, but cannot coup with the small rough stuff. If you have an older fork say a Jett or Judy I would not call this an upgrade at least from a XC point of view.

Favorite Trail:   Ellicottville, Letchworth state park, or dryer road park