Manitou Drake Super Air Absolute QR 2009 Forks

• Single, Hollow AI Crown
  • Disc Only - Max 210mm

Submitted by Steve Hield a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, NM USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    Same legs and casting as the Minute make it torsionally stiff and stable - solid on the downhill. This was the last year they made V-brake bosses so I didn't have to convert to disk yet. Plush ride, air preload actually works, Absolute platform/lockout and dampening. Very high value for the $$.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy for XC purposes, no adjustable travel makes it a little uncomfortable on really steep ascents, but only if you are a whiner.

Bottom Line:
I ride XC in our rugged mountains a lot and rode enough on this fork before the snow came on a variety of trails to make what I believe to be a fair assessment.
While I would like the adjustable travel/compression that you get from an air spring, for the money this is a great value. Overall the ride is plush and handling is very good for my XC purposes. I like the Absolute platform and its adjustability; it truly locks out for out of the saddle maneuvers. The air preload took several rides to get right, but once I found the right pressure for my weight (~10 lbs for me @165 lbs), it really works good. Also, the break-in period is around 20 rides, just like the manual says, so adjusting the air preload before then was kind of fruitless. After break-in the "stiction" goes away and the air preload soaks up the small bumps nicely before the coil engages. Cool design, actually.
I got the 100mm travel version, which changed the geometry of my bike just a little. Probably should have gotten the 80mm, but I adjusted the handlebar height to compensate for it on the ascent, so it's fine for climbing. 100mm is definitely nice and plush for downhill but the steering quickness might suffer just a little since the effective head tube angle is now different than Dean designed.
I immediately noticed the Drake is way more stable for downhill than anything I've previously used, probably due to the 32mm stanchions. I actually find myself riding over technical terrain that I used to get off and walk and I'm way more comfortable on high speed descents. I think that says a lot.
I'd say this fork is several steps up from an entry level XC fork but not an XC racing fork due to weight. It's not made for big drops or really heavy riders, but it will hold up for advanced riders who ride hard and are looking for a good value.
Hopefully it will be durable in the long run. Next time I'm getting the Minute Super, but for now I'm digging the Drake Super Air and the money I saved.

Favorite Trail:   Windsor from town to the towers

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   This fork replaced a Rocshox Psylo 85-115mm travel w/L.O., coil spring, (noodle of a shock in comparison to the Drake). I also have an older Rocshox Duke SL on my SS - stable and very reliable fork.

Bike Setup:   Dean Duke Ti soft tail, XT drive train, XT shifters, Mavic 717 rims with ceramic braking surfaces, Avid SD7 levers/V-brakes w/XTR ceramic specific pads (great braking and last forever), XT hubs, Easton carbon riser bar, Chris King head set, Ritchey Stem, WTB Pure-V saddle w/Ti rails, Crank Bros eggbeater SL pedals. Bike weighs in at around 25 lbs.

Submitted by Billjc a Weekend Warrior from bridgnorth, shropshire, england

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    fairly light, great on pretty much all terrain. good for light riders. can take big hits and not bottom out, but also fairly responsive on smaller terrain

Weaknesses:    difficult to get the right air pressure, not good for the heavier rider.

Bottom Line:
all round good fork for light riders, can do most things that are thrown at it.
favours the lighter rider. but still worth buying it.

Favorite Trail:   local trails