RockShox Recon Race 2009 Forks

• Light and stiff, with 100mm travel
  • Easy-to-tune, lightweight air spring system
  • Tapered aluminum-walled 32mm upper tubes
  • Disc and V-brake compatible

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Plush, stiff, everything you need, nothing you don't.

Weaknesses:    none, really...unless you want more adjustability. Also, you can't turn the rebound damping completely off.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to replace my 6 year old SID team mainly because I just wanted more travel and stiffness than the 80mm SID could provide. The Rocky Mountains can be really rocky after all. I settled on the Recon for several reasons: 1. It has travel that is adjustable from 80-130mm (with the internal spacer). 2. It is the same basic fork as the Reba but without dual air or an adjustable floodgate. 3. I was able to find one for nearly half the price of the closest Reba.
The Recon is dynamite! It is reasonably light, nice and stiff, and super plush. With the Solo Air system, the negative air chamber pressure is automatically set equal to the positive air chamber pressure for best small bump performance (Which is how I used to set my SID up anyhow so I don't miss the dual air) and the floodgate is set to release right about where I'd have it anyway. These lack of internal adjustments don't bog you down with endless tuning and fiddling and also give you a fork that is simpler to overhaul when that time comes. I really think that people get way too wound up with adjustments they don't understand and buy forks they don't really need. I have a Tora 318 solo air on my hardtail and even though it's a bit heavier because it has steel upper tubes,it's the same fork. If you were around at the dawn of suspension fork technology 20 years ago like I was, then you know how good even these modern 'mid level' forks are. You really don't need to spend $600 to get a decent fork anymore. The Recon (and Tora) are proof.

Favorite Trail:   Fast and Technicial