Marzocchi 66 RC3 2009 Forks

2.83/5 (6 Reviews)

• 180mm Travel
  • Aluminum Reinforced Steer Tube
  • 38mm Alloy Stanchions
  • 8” Post Mount (Max Disc 9”)
  • 20MM QR Axle

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Downhiller from St. Helena, CA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    Ramp Up - Steerer Width - Color - Wipers - Basically All.

Weaknesses:    Creaky Crown

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace my dh set bottoming out travis. It is a WORLD better. A bit stiff factory set, but a small tap of the air pre-load and your good to go! I hit some of the gnarliest Northstar downhill and freeride with mine, bringing it to the expanses of a single crown, and it just keeps giving. No bottoming out, not even on 5'+ drops and overshot doubles to flat landings, but still very plush, progressive travel. The wipers are great with no stickage and true to a zocchi's reputation, the gnarlier you ride it, the better they feel, Infinitely. Perfect for FR or DH, and with a plethora of adjustments to fine tune to you, this is it.

The 2009 model year RC3 is also the 60th anniversary edition coloring, with a never before, and never again blue/silver lowers and black anodized stanchions and crown.

Favorite Trail:   Gypsy @ NorthStar

Purchased At:   pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Travis 180 TPC - Marzocchi 55R - Marzocchi Super T - Rockshox Totem Solo Air

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 7Point w/ outlaws, Deore XT Drivetrain, Fox Vanilla RC, Marzocchi 66 RC3

Submitted by nomad57 a Weekend Warrior from moreno valley, ca

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    stiffness

Weaknesses:    can't use all the travel

Bottom Line:
Have had this fork for 6mos now. Have never been able to use all of its 7" of travel. Called Mike at Marz...he was helpful in the beginning..suggested a softer spring..$ 50.00 got me an inch more travel. Called again, Mike told me to check oil hight. I did..called him back to give him the results..couldn't reach him...numerous calls and messages,he won't call back.

have done some experimenting...took out some oil and gained another inch..now have 6" of travel but the damping is not very good. Only thing that I can adjust that works is the rebound.

Talked to a Marz mech at Sea Otter..no help...acted like I was not worthy of his time. Very disappointed, have had Marz forks before with no problem.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Fox talas 36

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit, zocchi rocco wc, mavic dee traks, xt componets

Submitted by Ckummen a Weekend Warrior from Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustability....maybe.

Weaknesses:    I bought the fork. I had a shop put it on. I rode it for 10 miles, one ride. By the end I felt like my headset was incredibly loose, but no, the fork lowers were sliding for and aft. Jenson would not take it back and exchange it for another because the steer tube was cut at instalation and so I had my local bike shop send it to Marcocchi I have since sent it back to Marzocchi but the big M has taken over a month the fix it and send it back fixed. I have no idea how much longer I have to wait. I am nothing but disapointed.

Bottom Line:
See weaknesses.

Favorite Trail:   Sunrise

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   I have owned 9 other Marzocchi's and three other Rock Shox. I have never had this much of an issue.

Bike Setup:   07 Stinky, juicy 7's, bombshell wheels, Manitou swinger x6 shock, stylo cranks, slx and xt.

Submitted by egsavio a Weekend Warrior from Florianópolis, SC, Brazil

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, plushness, adjustability, look, progressive travel.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
A true Zocchi, strong, massive, plush and progressive. Ready for to go big. It's a bit more heavy than Totem, but, I'm not a xc guy.

Favorite Trail:   The tomorrow's one

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Totem, Domain, Manitou R7 Super, Super T, Monster T.

Bike Setup:   UMF Freddy

Submitted by nuculur a Weekend Warrior from Glastonbury, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, full as-advertised travel, stiff, great fork for the money (even if you pay for it), QR axle convenience

Weaknesses:    QR axle system could be stiffer - noticed a little flex in lowers. Not quite as stiff as Fox's forks or even old Manitous I've ridden.

Bottom Line:
Great fork, but let me tell you about Marzocchi customer service, specifically Mike. He's the man. If you were to see him on the street after a service call, you would feel compelled to buy him a beer. I just ordered a replacement axle, which are hard to find. Dude gave me the part number and encouraged me to _look around for a deal_ locally before ordering this expensive part. I did, with no luck, and when I called back he knocked 15% off the price. Like I said, he's the man. I've had similar no-nonsense customer-win service calls like this and it makes me wonder what's in the water at Marz USA. While they churn out good forks (with a bad batch every once and a while) they continue to impress on follow-through.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge 157 - Am. Fork, UT

Purchased At:   bro'

Similar Products Used:   Fox TALAS 36, Marzocchi 55 series, Manitou Sherman

Bike Setup:   Stinky w/ LX/XT components, RaceFace post, cockpit, etc.

Submitted by coil-n-oil a Downhiller from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2009

Strengths:    Did not suffer total structural failure. Marzocchi plushness. Warranty support was excellent.

Weaknesses:    Lowers will develop massive bushing play, possible oil leaks

Bottom Line:
Here's a warning to everyone out there: 2008 was not Marzocchi's only bad year! I picked up a 2009 66RC3 in July and it started out tight and smooth like Marzocchi used to be. Four resort riding days later (2 Northstar, 2 Whistler), it had the same massive bushing play that the 2008's suffered from. The fork continued to be ridable, but just got sloppier and sloppier as time went on. My buddy picked up a 2009 888 at the same time and his suffered a similar fate, except with the added bonus of oil leaking out of the top cap. The problem is definitely NOT a quality control issue like they said in 2008, but a design issue with the lowers. I talked to a 2008 66 rider at a trailhead and he said he was on his 4th set of lowers, with the last two being from 2009!!!

Marzocchi warranted the fork with no hassle, but all indications are that these forks have disposable lowers that will need to be replaced a couple times a season. Don't get burned like me. Be wary of any Marzocchi products made after the pinnacle year of 2007.

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   2007 66RC2X, 2008 Domain.

Bike Setup:   DH/FR

Marz 66 RC3 Ti, how do I add air to air assist side of fork

Anyone know how I can add air to the air assist side of the fork when the valve looks like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]835757[/ATTACH] Do I need a specific pump with an internal thread? I tried to remove the flat edge section but it felt like I was just going to round the soft brass. Any help appreci ... Read More »

Marz 66 rc3 ti why 2 preload options?

I have just put a 2011 marz 66 rc3 ti on my kona entourage. Can anyone explain to me why this fork has both spring preload as well as air preload? Do you only use the air if you can't put enough preload into the spring? Seems a little redundant to have both if you can't get enough preload in the sp ... Read More »

Marzocchi 66 RC3 Evo Ti standard spring

Thinking of getting a 2012 Marzocchi 66 RC3 Evo Ti. I weigh 155 lbs/70 kg RTR. Is the standard spring gonna be OK for my weight? Thx!Read More »

Couple quick Qs about '12 Marz 66 rc3 evo ti servicing

CROSSPOST: posted in DH forum first...sometimes i forget about this one... Bought a used, condition looks awesome in general. Seller claims 6 mos use on trails my questions are: - the damper oil is not dirty, but when I pump the damper a TON of bubbles appear. does that mean the oil is spe ... Read More »

Couple quick Qs about '12 Marz 66 rc3 evo ti (service related)

Bought a used, condition looks awesome in general. Seller claims 6 mos use on trails my questions are: - the damper oil is not dirty, but when I pump the damper a TON of bubbles appear. does that mean the oil is spent or is that supposed to happen? - Is there any way i can grease the wipe ... Read More »