RockShox Tora Race 2009 Forks

• Updated, Tora 1-piece magnesium lower legs
  • 9x100mm quick release dropouts

Submitted by gfourth a Cross Country Rider from CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great adjustability, relatively light for the price, nice and plush ride

Weaknesses:    wish it didn't have the vbrake mounts... but that's just cosmetic

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace the faulty 08 dart3 the bike originally had. The ride is much smoother. Love the adjustability, especially with the air model. I fine tuned the PSI to match my weight (it comes with a handy fork pump). Compression adjustment is awesome– You can adjust the travel anywhere from 0"- 4". So you can lock it out for climbs, go full travel on the way down, and anywhere between. I like to give it half the compression for climbs that are rocky.

The air model is great for XC use. Good value from rockshox, if you want to upgrade the crappy fork on your entry level hardtrail you can't go wrong with the Tora race.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   dart3

Bike Setup:   cdale F5, BB7's, wtb vraptors, Tora Race Air 100mm

Submitted by taputah a Cross Country Rider from Lehi, UT USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Strengths:    Much lighter than my previous shocks. The white looks brilliant. V-brake bosses much stiffer than Marzocchi. Adjusts easily and I can tune it perfect even being 240lbs. Love it

Weaknesses:    Don't know of any yet. Only had it for a short while, but so far it's the best shock I've owned.

Bottom Line:
Hopefully this one lasts for a little while because not only does it look awesome on my bike, it performs really well. I love the turn key compression and the feel of the easiness of the solo air. Great shock!

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Zocchi MX Supercomp, RST Gila, Manitou from '96.

Bike Setup:   Hardrock, Avid SD-7 v's, LX derailleurs.

Submitted by fatperson32 a Weekend Warrior from Westport, CT

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    Rebound dampening works very well, quite plush, adjustable air spring, light, compression

Weaknesses:    Not stiff at all...there is very noticable flex. Compression has to be turned about halfway for any difference in compression.

Bottom Line:
This is quite a good fork. I was lucky enough to get this for free after my previous Dart 3's failed 3 times. While this fork is not stiff and has a tendency to flex, it is quite plush and can be used for some DJ if you put the psi way up. The graphics on the fork are not great but look nice. The Motion Control dampening system is great, with adjustable low speed compression and rebound. Overall a very good fork for the money

Purchased At:   Bethel Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Dart 3 (worst fork ever)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F5, cane creek headset, X7 drivetrain, FSA crank, Avid BB5s

Submitted by largeMarv a Cross Country Rider from Louisville,KY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    The compression is great. You can fully lock out the fork for any uphill battles, then open up for the descent.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Overall, this fork is the shiznit!! I'm a big guy (6'1", 215 lbs) and the fork handles very well. I got this fork to replace one which I broke, and this one seems to handle anything I throw at it. I would recommend the Tora to any rider, whether you're into XC epic rides or you're into free riding.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County State Park, Indiana

Purchased At:   Joe the Bikesmith

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport: Race Face Evolve XC crankset, WTB SpeedDisc AM rear wheel, Hayes MX-1 disc brake,SRAM X-7 rear derailleur, Good & Evil grips, OEM front wheel

32mm Reba maxle lower on a 32mm Tora Race sl solo-air upper?

I'm wanting to stiffen up my front end on a budget. So I'm wandering if I can make a bastard fork from my stock Tora upper and a Reba lower, then re-lace in a new hub. Has anyone done this, or am I stuck buying a new fork?Read More »

Tora Race or Reba Race

So I bought a Reba cuz I thought I'd be building up something and found a good deal on it. But then I also found a good deal on a Salsa Mamasita equipped with the Tora Race fork. Now I have two forks. My question is whether there is significant difference in performance between the two forks or is w ... Read More »

07ish RS Tora Race Solo Air 29 travel reduce question

Can the travel be reduced from 100mm to 80mm on the model Tora pictured below? Assuming it's about a 07-08ish Model, may be newer???? It's a Race Solo Air. [IMG][IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/nitrousjunky/Sale%20Items/MTB%20Sale%20Items/IMG_3224.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]Read More »

2009 Tora Race 29 max rotor size?

I'm replacing the crappy stock 160mm Tektro auriga hydros for BB-7 and was hoping that a 203mm will fit. Anyone tried this or know if it will work? Just checking before I buy. Thanks.Read More »

09 Tora Race convert to u turn?

I have a 2009 Tora Race (29") that I would like to convert to u turn. Is this possible?Read More »