RockShox Boxxer Team 2009 Forks

The Rockshox Boxxer platform continues to evolve. Downhill is about going fast, reading the terrain and using it to your advantage to be able to beat the fastest rider. The Rockshox Boxxer is perfect for doing this on any downhill course.

Submitted by Erik a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2016

Strengths:    This fork is absolutely amazing. I've had it on my bike since I bought it and have had no problems whatsoever. It is lightweight yet durable, an all around great racing fork too. I've used it on Canyons Downhill, Fire Swamp, Thieves Forest and Go Pro Double Down many times and have abused it thoroughly and it is still going strong today. I would definitely recommend Rock Shox to anyone who is looking for reliable suspension. Many of my riding buddies have used one of these forks and they too loved the feel and performance of them. They are plush and rebound is quick, but the suspension is stiff enough to handle almost anything you can put it through.

Weaknesses:    The weakness is the axle clamp. If tightened just even a little too much, it can snap. Does need to be rebuilt after a hard race to be at optimal performance. If you want a long lasting fork that doesn't need to be rebuilt often, I would suggest a Fox 40. If you do not have the financial means to rebuild this fork often, I would not recommend it. It can cost up to 250 bucks to rebuild it if you decide to use high performance parts for the internals, which can empty your wallet surprisingly quick as you could imagine.

Bottom Line:
Overall great fork and all around great performance. Great for most rides unless you are a Redbull Rampage rider. Repairs are a little pricey but worth the extra money, axle clamps are a little weak, be careful when tightening it.

Favorite Trail:   Canyons Downhill

Duration Product Used:   6 years

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Boxxer RC2

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz V10, also have one on my Bullit

Submitted by kane a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2013

Strengths:    Do what you need them to
easy to work on
low maintaiance

Weaknesses:    heavier than newer forks
dont look as trick as other forks these days

Bottom Line:
The 2009 boxxer teams are a great fork, i have been using them for years now and find them great. I did however do one modification by fitting a pushed damping system in, the kit was easy to install and from what i gather it customises the rebound of the fork to the riders weight. Once i put this kit in my forks i cant fault them, they ride well and ive only ever metal to metal bottomed them out once. I even have high speed collision with a foot and a half deep pot hole ragdolling me and my bike. The forks were totally unscathed but so much pressure was applied through the fork that the frame top tube of my DH bike cracked. Truth be told i dont know how these forks compare to newer models but i have honestly never felt the need to upgrade. In my experience i have found trhem to be a tough, reliable and easy to work on fork

Bike Setup:   Kona operator: 2009 boxxer teams assorted other bits

Submitted by Trevor

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent feel, plenty of travel.

Weaknesses:    Snapped lowers clean in half on first ride

Bottom Line:
If you expect to crash don't buy them. I snapped the lowers by hitting a tree going about 15-20 mph, I don't know if the crash was a fluke but my body hit the tree just as hard as the forks and I was out riding the next day. Before they broke I was hitting 15 foot drops and 6-8 foot drop to flat and I absolutely loved them. Very plush.

Submitted by da peach a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and plush, nice and new.

Weaknesses:    A little delicate

Bottom Line:
Well, as much as I like(d) the fork, I rode it for 4 months (20 rides?) and it appears I've twisted the lowers.

I ride the Shore, so different terrain than your average World Cup DH course. I fall off like everybody does. But I've taken WAY worse bails than I have in the last 4 months on my old fork. The Boxxer bent with minimal "abuse".

A fine fork, yes. But a little delicate? Yes.

I'm no behemoth either. I'm 5'9" and 160.

Maybe a freak accident, but I don't have much confidence that it's going to hold up the way I'd like it to.

Who should buy this fork? Either people who never crash, or those who can afford to replace the lowers on a semi-regular basis.

Who shouldn't but this fork? People who crash more than average and can't afford to repair their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   CBC