Magura Menja 2009 Forks

Air spring fork featuring the unique Double Arch Design (DAD) offering maximum stiffness. 100mm standard hubs and International Standard 6" disc mounts. Cool “red sock” design.

Submitted by adrians a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, not the brake bob I expected. Did I say Stiff?

Weaknesses:    None so far--maybe weight--but 3.8 lbs isnt bad

Bottom Line:
Used the Magura Louise brakes first and was pretty happy with the product so decided to give the forks a try. Only used them for about a month so far, but I liked them from the getgo. Very stiff, esp. on corners--surprisingly tight ride. You need to dial in the air pressure to find the right "feel" but once you do its quite a plush ride-when working hard. Magura adds an air pressure chart on the leg of the fork so you dont have to memorize your settings- helpful and logical. Note: Magura says the seals will push oil out onto the stanchions the first few rides so-you aren't breaking a seal apparently its a one way transaction. wieghs in at about 3.8 lbs. so not for races but just fine for me as I love technical riding.

Favorite Trail:   any at-Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Hurricaine, UT

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Tora

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC, CK Headset, XT drivetrain, Magura Louise brakes, crank bros Si pedals

Submitted by Veldrijder a Cross Country Rider from Jay, ME

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth action

Weaknesses:    heavier than some other xc forks

Bottom Line:
Vert nice fork. Well made. Works like it is supposed to.

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou EFC, Minute; RockShox Mag 20,Judy,Reba; Marzocchi Super Fly

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, Sram X.0, Formula disc brakes, carbon cranks...etc.

Submitted by invader_zoom a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonable weight (3.8 for 130mm advertised), Good lock-out feature; easy to engage, Dampens well without feeling too stiff, mine has been trouble free.

Weaknesses:    Stanchions for the wheel mounts are very close to the fork tubes....good for stiffness but was not compatible with my fork mount yakama roof rack.

Bottom Line:
Solid fork for the price point. Use a rack that leaves the bike assembled. If you like the squishy poorly damped feel of a fox..this isn't the fork for you...if you want a well damped fork that doesn't bob incessantly and still soaks up the terrain and moderate jumping this is a good piece.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox F100, Rock Shox recon air

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek Fuel EX 7, Magura Menja AM130, Avid Elixr R, Bontrager select rims, Conti Mountain Kings

Submitted by Deepsound a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Size almost equals that of my broken Fox Float R. It's lightweight (1.7 kg).

Weaknesses:    The performance is average, not smooth (like a Marzo), not fast responsive (like a Fox), not suitable for AM or jumps. Rebound adjuster is located at the bottom of the fork.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Menja as a replacement for the Fox because I couldn't find a reasonably priced Float and reparing the old one was even more expensive. Unfortunately the axle to crown size of the Z1 (amazing fork!) was too big.

The Menja simply disapoints. Not because it's bad, but because it is not exciting in any way. It's not very responsive, even the old Judy performs better! seriously!
And it's not an All Mountain fork. Unlike the AM-sign on the fork, it's just XC (see also the manual).

Bottom line: don't buy this fork unless you realy need it for it's exact size (like me). You can find a lot better forks for less money.

Favorite Trail:   all mountain & freeride trails

Purchased At:   actionsports.de

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R 2005, Marzocchi Z1 SL, Rock Shox Judy XC air assist (2002?)

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Dee-Lux 2005, wheels Mavic CrossMax XL, brakes Shimano Saint (All Mountain/light Freeride use).

Help fix Magura Menja

It's a 2008 Magura Menja 130 and I got oil coming out on the left leg. 'pretty convinced that the seals needs to be replaced. The Magura website does not publish any service manuals .I had never taken this fork apart and hoping someone can chime in and lend a hand. Thanks in advance...Read More »

Magura Menja 100mm Fork in Surly 1x1

hi guys, for next summers Transalp I´d like to install a Magura Menja 100mm Fork on my 20" Surly 1x1. Do you think this will work out fine? I don´t know wether the frame really supports this fork... ThanksRead More »

Sid 80mm or Menja 85mm fork make a difference?

Need some valuable info on Fork travel. I currently rebuild my 1998 GT Xizang. It is currently running a old Fox 80mm Vanilla fork. From what I know, 80mm (3inches) is the max I should go in terms of front fork travel to keep my race geometry in with the bike personality. I see a good deal on a 2008 ... Read More »

Magura Menja Service?

I've never even seen a Menja, but they sound promising. Who has any experience working on them? Are they easy for the end user to keep up?Read More »

Magura Menja..how good is it?

I'm looking at a couple of different fork options right now. I'm a clyde who does aggressive XC. I have been considering the fox float 32 rlc, and I just started looking at the Magura Menja. Both are air sprung, which is the better fork. I weigh in at 235.Read More »