Fox Racing Shox 32 F120 RLC 2009 Forks

• Externally adjustable lockout force(RLC)
  • Low speed compressions adjustment(RLC)
  • Lever actuated lockout(RL)
  • Remote actuated lockout(RL Remote)

Submitted by muscogeemasher a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Good ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Durability.

Bottom Line:
I am a 205 pound cross-country rider/racer from Georgia. So, my fork doesn’t get abused out in Colorado on super rocky, steep descents. It gets beat on little in NC a few times of year, but otherwise gets relatively light duty. I have always ridden Fox forks and never really thought about riding anything else. However, I am now done with Fox and never going back.

I have had an F120 for three years. During those three years the crown/stanchion junctions have started to loosen and creak THREE times, and I had a dust wiper seal fail after three months. The ride of the fork is fantastic, but I just can’t tolerate the irritation, missed rides/races, and expense of this thing constantly needing to have the uppers replaced and otherwise be serviced.

To Fox’s credit, they warrantied it the first two times (with a quick turnaround), but refused to warranty it this time because non-stock dust wipers had been installed. First, the dust wipers have absolutely nothing to do with the shoddy crown junctions. Second, the non-stock dust wipers were installed because the Fox ones were problematic.

Just wanted to pass along my experience. I have an RP23 and love it. I’ll keep riding it as long as I can, and I would highly recommend it. However, I would tell people, especially larger riders, to be very, very wary of Fox forks. I have had a number of very knowledgeable individuals (including persons employed by a certain shock service company in Colorado) tell me that Rockshox makes a superior product that is much more durable and reliable.

Finally, for people like me with two 15mm wheelsets who don’t want to go back to 9mm, you can wait until 2012 when the Reba’s are coming out in 15mm or you can have Push step down a Revelation to 120mm, and once it’s Pushed it will ride like a cross-country race fork if that’s what you ask them for (and the weight penalty will be negligible).

Similar Products Used:   Just switched to Rockshox.

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Solid construction, light weight, quality and performance you'd expect from a Fox! Absolutely no leaks at all, not once!

Weaknesses:    Even after a year, I am still trying to get get the Low Speed Compression dialed in exactly right.

Bottom Line:
I got a deal on the OEM model (black)If you want black and want to save a few bucks, look for the OEM model, its the same thing. Otherwise, the only available aftermarket color is White.

So far I have had no problems with the shock. I do maintain it well and keep the seals and stantions clean. I did have a hick-cup recently where the very initial part of the travel or sag was freely moving up and down. I removed the +(+)air, added a few drops of lube on the stantions, pulled it through the travel a couple times and added the air back in and it went away. It actually felt more crisp afterwards.

Other than that it has been flawless. It tracks well, i have to also commend maxxis ignitors for contributing quite a bit, but it works great!

I am still trying to get the small bump compliance dialed in perfectly, I am getting closer, but still not there 100%. I do think it is partly me, since when I race, I have a different setting than when I trail ride. I will admit though, I do spend more time riding than trying to dial it in...I bought it for that purpose anyways, and it performs very well regardless of what setup i am using. One thing that I have noticed, but not really concerned with...I have yet to use even 3/4's of the 120mm. If i adjust the (+/-) accordingly to get more travel, I experience more brake dive which I don't want. I am not bothered by this, since it keeps the geometry constant, and I haven't actually dropped off anything big (all XC/Singletrack), so atleast I know I won't be short on travel when I do. I have used in on several different trails in the US (cleburn SP,tx; Womble trail,Ark;Dubuque,IA;Marquette, Mi) and have not had any problems on any other terrain. It has performed every where I have rode. It doesn't seem to have any weaknesses.

Also one thing you may consider about Fox F-Series forks is that Push can upgrade from an R/RL to RLC, and I believe the Low speed compression works better once the fork has been "Pushed". So even if you can save big on a lower model, and send it away to Push, you will end up with a better than brand new fork. I have not had this one sent away yet, I haven't needed to, but I have rode another Blur Classic with one "Pushed" and the small bump compliance seemed to be a bit more intuitive. So when this fork is in need of new seals and service I will not hesitate to do that.

Favorite Trail:   Technical single track

Purchased At:   OEM New from LBS off

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba SL/Race 07, and pre 07

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Classic
ZTR 355 w/ American Classic hubs/ supercomp spokes
Stylo 3.3 Team (going to Noir w/ blackspire 2x9)
X9 drivechain w/ 990 cassette/chain(xstep)
Easton Monkeylite XC bars/RF deus HS/stem
Thompson Elite w/ F:izik Gobi XM cush
BB7 brakes

Submitted by malous a Cross Country Rider from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    - eliminates all bumps, hands don't hurt and I can fully concentrate on the ride
- Adjusting works fantastically
- When going down 1300m in altitude in Dolomiti Italy, the fork worked way better than my previous Marzocchi 55 despite the lower travel
- Based on what all my frieds who have this fork say, it lasts forever, hope this will work out for me the same way
- Prevented me from falling down a couple of times during long steep descents

Weaknesses:    it comes only in white

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny (Czech Crown) spent.

Favorite Trail:   Dolomiti, Italy

Purchased At:   kolokolo.cz

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 55

Bike Setup:   Fox, SLX, Race face components

Submitted by BigJohn13 a Cross Country Rider from Edgewood, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Fox quality and durability

Weaknesses:    Length for my 29er

Bottom Line:
This shock seems to perform better than my previous manitou black with a variety of settings from plush to lock-out. I am a bigger rider @ 225 lbs and it is firm enough to support the front end of the bike yet soft enough to ease the hammering on my body. Some custom frame builders are using this shock in their builds, whichj is always a good sign. I think this shock is a great system for both small and large riders. So far, so good and it has performed very well in a variety of cross county scenarios here in New Mexico.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills trail