RockShox Revelation 426 2009 Forks

• 1-1/8" threadless aluminum steerer
  • Dropout: 20x110mm Maxle-Lite or Quick Release

Submitted by kattrap a Cross Country Rider from Scruz

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    U-Turn, lockout

Weaknesses:    leaks

Bottom Line:
110 and open: pump track
110/120 and locked: steep road climb (to get to sweet singletrack)
140 and open: almost everything else that Santa Cruz trails have to offer.

Bought it used, seals had been replaced once already. Garbage oil coming out of places that other forks do not. LBS shop worker shrugged it off.
Takes a beating, keeps on eating up the bumps.

Nice to have a fork that works fine on pump tracks, singletrack and small jumps. I'd rather have a talas, but the price was right.

Similar Products Used:   Float, Tora, Dart (yeah, this one not so similar)

Bike Setup:   Chameleon

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    feels plush on big hits
adjustable

Weaknesses:    remote lockout broke and I can't get them to warranty the pos

Bottom Line:
I quit riding rockshox around 1996 because they just fell apart and leaked oil all over the place. After years on Marzocchi forks, I decided to try the Revalation. It turns out, RS still makes junk that just falls apart. However, they now have their warranty service so convoluted that you might as well toss your fork when something goes wrong. The only good part is that now that the warranty has expired, I don't have to waste my time trying to get service.

Nice fork when it worked; but,I really regret not spending a little more for a TALAS

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   tree fort

Similar Products Used:   a bunch

Bike Setup:   one one ti 456

Submitted by tommygunn a Weekend Warrior from denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    plush, stiff, great riding highly adjustable

Weaknesses:    seals/compression cartridge in the left leg has blown out twice

Bottom Line:
well this fork rides great when it worx if it worx but mine has spent half it's first year in the shop.

I've ridden quite a few forks in the 5" range in my quest for the perfect trailbike fork, I'm not a jumper but looking for a solid through axle fork to get me through the ruff stuff here in Colorado. I bought this fork in the spring of 09 i had been considering getting the pike then they came out w/ a rev 140 w/ the maxle lite so i jumped on that. i had been looking for a 5.5" fork w/ a 20mm through axle and the RS Rev or Pike are some of the few forx that match this description.

I had the fork for about 6 weeks and the compression cartridge in the right leg blew out. the fork was in the shop for 6 weex waiting on RS to send a new cartridge finally got the fork back in action and within 5 rides the cartridge blew out again then the fork was in the shop another 8 weex before RS sent a "2010 cartridge" haven't ridden the newly rebuilt fork yet but so far this fork has spent more time in the shop than on the trail. when it's working it's a great feeling fork, very stiff relatively light, plush...

i've had good luck w/ RS stuff before, liked how the forx were plusher than fox and at a better price point, but after this experience i dunno. it's also frustrating that the 2009 Revelation was only on the market for something like 8 months then RS debuts a totally new 2010 version w/ a new chassis and .4 lbs lighter. it's like adding insult to injury to come out with a whole new fork after I waited on the current model and then dealt w/ all of the blow outs. kinda doubt i'll be doing the RS thing again after this experience.

Favorite Trail:   indian creek trail

Purchased At:   online retailer

Similar Products Used:   07 RS revelation 426 dual air uturn, fox float 130 rlc, RS Reba, Manitou Minute

Bike Setup:   turner 5 spot

Submitted by Senor StrongBad a Weekend Warrior from Spartanburg, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to set-up. Remote lock out rocks.

Weaknesses:    does not come in yellow

Bottom Line:
This fork is sweet. especially with the 20mm maxle. The remote lock out function is great and if you learn to use it become second nature. I am surprised that it feels so endless in its travel and yet eats up the little bumps and well as the big drops. I am so far really happy with this fork. While the lock out feature is great for when you get up out of the saddle and sprint up hill, it is not needed for most other climbs as the fork does not bob around on you. It looks better then the dull fox grey and is just as light as its conterparts. I do wish it had the hight adjustment the talas has but this is a small caviate. It is the best fork I have riden to date. Rockshox gives you the most bang for our buck. I have this on a $5500.00 dream bike and wouldn't think of trading it in for another fork. If you are looking for a 140mm travel fork look no further. If there where more flamin chilis then 5 I would give it more for its value.

Favorite Trail:   South Side

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   fox float, marzocchi marathon, reba.

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5. Loaded.

Submitted by Rickterrusty a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    What Can say that gives this shock justice. The 140mm of travel with the U-turn adjustment is super ice for climbing. Also the lockout with the valve adjustment give the fork a pro-pedal kinda feeling. It is super light and also very stiff. I hammer on this thing from trail to light freeride and DH, and it eat it up. I have ridden a lot fo different forks and this is easily one of the best of all time. Rock Shox is back in a big way.

Weaknesses:    None, as perfect as a shock can get.

Bottom Line:
If you need a great all around and true "all mountain" that can climb this is the shock for you!!!!!!!!!!! I am also a bigger rider at 225 and this thing is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Downeville Downhill

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Marzocchi.

Bike Setup:   2009 Titus FTM

Submitted by bramfw a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, sets up easily.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This review should be read with the caveat that I've only used this fork for fewer than 10 rides so far.
Those 10 rides, however, have been great-- I have used a lot of forks, particularly in this ~5" segment, and the Fox's have always treated me well.
After using this fork, though, I'm left wondering why I've been shying away from Rockshox. While building my bike, I was talking the decision over with the guys at Greenfish, and they remarked that Fox is "definitely a better fork." But after having been on the Revelation I just don't see it. I'm about 150 riding weight so the whole "flexy fork" thing was never something that I felt all that much, but in terms of tracking, small/big bump compliance, smoothness, etc., I can't see the Revelation conceding an inch to Fox's offerings in any of those categories.
I was riding a couple of days ago and happened unexpectedly off of a 1.5 ft. drop-- the Revelation soaked up the hit and rebounded gracefully.

I can't speak for durability, but even without the price difference, I'm extremely happy with my Revelation; throw in that I spent about $300 less than I would have on a comparable Fox, and you get 5 chilis for value and 5 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco, Avalon

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Fox TALAS RLC, TALAS RL, Float RLC, F29 100, C'dale carbon lefty (29er), Manitou Minute (29er), Maverick SC32, all except the Float on current bikes.

Bike Setup:   The one that has this fork on it is a Titus ML1, King hubs/DT rims, xtr derailleurs, xt shifters, cassette, chain, 2010 Deus cranks, Deus stem (love it), Monkeylite bars, juicy brakes (meh), crank brothers iodine HS.

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth travel
Remote lockout

Weaknesses:    More flexible that Fox

Bottom Line:
After using a Marzocchi Bomber, the a RockShox Psylo, then a Fox, I thought I'd stick with Fox forever. Well, when purchasing my new Ibis Mojo, I wanted a fork lockout for xc racing. Rockshox offered it, Fox did not. I am very pleased with the lockout. I'm also very pleased with the fork action. At least as good as my PUSHed Fox, perhaps better. But only after experimenting with the positive and negative air plus the clickers. The shop guy set the rebound by bouncing it up and down on the showroom floor. He expressed confidence in his ability to get is set by doing that. I rode it several times and did not like the suspension action but was a little intimidated by his confidence in his settings. Well, on a really long downhill with rocks and roots, I stopped every 50 feet or so and messed with the clickers. Ended up with the rebound much farther out. Now it works GREAT! Only issue is some fork flex on high speed rocky downhills, particularly in turns. Can feel it wind up a little bit in fast rocky turns. Not really bad, but there is flex. Well worth it for me anyway because I like the action and the lockout (for climbing out of the saddle).

Favorite Trail:   Rocks

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Several Fox 32mm including TALAS

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo

Submitted by CKwik240 a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth and plush. Travel adjustment works well.

Weaknesses:    Could have come with a new star nut and post mounts for brakes.

Bottom Line:
I have the dual air version with QR. It works great. Feels much more rigid than the Dart 3, but much more compliant and controlled over bumps. The travel adjustment works as stated and can be used while riding. It can be a bit awkward to do so, but can be done. The compression adjustment and lockout work as stated. Rebound adjustment shows a noticable degree of change from min to max. I weigh about 200 lbs and with the air adjusted to about 140 in both chambers, it feels great and used most of its travel. I considered the TALAS from Fox, but the price was way to steep. This was on sale and I'm quite content.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Dart 3

Bike Setup:   06 GT iDrive 5

Submitted by scottzg a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    good stiffness, plush and not dive-y, uses full travel (as a coil fork)

Weaknesses:    primitive rebound, mine came with tight lowers.

Bottom Line:
I bought the dual air model, and was pissed. It was worse than my old tora 318. Harsh and inconsistent. After a few months it wasn't getting better and i put on my tora lowers. Problem solved, but now i couldn't make it any plusher than the tora and still use 95% percent of travel on the biggest hits. Every ride started with 5 minutes futzing with air pressures. EVentually tore out the air spring crap and put a coil in. Ahhhhh... this is how this fork is supposed to feel. The air spring is good, i realize in retorspect, having ridden more forks, but the coil is the one to buy.

Favorite Trail:   braille

Similar Products Used:   most of the similar stuff on the market.

Bike Setup:   long travel hardtail

Submitted by Rod a Weekend Warrior from Keller,TX

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very light and very adjustable. Love the maxle lite and how easy it is to function. The rebound can be set to your riding style and it's negative and postive air and flood gate is always fun to mess with and get a great feeling from them.

Weaknesses:    None so far...but I did lower it to 100mm of travel and I guess we put too much oil and I pushed beyond the travel and my flood gate leaks a bit, but that should be a very easy fix.

Bottom Line:
So far the best and greatest dual air fork I have felt.

Favorite Trail:   Grapvine Northshore

Purchased At:   Bicycles Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Pike 426, Marzochhi 55 ata

Bike Setup:   07 Specialized P.1 Fully customized with Sun Ringle Equalizer 31 rims and Hope Pro 2 hubs, of course the fork and coming up, LX cranks.

Submitted by joehspicer@msn.com a Weekend Warrior from bromley, london

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    everything about this fork is just great; smooth, easy to tune and massive amounts to tune! light considering whats its designed to be used for, stiff, great for any use really, climbs brilliantly with pop-loc

Weaknesses:    On mine the external floodgate wont turn.... but im looking into that on the weekend

Bottom Line:
no matter what you use it for, this forks gonna be great
i use it on anything i can, xc, downhill, even dirt jumps and no problem on the road when locked out
everythings highy tuneable, dual air is great and reboud easy to adjust, only thing like i said earlyer is that my floodgate wont turn, which affects the locked out performance, but im sure thats not hard to fix
overall, BRILLIANT fork,
buy it now
especially at the price i got it for from merlin cycles

Favorite Trail:   dont really have specific trails... just bits and pieces

Purchased At:   merlin cycles online

Similar Products Used:   just my old suntour xcr's, dont compare to these though

Bike Setup:   alloy hardtail, hydraulic quad brakes (to be upgraded to elixir's!!), shimano deore gearing system, blah blah blah

Submitted by rocketscience a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    Maxle is a great invention. The poploc control is much sturdier than the old version. Great weight to stiffness ratio.

Weaknesses:    None noticed

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Dual Air version. Sadly for the LBS they gave me the price of the older model Revelation so I saved about $150. Though not as stiff as the Fox36R it replaced, the weight saving has been totally worth it. It has enough travel for all mountain riding and still allows for decent climbing. As mentioned, the maxle is brilliant. It's easy and quick to remove the wheel and saves weight without sacrificing strength. The poploc has been updated and now has a metal lever that my old one didn't so it's stronger and the disengagement is better thought out than the previous version.
The Revelation is easily as good as the Fox Float QR15 but doesn't cost as much. The new graphics are nicely designed too. RS have definately created a winning fork.

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36R, RS Reba, RS Psylo xc, Manitou x-vert

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo with Fox DHXair, mix of SRAM, Shimano, Hope pro2 hubs and other carbon bits.

Submitted by GQOSE a Weekend Warrior from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    The fork is light, maxlelite is awesome, very plush for a 140mm fork, easy to adjust the dual air.

Weaknesses:    My fork lost about an inch of travel after 1 1/2 months riding it, rock shox sent me back a new rebound damper which i had to install and send back the old faulty one. Havent had any complaints since. the stantions tend to get, 'stuck' a couple mm's below 140mm.

Bottom Line:
A very nice trail fork, wouldnt recommend riding it for resort riding or steep xc riding unless you have the uturn version.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn area

Similar Products Used:   Fox vanilla 32, Fox talas 36 RC2, Rock Shox recon 351

Bike Setup:   2009 Santa Cruz Blur Lt2, fox rp23 in rear, hope pro 2 hubs, xt drivetrain, hayes stroker trail brakes.

Submitted by scooter24 a Cross Country Rider from manchester,ct. usa

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    Very plush when firm,poploc works great,easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This fork works great with the dual air setup and poploc.Fork is light for XC.Just a little pricey.

Favorite Trail:   fern trail to tinti

Similar Products Used:   manitou nixon,fox float

Bike Setup:   chumba xcl,xt everything

Submitted by sam575 a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    Adjustability
User friendly
Light
Stiff
Upgraded graphics
Super plush
Extra 10mm travel over old model (now 140mm)
Finish

Bottom Line:
RS have refined an already great fork. More travel, more plush, new poploc, improved graphics.
For example, the travel adjust switch on the 2007 model flops around after a few months of use. For 2009, they seem to have a better quiality unit that feels a lot tighter and nicer to use.
It feels stiffer than my Fox Float and you get the full amount of travel out it - unlike the Fox where you'd be lucky to use 80% of its travel because it ramps-up so much towards the end of the stroke (which Fox air spring forks have a reputation for).

I've only ridden it 5 times, but I'm already convinced that it's a superior fork over the more expensive Fox. Manitou and Marz are still catching up, I can't comment on the Maguras or DT Swiss.

Plus RS are a lot easier to service.

IMO, Simply the best 140mm fork avaiable today...which makes it superb value for money at $600.

It deserves 6 chilis for value!

Similar Products Used:   2007 RS Revelation 426 Air U-Turn (still own it), 2008 Fox 32 Float 140mm (still own it), 2006 Fox Float, 2006 Fox Vanilla, 2006 Manitou Minute, 2008 Manitou Minute MRD

Bike Setup:   2007 RM ETSX Team, RS Revelation fork, King headset, Chris King/Mavic 819 wheelset, Hope mini mono, Sram XO, Thomson stem and post.

eBay rockshox revelation 426 leaking oil

I purchased a used Rockshox revelation 426 u turn 100-130mm. It came covered in oil and seems to be from the motion control knob. The ad says its a 2011 but when I google that year it shows one with different decals. Did I get screwed? I paid $147 after shipping. Ill ad some pics of the leakage l ... Read More »

2008 revelation 426 question.

I am looking at the rockshox revelation to replace my fork. I saw a 2008 426 version on sale for $370 brand new. Would it be worth it or should I just get the 2011 model for around $500 on sale? Is there enough difference between a 2008 and 2011 to justify the difference in cost?Read More »

Preloading a Revelation 426 Coil

I have a 426 Coil U-Turn Revelation (2008 I believe), that I am demoing and looking to buy as a cheap alternative to my Float 140RL, and the sag is really bad, it will actually sag about 5-10mm under the bikes weight, so I'm guessing that the spring itself may have sagged. Is there any way of inc ... Read More »

Rockshox Revelation 426 Stuck in Locked Out position

Hi, Relative newbie to MTB so go easy. My Revelation 426's are stuck - i have hardly any travel in them at all. The Lock out key on the fork turns but has no affect on the forsk at all. Both upper and lower chambers say 120psi ? Any ideas ? Had forks since 2008. Never serviced.:madman:Read More »

Pushed 2009 Revelation 426 VS. 2011 Talas Terralogic 140

I have a 2009 Revelation 426 in perfect condition. I'm planning to install this fork on my recently acquired dw link turner spot. Would the fork action of the revelation match the advanced suspension dynamics of a dw spot? I'm afraid that this fork may be too "simple" for the frame. I'm planning ... Read More »