Fox Racing Shox 32 Talas RLC 2009 Forks

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

• 100-120-140 mm of travel
  • Ergonomic lockout lever
  • Post style disc brake mounts
  • Integrated disc brake cable guide
  • Low speed compression adjustment(RLC)

Submitted by Greg01 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, NC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    Plush and light. Resists Torques at high speeds. Fully adjustable. Works well with anything you throw at it from the big bad root sections to jumps/drops. Blowout adjustment allows for the PERFECT XC fork.

Weaknesses:    In extreme technical/slow speed sections, the fork may flex a tiny bit

Bottom Line:
The Perfect XC/AM fork.

Purchased At:   J&L Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares

Bike Setup:   BMC Trailfox 01 ('09), Talas 32 RLC, DT Swiss SSD 190L shock. x.9 derailleurs/drivetrain, x.0 shifters, Formula Oro Brakes

Submitted by hiperion a Cross Country Rider from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustability, reliability, medium and big hit absorption, tracks well

Weaknesses:    small hit compliance, a little flexy

Bottom Line:
The best part about this fork is its adjustability. It is easy to switch travel without stopping, which is helpful on long and/or steep climbs. Have been riding it for two years now and haven't had a single problem with it. Soaks up medium and big hits nicely if set up correctly, BUT it more than makes up for its virtues in terms of small hit compliance. Even the tiniest of break bumps will leave your hands bruised and your fingers battered. Have ridden it in Les Deux Alpes and had to take a day of after three days of downhill riding because I couldn't even lift a six-pack of small beers anymore. The fork doesn't get any plusher even with ridiculously low air pressure and lightning fast rebound. It also flexes too much when ripping through rough terrain at speed or pushing the bike into corners (mine has a 9mm axle, the 15QR is probably considerably stiffer). All in all it is a decent fork but to be worth the money it should be considerably plusher (don't know how much the kashima coat on the new models helps though). I would recommend getting the plusher Float if you are not dead set on adjustable travel (it is not worth the battering you receive from small bumps) or looking at RockShox's U-turn models if you are.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   32 Fox Float, 36 Fox Van, Marzocchi 55, Rockshox Domain

Bike Setup:   2009 Commencal Meta 55.1 with standard setup except for a shorter stem (9mm, 8 degree angle), tougher rims and Shimano SLX crankset.

Submitted by ironman316 a Cross Country Rider from Murfreesboro Tennessee

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Strengths:    Adjustability for every riding area I have ridden. Light weight and predictable action whether over sharp rocks at slow speeds or hitting large roots at speed. Rode at speed on fast down hill and this fork saved me several times from going over the bars despite my incorrect riding posture.

Weaknesses:    None so far and worth the price.

Bottom Line:
LOVE THIS FORK but had to budget before making this purchase. Any one looking for a high quality and very user friendly fork for all cross country single track uses should buy this fork. I rode and raced Motocross bikes for 32 years and wanted to transistion to a great Mountain bike setup, and the Fox Talas RLC for me is the best investment.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4, Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   MOAB Murfreesboro, T

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Recon

Bike Setup:   2008 Steppenwolf Taiga FS. Fox Talas RLC fork is only major upgrade to the bike other than Mavic Cross line wheels front and rear also Nevegal front tire, since I can go faster with this fork needed the extra grip of the 2.35. I am 240 lbs and have ridden in the 100, 120 and 140 settings. Prefer the 140 setting now in all types of riding.

Submitted by bitflogger a Weekend Warrior from Middleton, WI

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    The Leatherman tool or Swiss Army knife of forks. It lets me handle the big stuff, tight and twisties as well as climb. It also lets me have an AM-type bike that can keep up with the XC riders. I find the instant travel adjust to be far superior to the wind up and down types. Lockout blow off and low speed compression adjustments allow you to get settings that complement shock platform.

Weaknesses:    VERY good, but still not the total comfy plush of a coil or air and coil Bomber. The jack of all trades aspect does require more adjustments.

Bottom Line:
This is the best do it all fork if you value the instant adjust feature over screw type, want weight that allows you to keep up with the cross country crowd and want a fork that will have platform and damping like RP2 or RP23. Note: The 15 mm. White Industries hubs will get you a stiffer front end and still give you compatibility with legacy wheels. It is not cheap but get the 5 for value rating because none of the best forks are cheap and because the versatility lets you have the do it all bike.

Favorite Trail:   BMSP

Similar Products Used:   Bombers, Pikes.

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert w/RP23.

Replacing Fox Damper (Fox 32 Talas RLC)

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace damper cartridges for Fox forks, specifically a Fox 32 Talas RLC? I kinda messed mine up so I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. I read that I could put a newer FIT cartridge into my older (2009) open bath damper fork. Supposedly that wou ... Read More »

Fox Talas RLC Fit 32 110/140mm Swapping Lowers from 150mm counterpart?

Hi, I have a 2011 Fox Talas RLC Fit (32) with 110/140mm travel and 9mm dropouts. The dropouts are giving me issues as they move around too much under climbing and braking (200mm Formula R1's etc). So I'd like to go to the 15mm thou-bolt lowers. I am wondering if I can buy a 2011 150mm TALAS RL wi ... Read More »

Help! Fox fork 32 talas FIT RLC 2012

Hi guys, I am in riding in southern Spain and have another 6 days of riding,but I have developed the tell tale " loose headset feeling" as I am riding which I think is my bushings. The play is very noticeable while riding and I can feel the play even with my hands. The shops in the area I am biking, ... Read More »

Fox Talas 32 140-110 FIT RLC Question

I just got this fork, but it was advertised as a 150-120mm. Can this fork be converted to 150mm travel? I don't know the model year. Couldn't find this info anywhere. Thanks for any help.Read More »

Need TALAS assembly repaired or replaced on an 08' 32 RLC

Bought the fork for $75 in order to get a frame ready for sale, so I am looking for the absolute CHEAPEST possible option. Anyone know Fox's price structure for repair work? I can order the parts, but just curious for some advice. I think PUSH doesn't offer a la carte repairs for JUST the TALAS asse ... Read More »