Fox Racing Shox 32 F100 RLC 2009 Forks

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

• Ergonomic locket lever(RLC)
  • Post style disc brake mount
  • Integrated disc brake cable guides
  • Externally adjustable lockout force(RLC)
  • Low speed compressions adjustments(RLC)

Submitted by muscogeemasher a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Durability.

Bottom Line:
I am a 205 pound cross-country rider/racer from Georgia. So, my fork doesn’t get abused out in Colorado on super rocky, steep descents. It gets beat on little in NC a few times of year, but otherwise gets relatively light duty. I have always ridden Fox forks and never really thought about riding anything else. However, I am now done with Fox and never going back.

I have had an F120 for three years. During those three years the crown/stanchion junctions have started to loosen and creak THREE times, and I had a dust wiper seal fail after three months. The ride of the fork is fantastic, but I just can’t tolerate the irritation, missed rides/races, and expense of this thing constantly needing to have the uppers replaced and otherwise be serviced.

To Fox’s credit, they warrantied it the first two times (with a quick turnaround), but refused to warranty it this time because non-stock dust wipers had been installed. First, the dust wipers have absolutely nothing to do with the shoddy crown junctions. Second, the non-stock dust wipers were installed because the Fox ones were problematic.

Just wanted to pass along my experience. I have an RP23 and love it. I’ll keep riding it as long as I can, and I would highly recommend it. However, I would tell people, especially larger riders, to be very, very wary of Fox forks. I have had a number of very knowledgeable individuals (including persons employed by a certain shock service company in Colorado) tell me that Rockshox makes a superior product that is much more durable and reliable.

Finally, for people like me with two 15mm wheelsets who don’t want to go back to 9mm, you can wait until 2012 when the Reba’s are coming out in 15mm or you can have Push step down a Revelation to 120mm, and once it’s Pushed it will ride like a cross-country race fork if that’s what you ask them for.

Submitted by egebhardt a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    This 2009 F100 RLC is barely light enough for me at 1554g with 8.6" steerer.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter if it didn't need so much fork fluid.
20ml in air leg. 155ml in dampener leg. 5ml in air chamber.

Bottom Line:
This fork moves nicely and is fairly easy to maintain.
I use 5w-30 Mobil1 for the fork oil and 75wt Gear Oil for the air chamber. It works the same as with Fox fluids. Motor oil is so much cheaper so I change fluids more often. This thing could last forever since I pamper my stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Used on CraigsList.o

Similar Products Used:   2006 Rock Shox Reba Team

Bike Setup:   2007 Epic Marathon. XTR and XO and WCS Stuff.

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, not cheap.

Weaknesses:    As in most cases any fork requires maintenance. Wipe off stanchions after ride, a little lube and you're good to go.

Bottom Line:
This a review for a 2009 fork not a 2007 reviewed in 2009...

Great fork...

Similar Products Used:   Too many to name...

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain hardtail

Submitted by risinglespeed a Cross Country Rider from Charlestown, Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2009

Strengths:    lock out

Weaknesses:    Leaks Oil now my stantion are ruined ( I am told $350 to rebuild)

Bottom Line:
This fork is not worth the time and money. The seals leak oil every day and started shortly after warranty ran out (now my fork stantions our scored). I do not know one friend that has a fox fork that does not leak. Needing to replace the oil and change the seals every 20 hours is way to much maintenance. I ride approx 10 hrs a week and would have to service this fork every 2 weeks according to their manual. Also having to hang the bike up side down to lubricate the fork while not in use is not very convenient and is creating a problem with my hydraulic brakes. The opportunity is for a company to make a 3.5lb fork that does not leak and needs relatively no maintenance (once a year would be acceptable) and has all the same features as the RLC. For $800 bucks I expect a lot more! My shocks on my Ford Ranger truck work better, cost less, do not leak and need no maintenance. I hope another fork making company is reading this review.

Favorite Trail:   Sammy C's

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Mag 21 (never leaked)

Bike Setup:   Titus Eleven Single Speed

Submitted by crowbar12 a Cross Country Rider from Dania Beach, Florida USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    Tune-ability, stiff, light, clean looks

Weaknesses:    Nothing noted

Bottom Line:
What can I say other than another great fork from our MTB friends at Fox. This is the one that the other companies compare themselves to...and for good reason. This is a very tunable, light weight, XC racing shock that is smooth and reliable...all desirable features when spending over $500 bills on a fork! This is a good choice for the racer or XC weekend warrior who commonly takes the trail to the limit of the 100mm range over a wide variety of conditions, I have hit some very forceful drops with this fork and so far no problems. Look forward to comparing to the 2010 Rock Shox XX!!

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   Alex's Pro Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Many other Fox and Rock Shox products

Bike Setup:   2009 Pivot Mach 4, CB Cobalt wheels, Fox RP-23, Carbon bars and post, Sram XO trive train.

Submitted by thesaints949 a Racer from Sudbury

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Strengths:    Sitff, very light, very repsonsivr

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have tried pretty much every race fork except the DT Swiss, Magura and White Bros. Fox is the best of the best. Both rear shoks and forks are tried tested and true--you can pound the snot out of them, and they never let you down. Don't know what else to say but they are the best XC race fork. When you buy a Fox fork--you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   The penthouse

Similar Products Used:   Manitou (R7,skareb, mars super, black super) Rock shox (SID team, race) Marzocchi (bomber).

Bike Setup:   Norco phaze II, carbon crank,xt derrailleurs elixer brakes, crossmax wheels, Easton carbon stem,post and bar), small block 8 wheels

Submitted by Soulboy a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight (1422g). Easy set-up (steerer easy to cut with pipe-cutter, supplied and on-line documentation very good). Neat clip for hose. Works beautifully. Looks great, esp. in white!

Weaknesses:    None apparent as yet. Some way from the inexpensive end of the price scale!

Bottom Line:
Although longer time needed for more complete assessment, the '10 FIT model has transformed my Epic. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   Nant yr Arian

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   '07 Reba Team (+300g and never found a set-up I was happy with). '04 F100X (didn't like platform)

Bike Setup:   '07 Epic Carbon. XTR. SRAM PC991. Thomson Elite post/X4 stem. Easton Monkeylite XC. Ergons. WTB Rocket V. Crank Bros SL. Hope XC3 & Tech X-2s. Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2

Submitted by jhowa1 a Cross Country Rider from Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to tune suspension, keeps inflation, tracks superbly, pumps up easily, detailed product information from Fox. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a plush fork that has a wide range of adjustments; it took me about three rides to dial it in after reading the documentation supplied on the DVD. Now when I'm riding I feel like I'm one with the bike.

I can't come up with a single improvement suggestion. This is an awesome fok.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Waldo, Lane County Oregon