DT Swiss EXM 150 15mm 2010 Forks

• Damping: Launch control, oil
  • Drop out: 15mm thru axle

Submitted by mogligirl a Weekend Warrior from spanish fork, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    Great looks. Carbon lowers=BLING. 15qr. Stiff. Light. Plush. Lauch control. Lots of travel. Matched color scheme of my bike.

Weaknesses:    Finding sweet spot is tricky (but worth it).
Trouble w/ seals leaking oil

Bottom Line:
So, to the get the bad stuff out of the way, I had to send it in twice to DT swiss to get the seals replaced--leaked a bit right out of the box and got worse; same after new seals. Third time was the charm. Shout out to DT Swiss and David Agipato for being super good at helping me out with lightning-fast turnaround.

So, yeah, retail is $1400, but you can get them new on Ebay for 1/2 that all the time.

Launch Control is a great feature. The drive train on trail bikes drags when you slam the fork down into low travel for the entire ascent, which is what you get w/ Fox, RockShox, and Marzocchi. With the Swiss, you ride at 150mm, but then for a steep technical section, bop the launch control button and nail it. When you're done using it, it will automatically extend back out to full travel when you hit a bump. Swiss brilliance.

Heart of this review is how the fork uses its travel. So, I like to race w/ XC boys but descend w/ gravity boys. Set a healty sag (25%, don't skimp). Set rebound to full-open fast. The swiss has some healthy stick-tion when climbing. Think of it as ultra low-speed compression. That aside, it is very plush, to the point that the brake dive w/ powerful brakes takes a little bit of getting used to. But it's worth it for the plushness. Also, I honestly never felt the fork bottom out, even on big-ish drops (for a trail rider, ie 7 ft.)

MTBR has a pro review on this fork. Its the most informative review out there, but it compares it to the Magura Thor and to the Manitou Minute. Really, who cares how it matches up to those? Who even rides those? Manitou Minutes are for 29ers, and Thors are for Scandinavians (said the guy whose writing a review on a foreign fork). This review is the one to read--most useful for agressive riders.

So comparing it to the Fox 150 Talas--its biggest competitor. Finally in 2011 the Talas goes head to head with the Swiss's 3.8 pound weight. Both use 15QR. Travel is the same, but I feel that the Swiss makes better use of it. After setting proper sag, I notice that my 2011 Talas rides low in its travel--it doesn't rebound out to the sag I set. When I add more air it feels too firm. DT Swiss rebounds out farther, leaving more travel to handle the trail. Additionally, I have bottomed out both the 2010 Talas 150 and the 2011 on bigger drops/jumps.

The one feature that the Talas has over the swiss is the 1.5 inch tapered steerer tube (which is what my new ride requires).

Bottom Line: Its hard to call a $1400 for a "sleeper," but I don't think the mountain biking community has given proper attention to this fork. ITS A REAL PERFORMER--not just carbon bling. It has my confidence and my vote.

If you found this review helpful, give me a shout: raelynnmogli at yahoo.

Favorite Trail:   benny creek or stumpjumper