RockShox Recon Race 2008 Forks

• Spring: Air
  • Steerer Tube: 1-1/8" Threadless

Submitted by Camby a Weekend Warrior from Langhorne PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    Ride quality, Adjustability

Weaknesses:    Some flex

Bottom Line:
If you're not gonna spend $500+ on a Fox, then this is the upgrade you need. I've been riding this fork for a year and I haven't added air since it was installed. All adjustment work every time. The RST that came on the bike made me not want to ride unless the trail was perfectly smooth. The dual air Reba feels exactly the same. Good fork with a little flex. Buy it. Buy it.
PS Elitecycling.com was great!

Favorite Trail:   Washington Crossing NJ

Purchased At:   Elitecycling.com

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila, Dart 1, Dart 3, Reba SL, Fox 32 F120RL

Bike Setup:   08' Diamondback Response Comp (don't judge me)

Submitted by preludedriven a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    32mm Aluminum Stanchions, Lightweight, Great looks (lucky if u get the disc-only version) Motion Control

Weaknesses:    I got the one w/the ugly V-Brake posts :(

Bottom Line:
This fork is worlds better than the fork it replaced (RockShox Dart 1). Tons of adjustability, lightweight, good performer. Going from coil to air was great for me since I was able to dial in the pressure, and really fine-tune the sag %

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Dart1

Bike Setup:   2007 Iron Horse Maverick FS, 2008 RockShox Recon Race

Submitted by Ben Schafer a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    The whole fork is extremely durable, and is extremely smooth with a wide range of compression and rebound adjusting

Weaknesses:    looks ugly with the boss brakes when using disks..., wish travel was possibly more, maybe 130mm

Bottom Line:
i would for sure recomend this fork to anyone.

NOTE: THE REASON IT WAS FREE WAS BECAUSE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY AND ROCKSHOCKS SENT ME A NEW ONE.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farm

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles

Similar Products Used:   '07 Rockshocks Tora 318 Solo-air, '04 RST

Bike Setup:   '07 Trek 6700, WTB VelociRaptor tires, '08 Rockshocks Recon Race

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, ohio

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Great plush feel

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good fork for the weekend warrior, does everything i need it to do. Good buy if under 500.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox tora 318, dart 2

Bike Setup:   Mongoose canaan elite

Submitted by Jun_T a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    None. Didn't get the chance to thoroughly test the product since it got busted 2 months after I bought the Giant Trance 2 it came with and only rode it a couple of times on very moderate trails.

Weaknesses:    The darn thing stopped functioning as in it didn't travel at all. Brought it back to the dealer where I got the Giant Trance 2 and the fork was sent to another shop for servicing. Came back after a week and got it installed. Didn't get the chance to test it because the fork's lockout is not working which clearly shows it is still not functioning properly so I don't wanna put my well-being at risk and ride a faulty fork. Dealer said it has to be sent back for servicing and I refused and demanded for a replacement. Dealer said replacement is only done after several servicing is done only when the product cannot be fixed anymore. What kind of after sales service is that?! So right now I'm still stuck with a crappy busted Rockshox Recon Fork waiting for the dealer and supplier decide on what can perhaps give me a new one.

Bottom Line:
I have lost all confidence in Rockshox. Crappy fork that broke down after a couple of rides and an even crappier customer/after sales service. I expected better from this company. Obviously I expected too much because I still haven't gotten an action or even a response from them and now I'm left with a bike I can't even ride. Way to go Rockshox!

Favorite Trail:   Maarat

Purchased At:   Bike Station

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my 1st mid range fork. Came with my Trance 2.

Bike Setup:   08 Trance 2, Shimano LX Groupset, Fox Float R Rear Shock, Crappy Rockshox Recon Fork

Submitted by gtluke a Weekend Warrior from orange, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    light, rides GREAT, lockout, comes with required air pump

Weaknesses:    comes with bosses for v-brakes, kinda looks funny with disc brakes but i'm also staring at it.

Bottom Line:
i blew out my tora 302 basically right away doing light riding. took it back to the bike store where i bought the bike, they called rockshocks and had a replacement sent right away. this is what showed up, i guess they were out of 302's so i got a free upgrade under warranty. awesome.
it rides soooo much nicer and its noticeably lighter.
i'm a novice rider and even i can tell how much an improvement this shock is over my tora 302

Purchased At:   rockshocks