Fox Racing Shox 32 Float R 2009 Forks

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

The air-sprung 32 Float fork is synonymous with high-performance. Float is the perfect fork for trail riders looking for the most adjustable, sophisticated damping you will find in a 5.5 inch fork. Fox improved the damping on the already incredibly smooth Float. And while it’s a featherweight, the chassis design boosts the legendary Fox steering precision and stiffness to weight ratio to another level.

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to set-up, rides great and does not loose air. It is light and 15mm thru axle is stiff and solid

Weaknesses:    Annual maintenance I guess, but not really an issue

Bottom Line:
I bought this 2010 fork used on Craigslist and it has exceeded my expectations. It is light, the fork is stiff in the 15mm thru axle version, it holds air great. Since there are little if any adjustments I just set- it and forget it. It rides consistently great and looses little if any air. I do annual maintenance but don't have to pump it up between oil & seal changes. You could spend more but why?

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RL 130mm, Fox Float R 120mm 2008, Manitou Minute 100mm 2, Manitou Minute 3 100mm to 130mm

Bike Setup:   Jamis 650b2 2010 with this 2010 Fox float R w/ 15mm thru axle

Submitted by Dirtvet a Weekend Warrior from Spring, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    Simple - just air it right and get the rebound as close as possible.

Weaknesses:    1. Difficult to get full travel with the recommended sag. Ramps up too quickly. When set to get full travel use, it wallows excessively. 2. Initially came with unlubricated seals, and this resulted in a noisy fork until it was properly serviced. 3. Noticable flex, but not unusually so for a XC/trail fork. 4. Alarming amount of gunk (bearing wear) was present with the changing of fluids - probably because the seals were not properly lubed at the factory.

Bottom Line:
A decent, relatively lightweight fork with a 15mm axle. If offered at a discounted price ($400), its OK. No compression or travel adjustment features, but then that probably makes it lighter and cheaper. Be sure to check the seals for proper Fox grease before you ride.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park "the triangle"

Purchased At:   RBikes

Similar Products Used:   Old (2005) Lefty max 140 carbon on a Cannondale Prophet. This performs better than the Fox - more rigid, smoother, quiet.

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite with XTR drivetrain, XT brakes, Thompson stem & seatpost, WTB Rocket SLT seat, 719 rims.

Submitted by rmillet a Weekend Warrior from LC

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Truly does "Float" through the trail when you find the right pressure (for me that's 105-110psi, I weigh 205lbs). Feels seamless with my RC23 rear @ 150psi, fluid travel. They have a soft bottom (I have maxed out travel, but never feel it hit hard, these have "bottomless" feel).

Weaknesses:    With disc brakes, there is a LOT of lateral flex in this fork under braking, and noticeable flex you feel in use (but not unnerving, just a little wormy). I would NOT huck or jump these at my weight, maybe if I weighed 150 they'd be jumpable.

Bottom Line:
These forks feel great, despite noticeable flex. Set the sag to mfr suggestion, and they truly float, you won't feel 3" bumps in your hands at all. I can run them at 115-120 and they get fairly firm (too firm for my home trail that is littered with 2-3" roots). At slow technical speeds, the softness and flex would have you squirming around the trail. At 12mph+, these things are fantastic sailing through rooty sections.

Like the Fox Fork, my first venture into air. I will be looking for a thru-axle on my next fork for a bit less flex. Overall, great fork at speed, but not so good for heavier riders in slow tech sections.

Favorite Trail:   Packed Fast Trails

Purchased At:   Action Bikes - San A

Similar Products Used:   Psylo

Bike Setup:   2010 DB Sortie 3 with Sun Single track XT wheels.

Submitted by jtoreygomez a Weekend Warrior from San Ramon, CA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff. QR15 is very easy to remove/install. Very plush. Easy to setup. Super responsive.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get the last .25-.5 inch of travel to be used with proper setup. Cannot fit on some bike carriers.

Bottom Line:
Huge difference from previous fork. This fork is super stiff and has saved my butt on numerous occasions. Very easy to setup and worry free because there are not all the "bells and whistles". 15QR axle is stiff and is even easier to install than a standard quick release. After using this fork I have been able to look much further down the trail because I don't care what is in front of my tire.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Came stock on Giant

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute, Rock Shox Recon

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Trance X3

Submitted by Mart a Weekend Warrior from Somerset, UK.

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Very plush, very light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I got this fork, to replace a Rockshox revelation fork, and this is definetly a step up, in terms of quality and ride. The fork just soaks up small and large bumps with ease. It is very light and is quite stiff even with just a standard QR axle. It is also very simple, with no messing about with travel adjust, lockout, compression settings etc, just set the correct sag and dial in your prefered rebound. A great fork, will definetly stick with Fox forks from now on.

Favorite Trail:   Afan, Wales.

Purchased At:   S/H

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Revelation 08', Marzocchi All mountain 1 06', Marzocchi MX Pro.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Primo.

Submitted by meanbeaver a Weekend Warrior from Vernon, B.C.

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    plush, great traction on rough stuff, very good rebound damping, very light for 140mm travel fork, lockout (RL model), and yes....Stiff.

Weaknesses:    not much, maybe no compression damping knob but I just set my psi in the fork for what terrain I'm riding.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the '09 Fox float 32 RL.

My '09 Float is the 9mm qr version. I hear a lot of comments on how qr15 and 20mm through axles make the fork way stiffer.

I seriously doubt anyone can tell the difference between the stiffness of a qr and a qr15/20mm axle fork for the same model.
You would feel flex in the tires and then the rims before you would be able to sense any minute difference in flex from the qr at the hub.

The only reason one might want a larger axle is for safety assurance if you're hucking off big drops. The rumor of qr's coming out of the dropouts during hard braking is only true if you don't know how to set a qr correctly.

Favorite Trail:   Ellison

Purchased At:   OME

Similar Products Used:   rockshox, zoch's, manitou

Bike Setup:   '09 opus maadh 2
sram x9 drive train
Easton cockpit

Submitted by Dennis R a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas NV

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    From the very first ride, this fork was smooth and without any stiction. Set up was easy and the rebound adjust has noticeable differences. I run mine at the recommended setting and it is great. There is no flex what so ever. This is by far the best fork I have ever had.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
I am a heavy rider (240 lbs)and this shock delivers. I ride mostly desert XC and an ocassional trip to Gooseberry Mesa. This fork needed no break in period. It is the smoothest fork I have ever owned.
When I went looking for a replacement to my Marzocchi Z1 Freeride SL I didn't even consider another Marzocchi. Ever sense they starting making shocks outside of Italy there products have been lacking quality. I looked at both Rock Shock and Fox. Fox cost a bit more but to date it has been worth it.

I set the shock up for 20% sag and haven't changed a thing. It doesn't matter if it is a square hit or even a staircase full of them. Response is quick and stiff. No tracking problems. Installed easy. I will buy another Fox product based on this experience.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Rim AZ

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1 Freeride 130 SL Bomber, Marzocchi Marathon 120 SL and a Marzocchi MX Pro

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer, Push Fox Rear Shock,SRAM X9, Race Face, Ringle/Sun wheels and Panaracer Cinder

Submitted by K0NARIDER a Weekend Warrior from Draperville

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've ridden coil shocks and forks for 10 years because they were supposed to be the smoothest , now I will never go back . I have Fox air front and back and love the feel and preformance . Much easier to adjust with air pressure then changing coil springs and dialing in preload . No complaints about the 15mm QR and I'm moving down to that from a 20mm axle .