Fox Racing Shox 36 Van RC2 2010 Forks

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

The 36 VAN with its 160mm of coil sprung travel, separately adjustable high and low speed compression damping circuits and widely adjustable rebound is prepared for whatever your course throws in its way. Our FIT RC2 position-sensitive damper along with reduced friction throughout the entire fork maximizes bump sensitivity and front-end confidence. VAN's 20QR tool-free axle system with stepped thru axle combined with huge 36mm stanchions provide for incredible stiffness and precise traction. Get huge air or find a new line, the 36 VAN takes whatever you give it and looks for more.

Submitted by Gunnar-man a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Plush and strong

Weaknesses:    Creaking steerer tube/crown

Bottom Line:
This fork is awesome. Plush, adjustable, easy to service.

The only downside I had with it was that the steerer tube and crown developed a creak two months into riding. From what I had learned afterwards was that the creaking was a common issue, unfortunately.

Fox in Canada was great at turnaround though. I had it sent in, repaired and returned within 5 business days. i was quite impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Frisby Ridge

Similar Products Used:   All of them

Bike Setup:   08 Banshee Rune

Submitted by barkley a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    plush,stiff,bomb proof

Weaknesses:    bottom out easily ,hard to tune if its not your right spring.

Bottom Line:
my weight is about 195lbs with gears and always bottom it out even just in a 3ft. drop. I wish the new mtb with fox forks come with extra firmer springs just like buying the fork alone i heard that it comes with xtra springs. now i am ordering the green spring, that's for a 175lb-210lb rider and i hope it can handle my weight.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Similar Products Used:   never tried other forks

Bike Setup:   SX TRAIL II 2010

Submitted by willer a Weekend Warrior from denmark

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, very Stiff, Comes with three different springs, good small bump sensitivity, super quality finish.

Weaknesses:    Buttomt it out a couple of times and feels a bit linier but i havent tried to play with compresion adjusters yet.

Bottom Line:
Changed it from the 55 and got a whole new bike out of it. Makes the bike feel much more balanced out and has uncompared traction at high speed on rooty and rocky ground. Deffenately recomended

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   08 Marz 55ETA. Junk, Dont think about getting it

Bike Setup:   Commencal supreme miniDH. Manitou X6, Saint/XTR, Singletrack rims.

Submitted by Maveri20 a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    Review for the 2011 Van RC2 180mm: Permanently lubricated stanchions (feels like it), low weight, endless travel, bottomless feel (endo'd enough times and have never bottomed out), smooth suspension feel (thanks to the Kashima coating), and sexy looks

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
A spectacular fork. It seems as though Fox read through all the reviews for their previous models and updated this one accordingly. If you're willing to shell out the $960 + you will not be disappointed. I've been riding on this fork for a month and a half now (freeriding) and have not once bottomed out or had any complaint. The fork eats up everything you can throw at it and is extremely adjustable.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill

Purchased At:   JensonUsa.com

Similar Products Used:   Totem, Lyrik, 66

Bike Setup:   2008 SX Trail with a ton of upgrades

Submitted by Adi a Downhiller from Cairns Australia

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    stiff, big hit capability.

Weaknesses:    Poor small bump stensitivity, high maintenance cycles.

Bottom Line:
Fits right in the middle between "free ride" & DH, but not good enough for either. No plushness (or small bump sensitivity), not big enough for dh. Had to replace uppers once after 1 year due to bushing/stauntion wear. Feel good until compared to a Marzocchi, now, (with Marzocchi 55 Ti 2010) the bike is "balanced!"

Favorite Trail:   Kuranda, Smithfield

Purchased At:   Pump n pedals

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36 Talas RC2, Marzocchi 55 Ti, Fox van 32 RL,Fox van R,Bomber 55 Ti,44 Ti,888 RC2,888 RC3 Ti, Rockshox Judy 100, Manitou x vert. rockshox indy long travel

Bike Setup:   This fork-'06 S Works enduro, DHX 5, XT hollowtech,XT gear, mavic hand built wheels, Avid 7, + other bikes (dh & xc)!

Submitted by Hangtime a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, right out of the box.sets up easy. Comes with three springs. No plastic parts. Quality.

Weaknesses:    None noticed yet

Bottom Line:
This fork replaced a Pike 454 coil. The 36 is way stiffer and actually plusher. It's not even broken in yet. Workmanship on the Fox products is second to none. I became hooked on the 36 after testing an 09 Float on a Yeti 575. The float is great, I prefer the coil feel over air. Van RC2/FIT suites me and this bike. It's the best buy so far. Very expensive but as others have said you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Jasper National Park

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   RC Pike 454 coil. Zoke AM/SL 130.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-Spot

Fox 36 Van RC2 spring isn't colour coded

Not a big issue but has anyone run across a Fox 36 Van spring that was NOT colour coded?? I know I have a blue one (stock) which is too soft and I have a more firm one that doesn't have colour. I feels like it could be the green spring, probably not the yellow. Just wondering.Read More »

Currently have a 05 or 06 Fox 36 Van RC2 (160mm). Compatible with 2010 lowers???

Based on what I've read in the manuals, the Fox Van RC2 is the same across a few years. My lowers on my 2005 or 2006 fork (not sure which one I have) is ragged. If I were to get 2010 Van 36 RC2 lowers, would that be compatible?? I want to make sure there aren't any little strange differences. ... Read More »

Getting full travel with Van 36 RC2?

I have a 2012 Fox Van 36 which I love, currently running a blue spring. I rode yesterday, technical ride over logs and small jumps, and I'm wondering if I lost enough weight to impact the amount of travel I get in the front. I measured the travel on the o-ring after the ride and it was 110mm o ... Read More »

Converting my 36 van rc2 to R open bath...questions

So, I have a 2009 van 36rc2 fit. The fork has always been well taken care of and serviced. This is now the 3rd time my fit bladder has deformed or blown. It's getting old. I know the new 2011-2012 forks have an open bath damping option. If I can tweak the shimstack in the open bath damper, an ... Read More »