Fox Racing Shox 32 Vanilla 140 FIT RLC 2010 Forks

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• New Lockout force adjust knob location (RLC only)
  • New Ergonomic lockout lever (RLC only)
  • New Lighter 1.5" crown
  • Optional 1.5" tapered steerer
  • 15QR Thru axle system lower leg option

Submitted by Mtb2thebeat a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    Well made. No plastic bits. Lot's of adjustment. Comes w/ 3 different springs for coil preload. Light for a coil fork. I'm using the 9mm QR model, 4.15lbs.

Weaknesses:    I'm on the fence as far as springs go. I weight 148lbs. The purple spring is rated for 115-150, blue (came installed first) from 150-185. Depending on terrain, I may need to change springs between rides. (Not really difficult, 5 minutes). Wish there was a spring that laps the other springs, rather than stops at a given weight.

Bottom Line:
Obviously coming from a lack-luster first fork (RS Pilot), the Vanilla is scales above in performance. First ride out was with blue spring (150-185lbs). At 148lbs, I had little adjustment on the trail, because, weight wise, I'm at the bottom of the scale. I noticed pretty bad stiction on small bumps, and I was at the bottom setting on compression. I could not quite get the right sag setting from the get-go. I was able to use about 70% of travel on the fork on that ride. I swapped for the purple spring the next time out. Immediate difference. Small bump compliance was great. I was able go several clicks in on compression to find the sweet spot for small stuff. I had to release some of the rebound damping, due to the lighter spring, so that the fork would track well(Fox recommended this in their tuning tips.) I was able to get about 85-90% fork travel on this ride. Every thing feels really good now. Fork seems laterally stiff so far.

Overall, I'm very pleased so far. Others, having stiction issues might need to see if they are using the right spring for their weight, or make sure that they have the settings set up correctly (check the manual for proper adjustments). I haven't ridden a lot of different forks, so due to my lack of knowledge of other forks, I'm giving 4 chili's all around.

Favorite Trail:   Haven't found it yet.

Purchased At:   BikeBling

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Pilot xc Air

Bike Setup:   On-one 456(brown), Fox Vanilla FIT 140rlc, DT Swiss wheels, BB7's 160mm (F&R), 1x9 with Deore LX crank, Race Face Single ring, Sram x.7 Short cage & shifter, PG970 stuff, Hutchinson Toro's 2.15.

Submitted by Magnus-A a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    High quality feel in materials and feel well put together.
Has some of the coil feel I was after but my 2001 Marzocchi feels way better!

Weaknesses:    STICTION, and lots of of it! Travel is very notchy!
30+ hours of brake in time and still very sticky.
And after a few hours in the dirt it is even worse.
Some foxfluid under the seals helps, but not much and for about 30 minutes of riding only.

Bottom Line:
Disapointed is the overall feel unfortunately!
My frameset came with a 2010 Talas RLC and it had even more stiction!! So I thought I play it safe and get a coilsprung fork to get the ultimate in plushness and low stiction. Well that didn't happen!! 2010 FIT dampers seams to be a huge downer for Fox.
So now I am on a RS Team Revelation and it is great, especially for beeing an airfork! Much better match to my RP23.

Favorite Trail:   Any technical

Similar Products Used:   Several Marzzochi and a few RS.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 55 Carbon "Factory" frameset, mostly XTR with Formula R1 brakes and DT 240 hubs.

Submitted by BBW a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    15QR better than 9mm
Comes with 3 springs
Compresion, rebound and lockout

Weaknesses:    Disappointed with plushness (my 2003 Vanilla was plusher)
Small bump copliance not so good
Came with play in the bushings and seal blew in 2 month
This is my 6th or 7th Fox for and quality is clearly going dowwn
Also, rebound should be in the top of the for not in the lower of the leg since you tinker with that depending terrain and speed (unless you ride the same trail all the time). Who cares about the lock out threshold sensitivity so much to put it on top???

Bottom Line:
I didn't want to send this fork to Fox because I know it will take months until they return it and probably will come back the same. I went for a Vanilla in search for that plushness that I remembered I had back in the 2003 Vanilla and boy I'm dissapointed. I don't know if its the FIT or what but not as plush as a coil should be and I'm running the right spring for my weight and also get full travel on 3-4 foot drops.
Change oil, blead the bladder and changed to enduro seals; the fork started feeling way better than new but only for a couple of months, not it feels just OK.
Will either send it to Push (although not fare to buy a new fork and have to have down time and pay since its new) or sell it and get a Revelation RS

Favorite Trail:   too many

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, talas and vanilla from 2003 to 2010. Have been a Fox fan but thinking about other options

Bike Setup:   Turner DW 5 Spot

Submitted by jpdrums a Cross Country Rider from Tampa,FL, US

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    Predictable, Rigidity, Light for a coil

Weaknesses:    Not any really

Bottom Line:
Loved my last Vanilla RLC and this one surpasses it with the QR15. Tracks extremely well and I know this fork is very low maintenance. Works great with my Bike. If you get this fork, please get the QR15. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Fox Vanilla QR9MM

Bike Setup:   Chumba VF2 w/RP23, King Hubs, Bottom Bracket and Headset, Hope Stem and Mono Mini brakes, Race Face Deus XC Cranks.

Submitted by bogey a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth and Stiff.

Weaknesses:    1/2 lb heavier than the Float, but I don't care.

Bottom Line:
Mother of God this fork is plush. With my old air fork (Minute 3), high speed would make the front end squirrely. This Vanilla loves speed - much smoother.

I run the rebound two clicks off max slow, and the low speed compression all the way down.

15qr makes the front end predictable and track nice.

I haven't compared it with the modern Float or Talas. So I have no contrast with a modern air fork. But it smokes my old Minute 3 on small bump compliance.

I didn't choose the Vanilla because it's cheaper, I chose it because I wanted a coil fork; Didn't want to deal with sticky air forks that seem to get stickier over time as the seals degrade.

Buy this fork if you want maximum plushness on your all-Mountain rig.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry