RockShox Sid Team 2009 Forks

• Dual Air spring system
  • 1 1/8" aluminum steerer tube

Submitted by Picinino a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, would be a decent fork if it were not for the weakness described below.

Weaknesses:    Front wheel does not align properly on this fork. I did not notice it until I intalled a 2.1" tire. The tire is offset and rubs.

Bottom Line:
I called SRAM and told them of the problem, they denied any knowledge of this design flaw. But take a look at this:-

I have dropped my bike off at the LBS as advised by SRAM to diagnose the problem. I am hopeful that SRAM comes through for me. If they do not I don't think I will risk buying another RockShox fork.

On a lighter note, I do like my other SRAM products, particularly the shifting.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham

Duration Product Used:   Too Long

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Bend, O

Similar Products Used:   RockShox REBA
Fox Float

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Expert - Carbon. Mostly SRAM Grouppo which I mostly like, especially shfters. Stans no tubes rims I9 hubs, Hollwtech cranks. Rest of the components are stock.

Submitted by greencycle a Cross Country Rider from Perth

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    function very well in keeping the wheel on the ground,

Weaknesses:    extremely flexible and poorly aligned, really effects control and handling, never quite sure where you may end up whilst braking hard and sharp cornering, I don't do drops or jumps, and still flexibility is still an issue. Two sets in three months, awaiting a third set.

Bottom Line:
If the forks were straight and were free of flex they would be the best functioning fork I have used they are very light, and work well, unfortunately to achieve the low weight they have sacrificed in my opinion far to much rigidity which has adversely effected the control that can be achieved with this product. If your going to purchase this fork, first stand over the bike hold the front brake on and depress the fork hard and fast whilst keeping an eye on the front wheel, most shocks with flex a little but these will flex a lot. These shocks would suit someone extremely light, and very smooth or not very aggressive in there riding style. Smooth trail shock

Favorite Trail:   Turner Hill

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 F series, marzochi corsa.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, XT cranks, XTR derailleur, XTR shifters,

Submitted by DennisK a Cross Country Rider from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, tunable, responsive, great climber

Weaknesses:    Too damn flexy both off and on the road. I can literally see the legs bob under hard breaking but so far it doesn't seem to have any effect on the performance. At 69kg I'm not a heavy rider and I don't do jumps and drops. I use the fork for aggressive XC - just hope the legs won't snap under me one of these days

Bottom Line:
Good, for the money - hope it lasts

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   RS Tora, RS Reba

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caffeine frame, X9 rear mech, XT front mech, AmClassic wheelset, Juicy brakes

Submitted by BelieveSTRONG a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty stiff, right amount of plushiness if properly setup unlike the old model of SID. Great handling response. Looks fresh and neat for its simple decals. Cheaper than the other top F-brand.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any so far. Hope there will be none.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended for XC racers or Epic riders who take speed above jumps and drops. High quality fork that saves extra bucks.

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa Eco Trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox F-100 RL

Bike Setup:   Marin Palisade Trails (XC hardtail)

Submitted by RideFaster a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff

Weaknesses:    Quality control
Crooked lowers
Comes with zero oil
Squeaky lockout
Tops out harshly
Poploc gets stuck (doesn't return)
Apparently needs to be rebuilt after every ride

Bottom Line:
I originally had a 2009 Sid Race. It had all the problems listed in weaknesses except the squeaky lockout. I was coming close to crashing because of the crooked lowers (Sram admits that is a known issue) that didn't hold the wheel straight in the fork. The newer Rebas have the same problem.

It also came with zero oil, which I didn't realize until after the "BREAK in" period because it leaked air between the positive and negative chambers and felt horrible. Their $1000+ Boxxers came with zero oil too. Trying to keep the weight down RS???

So, my fork was warrantied. But it took 4 weeks or so to get a new fork because Sram kept forgetting to ship it (during race season). I finally got the new fork (a Team) and the lowers were crooked again and the lockout squeaked. What was bad was that RS had to rebuild it before it shipped out, to bump the travel from 80 to 100. I'm surprised they didn't check it during this. Then, I got new lowers from them. They are straight.

In the end, I spent $200 on rebuilds. It has been rebuilt 3 times, once by a local shop, once by Rockshox and once by QBP's STC.

It still squeaks when locked out, but I'll deal with that.
It works okay now, but the performance is far below what I would expect for a $700ish fork. My 2005 Reba was better than this.

The 2009 Sid stuff is disgusting. I think everyone likes it because of being force fed BS marketing. It really is worse than older RS stuff.

Their quality control is HORRIBLE. They seriously need to get their act together. The only thing they have going for them is good customer service, to take care of all the warranty issues they create.

Buy a Fox.

Similar Products Used:   2005 Reba Team, Fox, Manitou, etc.

Bike Setup:   Trek Top Fuel

Submitted by veritechy a Weekend Warrior from san francisco

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Strengths:    Very plush. Uses all of travel unlike some other brands (not to be named). Very light and doesn't flex

Bottom Line:
Awesome fork. Lot's of adjustability. Plush and light

Favorite Trail:   skegg's

Similar Products Used:   Fox f100 rlc

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain vertex

Submitted by dave_bouf a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    Lightness

Weaknesses:    Not self-cleaning?

Bottom Line:
It's light...As far as being weak...I've never noticed.

I am pretty sure I'd be just as happy with a Reba.

Favorite Trail:   The dry one.

Purchased At:   Interweb

Similar Products Used:   The 2009 Sid Team in white is very similar

Bike Setup:   1x9 hardtail

Submitted by D1PHAM a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clara, CA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Super plush, stiff, light and smooth throughout the whole travel. 0 stiction.

Weaknesses:    None. MSRP maybe.

Bottom Line:
Switched from an 08 Reba WC and I must say that the difference is night and day. The SID is much more plush and does a better job at small bump compliance. At 1460 grams (uncut steer tube /w star nut) this thing is almost 100 grams lighter than my Reba but stiffer due to the power bulges. I've ridden other SID's, Reba's and Fox's but this is by far the best.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Reba WC, Fox F100, Older SID's.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem

Submitted by krisko a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Very flexy for me weight 85ks'

Bottom Line:
Be careful as the fork does flex substantially more than a Reba or Fox RL/RLC. I ride light on the bike but carve turns as required and this fork instills a sence of insecurity. I changed tyres several times and pressures as well as fork pressures to no avail.
Thing is on non technical sections the fork is fine but on rock gardens etc it will flex you into a bad line.
Pinning corners made me feel on edge.
Lighter riders will be fine.
On a carpark 'Push test' compress the fork and watch the fork flex the wheel will move some 12mm or so.....
I cant rate it high as it scared me its back to a FOX or Reba for me.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill