RockShox Lyrik 2-Step 2008 Forks

• Crown: Forged, hollow, 6061 T-6 aluminium
  • Steerer Tube: Butted Aluminium

Submitted by panspermian man a Weekend Warrior from Warrington, UK

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Travel adjust for climbing and bomb proof

Weaknesses:    Requires exact oil levels

Bottom Line:
Yes i developed creep in the travel adjust, purely due to oil level, service solved it imediately. You do need to keep an eye on oil levels for air spring, dampning and travel adjust to function correctly. easy to service yourself, but requires three differnt oil weights, 2.5, 5.0 and 7.5wt.

Seals and bushes have behaved perfectly for 18+ months not lost 1 psi in all that time, bushes still have no play and these forks have been hammered.

The ride is confidence inspiring really took my riding to a different level and got me out of sh*% a few times. I always know my front end is there.

requires some time to get the rebound dampning just right for planted cornering traction, but perfect out of the box for drops and hits.

Favorite Trail:   Lee Quarry

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Mazzocchi Bombers

Bike Setup:   GT sanction 1.0, Fox DHX

Submitted by Chesny a Cross Country Rider from Vail, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    Full Adjustability.
2 year warranty (which unfortuantely has just passed for me)

Weaknesses:    2 step feature needed warranty work but was replaced with 2009 internal parts.

Bottom Line:
This fork is awesome especially with the new 2009 internal parts. It is fully adjustable to suit any riding style. The shift on the fly travel adjustment is easy and after a while you don't even have to look down to do it. It takes big hits and give zero chatter when you are really barreling down some technical terrain. The 20mm thru axle give you confidence that the front end will not buckle (which has happened to me in the past ending in an endo and 17 stitches).

Alot of people are dogging this fork but I love it and Rock Shox stood behind it and fully rebuilt mine when the 2-step feature went out. While the work was being done Wheat Ridge Cyclery gave me a Specialized Enduro to ride for a solid month. Bottom line forks break if you ride hard. I've broken one other fork and have had to have others overhauled. I'm 185lbs naked and do DH gondola rides on mine and it takes the punishment. Before I had to have it overhauled I was DHing and at the bottom I noticed that I forgot to reset the travel to 160 from 115 which is something I will admit to doing when I first got the bike on a couple of occasions. So it is entirely possible that some of the failures of this fork are from user error. Also the external casing on mine has a descent size dent in it so this thing takes punishment.

If you want a fork that will get you up the hill with ease AND down the hill with speed this is a great fork. The newer ones have better reviews so you probably do not want to buy this one used unless it's already been overhauled.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Moab UT

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Reba 100mm, Fox Float 140mm

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Remedy (fork came with bike)

Submitted by brechtp a Cross Country Rider from Boston MA USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Strengths:    nice smooth travel

Weaknesses:    weak piece of crap

Bottom Line:
LBS says that RockShox won't back it up. Supposed to be "all mountain" thing blew up after 1/2 a season JUNK, don't buy it

Favorite Trail:   most technical

Similar Products Used:   any other fork

Bike Setup:   santa cruz chameleon, single speed, white, NICE!

Submitted by Horacek a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great. Light for the travel and a great concept without the fiddle of manually screwing up and down the Uturn for travel adjust

Weaknesses:    Failings in the 2step and other issues.

Bottom Line:
I've switched to a Lyrik Uturn system. With hindsight the 115 to 160 travel is a great idea however there is too much of a difference between the two lengths. Maybe 140 to 160 or 130 to 150 in my opinion. Anyway, the fork failing is maybe a blessing so I have my 'options' on fork travel now..

Favorite Trail:   Peaks or Lakes

Purchased At:   UK shop

Similar Products Used:   Sadly everything!

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur4x, Saint, XTR, Chris King etc.

Submitted by mtwitch a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Great Fork! (when it's working) Loved the on-the-fly travel adjust, never bottomed out, very plush. Like the big axle, too.

Weaknesses:    After a year, the lockout wouldn't, the travel adjust wouldn't and the dampening went away. Off to SRAM, came back with the lockout fixed, but noting else. LBS did the fix and it was fine for a year, then.. travel adjust and dampening went away. The lockout I can live with (why have this on a 6" fork anyway?), but I need my dampening, and I love the travel adjust.

Bottom Line:
This last time, SRAM gave Rex (The Bike Shop) a choice of getting the parts or a new fork. Because this wasn't the first time, he got me the new fork (warranty). Just got the bike back and haven't ridden it yet (Spring rainstorm this weekend). My prior fork was one of the early ones, so I'm curious to see how this one works. This has been my favorite fork of all, except for when it wasn't. For the riding I do (all Mountain, and I'm a big guy, no jumping/big drops)this fork works well. Haven't tried a similar Fox for any time, though. Also, the turn around time was about a week this time and the first time it was a bit longer, so I'm happy there. Finally, the Remedy is the Bike I've been looking for all these years. Great Bike!

Favorite Trail:   Escalator up/Terminator down

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Started with a Mag 25, later modified with an England kit (big difference!). Had a Pro-Flex with the Girvan fork, put a Judy on it after a while. Had a Psylo on my Liquid.

Bike Setup:   Stock Remedy 8. Eggbeater pedals

Submitted by jgusta a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Strengths:    Tuneability, detents, Hi/Lo speed compression adjustments on top of fork. Nice suspension feel and performance even though it is air. Not too linear, not too progressive with smooth dampening throughout the travel with good bottom out control

Weaknesses:    Travel adjust creeping (use to easily compress down to 115mm, now it only compresses down to about 135mm making the steep climbs on a 35+ bike even a bit harder). History of Mission Control failures.

Bottom Line:
So far so good with this fork with exception of the "creep up" with the travel adjust. Was a little skeptical buying this fork initially due to previous reliability issues, but got such a good deal at LBS with new bike purchase and they gave me a back-up 09' Mission Control dampener just in case and I also wanted a fork with "on-the-fly" travel adjust and air to match the rear so I got it. I would have maybe gotten the 2010 36 Fox Talas instead for the 60mm of travel reduction for the long, steep climbs though.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 55 ETA, Z1 Light ETA, RS Pike coil U-turn, Fox Float.

Bike Setup:   6" Banshee Rune

Submitted by bikr_guy930 a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great fork. Reliable, lots of adjustments, plush for a long travel air fork, very versatile.

Weaknesses:    People are impatient and quick to judge.

Bottom Line:
Rock shocks had issues with the first production run of these forks. They changed their oil supplier and later found out the new oil had a detergent in it that reacted with the rubber in their o-rings. So, the forks leaked oil and had damping and air spring issues. Sram is always quick to fix the problem, I received a brand new fork and have many thousands of miles on it with no leakage of the air or oil. I would recommend a less complex fork if you are looking for absolute reliability. Murphy's law. Get the coil spring IS damping version and it will never break. Remember, this fork has a hydraulic travel adjust(1/4 turn knob Fox!), adjustable blow-off lockout, high and low speed compression and low speed rebound adjustments. All external!!!! Almost too much going on. Highly recommended fork if you can get past the negative reviewers that think that it is the end of the world if a worldwide company that mass produces products has a small flaw on the initial production run of a new product. It would be a different bag if sram was not so good about fixing the forks.

Similar Products Used:   36's, 66's, 55's, pikes, rebas, 32's, shermans, minutes, etc.

Bike Setup:   Trek remedy. Yea, it is the fork that came on it.

Submitted by breznkar a Weekend Warrior from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Hmm nothing special.

Weaknesses:    In 8 month time 3X 2-step die and 1x mission control oil leak

Bottom Line:
This review is for RS Lyrik 2-step 2009.
Oh my god. This fork is horrible. In 8 months time forks has been repaired for four times. Bushing feel so sticky and need to lubricate it all the time. Rebound vary little time to time. I wish that I never buy bike with this fork.

Favorite Trail:   mountain trails

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1, Marzocchi 66R

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 8 2009

Submitted by cowens677 a Weekend Warrior from riverbank, ca

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    well everything works so far, but I am kind of scared to write this review after reading previous reviews. the travel adjustment down to 115mm is great to have on steep climbs, and 160mm of travel is great for steep drops. It feels plush and compared to the manitou fork I had before, it does not dive as much under hard breaking.

Weaknesses:    So far the fork has been solid, but I have only had it for a month.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a good fork so far. Knock on wood that is stays that way for me so I do not have to loose any riding time. I will do a follow up review in a few months after some wear and tear, so I can give the readers a true review of this fork. I will give it 5 chilis review for value because it is a ebay buy

Favorite Trail:   tower trail

Similar Products Used:   I have not had a 160mm fork before, but I have had 145mm manitou super intrinsic. I liked the super intrinsic, but there was not that much adjustments to the fork. Where as the two step seems to have endless amounts of tweeks you could do to set up the fork to your liking.

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX with sram x-9 components, mavic 823 rims with XT hubs, fox DHX 5.0 pushed rear shock and ROCKSHOX LYRIK TWO STEP.

Submitted by nick94 a Downhiller from Albany,Western Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    Good looks and weigth

Weaknesses:    Forks seals allways felt sticky. The forks were not plush at all and i found that the rebound and compession dampining would vary even if i did not change them

Bottom Line:
Horrible fork. I spent nearly a year on them but i have just decided to swap to a pair of 2006 66vf which have half the adjustment but feel 10 times better than these lyrics ever could.

Favorite Trail:   Nannup State round course

Submitted by amrgb a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
And your opinion from a demo is more informed than that of long term users? Give me a break.

I'm on my 5th (fifth) Lyric, with a myriad of problems ranging from loose bushings (on all of them), blown damper, loss of travel, broken air chamber thread.

These forks have made me loose more than half of the riding time in the past 3 months. I can't recommend these to anyone even if they were selling for $200 a pair (actually I'm quoting from a mechanic who posted this in the forums).

Submitted by Arioth a Downhiller from Skopje

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    The best AM fork on the market

Weaknesses:    Some

Bottom Line:
This product has fake numbers because it was rated from 3 guys only. They give the fork negative point in all theirs posts

Favorite Trail:   Vodno

Submitted by Hurtinunit a Cross Country Rider from Alberta Rockies

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
3rd Review...

Completed a 95km XC race after getting the fork back on my 2nd warranty....

Went to Whistler a week later and the fork dropped out!!! Literally, zero suspension, oil everywhere. I was in GD Whistler!!!! I had to "fork out" over a $100 bucks to get a rental for my last day there....Would SRAM refund me? Yeah right.

So why design an XC fork with 6 in of travel?

Obviously this 2-step thing isn't made for an all mountain / FR bike...

BUT.....I must say this fork is very nice when it works!!!!!

Submitted by El_Scottamontes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
At my request, customer service is sending me a 2009 Solo air as a replacement along with drivetrain parts to compensate for the difference in value. I hope the solo holds up better and feel that it will as most of the problems I have seen are with the 2-steps for some reason.

The 5 stars are for the customer service as I have no more opinions on the 2-step.

Submitted by El_Scottamontes a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Strengths:    Worked great out of the box. A little tricky to set up, but very smooth, tuneable, stiff. The two step is easy to use and easy to forget. If the reliability holds up, a great fork.

Weaknesses:    At Sram for warranty repair for a few weeks now. Forced me to leave my first ever negative response about any product.

Bottom Line:
After around 80 miles of trail use consisting of mostly xc, the fork seemed to lose the first inch of travel and developed an audible top out clunk on extentsion. Pressure was good, but something was off. My local shop was great in sending the fork out to Sram, but I have spent the last 4 weekends waiting for the return. No word yet as to what the problem was outside of the delay of RockShocks stating that they were waiting for steer tubes to complete. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to go through this. In 10 years of MTB I have never had a fork go back for anything. I expect $1,000 bike parts to work and will hold nothing back when they do not.

Sram: Every time the local rep or myself called Sram, a different story of the repair status was given up to and including a statement that it would ship out one Friday only to hear back in a week that they were waiting for a part. Sram claimed they would overnight due to the delay and then sent the fork ground anyway. This does not make me feel good about what is going on at Sram.

I will follow up with the fork's performance on return and the longevity of the fork. One more warranty issue and I will replace the fork with a Talas 36 and hope Trek stands behind the decision. If the problem is resolved, I will remain a faithful RockShox user and if not I will boycot the company as a whole and flame this item mercilessly in every forum I can.

Do not buy this fork unless you have a good shop behind you.

Purchased At:   Trek Bikes of Tucson