Marzocchi 33 TST2 2009 Forks

• 32mm Stanchion Tubes
  • XC Race Aluminum Steerer

Submitted by blacktalon82 a Weekend Warrior from Newport News, VA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    Long travel for price, adjust ability, ride characteristics

Weaknesses:    weight, and no brake boss included...no not a normal brake boss, but a $45 special one that Marzochi makes to allow the fork to be "v-brake compatible"

Bottom Line:
I am 6'4" and 225lbs. I have found that bike forks are often made for 165lb guys who barely break 5'8"!!

This had made it hard to select components for my bike, because I tend to break things because of my size. I wasn't as concerned with the 5lb weight of the fork, but with it not bottoming out on every serious bump, and flexing beyond belief. This fork is spot on! I have taken a 5 foot drop and this fork gives nothing but stability and confidence. It is plush enough to absorb large roots on fast descents, and with 32mm it flexes very little under my aggressive load.

Others have complained about slow speed choppy sections not being plush enough...and to some degree that is true. I hit a few that jarred me a bit more than I would have liked, but that is only about 5% of a given trail so it is more than acceptable for a $200 fork. Other forks I have used bottom out constantly hitting even medium sized logs, roots, or drops...not this one! I have only hit the limit of travel on that big air 5 foot drop, and the rebound was spot on to recover and give me tons of stability. The compression, even at the the easiest setting offers a pretty strong amount of resistance to lighter riders, so be aware if you are a smaller framed guy. If you are a big guy like me, it is right in the comfort zone.

Now on the the not so good news...if you want to (or have to) use this for v-brakes, you are in for a treat. While it is tapped for brake bosses, those taps do not have the normal hole that the spring locates in to dial up tension. The needed boss has a special sleeve and was $45 on special order from my LBS. This is of course not mentioned anywhere, and knowing that I might not have bought the fork. Jenson to the rescue with a $16 option...but it still pissed me off that they would make such a terrible omission and expect the end user to fork out 25% of the forks cost on their special bracket to use any v-brake. Seriously!? Call that compatible?!

All in all...a good fork for the price, and I would recommend it to anyone over 200lbs that needs a bit more resistance to hitting the bottom on every drop. Would get 5 chilis if they included the proper bosses to allow v-brake installation. 5 on value though!

Favorite Trail:   Freedom Park

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, Manituo 100 Air Elite

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S96.10, all XT drivetrain, RaceFace stem/bars/seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, XTR Shifter/brake combo, XTR Cables/housings, XTR v-brakes, Cane Creek headset and this fork

Submitted by andynelms a Cross Country Rider from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2010

Strengths:    The fork is awesome! I was riding an 04 MX Comp and cannot believe the difference the 33 has made. The ford is able to suck up the small and larger stuff. It is great at going thru root areas. I am a bigger and aggressive rider and it works very good for me.

Bottom Line:
THe fork is much smoother than any other air fork that I have tried. It is a little heavy but I am more concerned with permformance. If you want a fork that will do what you ask of it and more then buy this fork!!

Favorite Trail:   Comite

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Kona Kikapu Deluxe. XT Deore mix. Thompson Seatport. WTB Weirwolfs

Submitted by oscarperez a Cross Country Rider from idaho

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    very little flex,reliable,takes small and big hits well,nice lockout/compression adjustment,32 mm burlyness

Weaknesses:    not as smooth as other forks I have owned on small stuff,not open bath?

Bottom Line:
I was not expecting too much from this fork at this price and have been pleasantly suprised with performance.I am sorry to see plush open bath forks become less prevalant, I suppose open bath is more expensive to manufacture.I also assume the cartridge in this fork is not top of the feeding chain? I hope to modify it at hippie tech for better performance.I think marz excels in regards to flex and compared to my old 30 mm forks or my 32 mm recon it is great.The left leg compression lock out can be manually adjusted to act as a crude anti dive setting or to prevent bobbing, other brands of forks feature this at a premium.would be nice if it had handlebar remote.I think overall the damping on this fork is very good.

Purchased At:   cbo

Similar Products Used:   marz marathon s,marz mx,rock shox recon 351 u turn,rockshox psylo,manitou nixon elite

Bike Setup:   hardtail Sette

Submitted by Wanga a Weekend Warrior from Deep River, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Drops and hits; very strong and durable.

Weaknesses:    Lacks plushness; does not react to small chop or high-speed well; the dampening cartridge is extremely temperature sensitive and may change in mid-ride as well as lock out in temps under 25 F.

Bottom Line:
The shock works for the big stuff, but not a fully functioning fork, especially for the money and the traditional reputation of Marzocchi. The company needs to reinvest engineering for the open bath design again. The cartridge is very limited.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bomber - 1998

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Trail/Marathon

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    on med or large hits it works good

Weaknesses:    first part of the travel it has stiction. will not react
to small bumps .it make it feel like you hoave on travel

Bottom Line:
I have had the fork for 2 months and put 280km on them i was hoping it would barke in. it has not . its frustrating
becouse on all other bumps it works great.

Purchased At:   bert and max cycle

Submitted by mike_d_1583 a Cross Country Rider from cincinnati, ohio

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very strong and confidence inspiring. Looks awesome. Not afraid to hit drops 3-4 feet with my hardtail. Makes you do crazy things.

Weaknesses:    none . . none . . none
none . none none . none
none none

Bottom Line:
Great fork for the money. As soon as I installed it, my bike felt completely new and ready to handle anything.What's crazy is this fork weighs less than my Manitou Six which was only 80mm. Has a steel steerer tube for extra strength. It is 100mm travel not 120mm, just to correct the other reviewer. 32mm stanchions are a nice touch. Would pick Marzocchi over Rock Shox any day.

Favorite Trail:   tower park

Purchased At:   High Intensity Bike

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six

Bike Setup:   08' Hardrock
Saint rear derailleur, Saint rear hub

Submitted by humpjumper a Weekend Warrior from haifa israel

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    stiff fork good preload good rebound and remote lockout really works .this fork is very nice the travel is really smooth and gives you great confidence on the trail. its also quiet cheep i paid 300 $ (1420 shekels) and this was one of the cheapest forks there . 120 mm travel.

Weaknesses:    the wight can be an issue its 2300 grams .but each and every one of them is marzocchi goodness .

Bottom Line:
I think i might have found the perfect forks for me . so far they have been everything i dreamed them to be later on i wiil post more reviews to let you know of the reliability .(just for refs i am 82 kg middle wight rider)

Favorite Trail:   anything with drops