RockShox Totem 2009 Forks

• 1-piece magnesium lower legs
  • 20x110mm Maxle-360 (quick-release) thru-axle

Submitted by SummerSalt

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    High volume low pressure air made possible by its 40mm stanchion. Macho yet lite.
Awesome on any terrain.

Weaknesses:    Nothin really.

Bottom Line:
The BEST fork I owned.

Submitted by oshow523 a Weekend Warrior from Freeport Pa

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Looks cool, its smooth through it travel and its stiff with zero flex.

Weaknesses:    Well, after a few trail rides and and a couple stair cases, the mission control quit working all together. The fork didnt see any abuse at all and just quits working on me. The trail rides i took in on were smooth and short nothing even technical. I took it to the lbs and they took it apart and couldnt find anything wrong with it so its getting sent back to them to have it fixed. I guess i have to say that this fork is total junk, im really disappointed with it. So if your interested in buying one of these debacles... Good luck, hope you have better luck than im having.

Bottom Line:
Cant say to many good things about it since it quit working before i could really use it for its intended usage. So good luck if you decide to get one. Maybe i just have bad luck or something, but im unimpressed with it right now. Fox has 180mm travel forks now so thats what i would go with if I was going to get a new fork, but i found a deal on this and went with it.

Purchased At:   Brand new from Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fox float, Rock Shox domain.

Bike Setup:   2009 Bighit 2, rock shox totem coil, chris king head set, raceface stem, easton havoc dh bars, intense 909 fro lites crank brothers 5050 pedals , fox dhx 5 on the way along with raceface atlas fr cranks

Submitted by bushwacker420 a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    plush, smooth travel. strong. great for jumping, huckin,can handle dh. sevice is relativly easy. youtube vid for rebuilding

Weaknesses:    out of box set up. soft springs. dh, didn't feel as solid(nothing beat dual crown for dh) i give 7 out of 10 for dh

Bottom Line:
this is a great fork. i weigh in at 250. (not including gear) i ride hard. while only a weekend warrior i really gave it to this fork last yr. with many to trips through out bc. i was having trouble setting up the fork at first. i blew the seal after 4-5 months, ordered a new one and stiffer springs. service was a breeze followin the you tube vids. after the service the fork really began to show its potential. i replaced the oil with 10w. it handles all terrian with ease, i noticed the dh preformance was increased. great fork for all fr, am, or dh( performance on dh was not a real issue)

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   marz. 66

Bike Setup:   commencal supreme 6 / rockymountain rmx

Submitted by snakesterhk a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth travel, stiff, pedal friendly

Weaknesses:    Need to be maintained more than other forks.

Bottom Line:
Initially when I first put them on my bike I was happy with the 09 coil Totems. I rode them for a while and something didn't feel great. I took them for a overhaul and the difference was night and day.

I can't say enough about these forks now. Great small bump and big hit feel. Turn the motion control and you have a very pedal friendly fork. The maxle started loosening so I took it apart and greased the threads tightened it and no problems since.

Lot's of negatives on this site for the old totem but I think RS has fixed the previous years problems because these are reliable, smooth and it feel like a triple crown. 4 months since overhaul with alot of use and they still feel great.

These forks need to be maintained but you will be rewarded. Maybe I have been lucky. Many people have had problems with last years Totems but RS seem to have fixed at least some of the problems.

Favorite Trail:   5th Horseman

Purchased At:   I have a guy

Similar Products Used:   66,888, Fox 40,36, Lyrik

Bike Setup:   Uzzi with freeride setup

Submitted by wyatt79m a Weekend Warrior from Bloomsburg, PA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    feels awesome for a few hours

Weaknesses:    big pile of poo

Bottom Line:
totem coil sucks. I only got too ride it a few hours and it started clunk and blow through it's travel. When you can bottom out your fork with one finger, something isn't right. Sent it back... My freinds totem did the same thing.

Submitted by bindibaji a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    Very plush, tweakability and looks.

Weaknesses:    Not very robust.

Bottom Line:
2 Totems, 2 failures.
A goup of four us have just got back from two weeks in the Alps (Les Gets, Alps D'Huez & Dues Alps). Two of us had Rock Shox Totem coils, both failed. On my fork the mission control unit blew leaking oil all over me and the bike. Now on my mates Totem. The rebound broke leaving him with an expensive pogo stick. Both problems fixable but the extra cost of repair and riding time lost while on holiday, is not good. Especially when you think about how much these forks cost.

Similar Products Used:   None, this was my first FR/DH fork.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign

Submitted by phatfreeheeler a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    -Lots of tuning options - separate high and low speed compression, adjustable lockout, rebound, oil, spring
-Stiff, it just looks tough
-butter smooth after break in (took about a week of riding)
-Maxle is nice, secure but quick

Weaknesses:    -A bit heavier then Rockshox spec'd - 6.57lbs w/Med spring.
-Coil weights are bit larger jumps than ideal. I would love a spring between med and soft

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork to replace the 66 light. Huge improvement!! It might even be better then my 888 for everything but high speed small bumps and massive hits. Once the fork broke in it has felt very buttery, smooth and most importantly very predictable. A little seepage from the right leg seal but nothing of consequence and only happens when the lower leg oil is full. Makes it easy to tell that the leg is lubed well. I did drop to a softer spring and for everything but jumping and nose heavy drops I think it suits me better than the med. I can now increase damping to tune the fork more specifically and it's getting more dialed every day. Before the spring was so stiff I ran everything open and it was still pretty harsh. Sweet for popping off jumps though. I need to spend a little more time on it and will report later.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Bike Park