Marzocchi XC 600 TST2 2008 Forks

• 32mm Aluminum Stanchions
  • 6" Post Mount

Submitted by stevo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Performance for price

Weaknesses:    Tad noisey

Bottom Line:
By far the best 100mm forks ive owned. love the look love the plush travel and for what i paid for them nothing beats them

Favorite Trail:   not applicable

Duration Product Used:   2months

Similar Products Used:   Epicon recon xcr xct

Bike Setup:   Cube ltd xt

Submitted by Joe Hall a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    After the first summer on the trails, the fork utterly locked out on me. I removed all the pressure from the fork and still nothing, they wouldn't budge. I put some pressure back in them and rode the last trail of the trip with completely rigid forks. Sucked!!

I got them repaired under the warranty, (an absolute faff from the supplier, (not Marzocchi, I might add)) but another year later and they are steadily getting worse. I have to keep reducing the PSI in the forks; I am currently running them at 50 PSI and getting about 2" travel. Shocking. I am taking them in for a service in the next week or two, then I'll probably start looking for a different fork.

Bottom Line:
These forks came with my Rocky Mountain ETSX10 3 1/2 years ago, this was my first full-suss bike and absolutely loved them... for the first year. But given how they've behaved over the last two years, I am quite keen to get them replaced.
Spend a little more and go for a higher grade fork! Honestly.

Submitted by Danram17

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Soft suspention

Weaknesses:    After 2 years the cartouche were broke. I'm disappoint.

Bottom Line:
I'll buy Rock Shox revelation

Submitted by kabrn34 a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi XC600 TST2 front fork

Bottom Line:
My bad for not reading these reviews prior to purchasing my K2 factory 4.0 with Marzocchi XC600 TST2 front fork. After almost 2 seasons on this bike the front shock has locked out. I'm only 130lbs so I don't put alot of weight on the bike. I'm really disapointed in the shock malfunctioning. It's out of warrenty and now I have to pay the bike shop to fix, which they are unable to get the seal to fix it. So, for a company such a Marzocchi to be so laidback in getting products to the dealers is laime and had I known about there reputation I defiantly would not have purchased!

Submitted by tfkid a Weekend Warrior from athens,ga

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    blew out ,locked whatever. tried to fix it myself using online tips. then sent in for warranty, they wont warranty because they could tell i tried to fix it. worst fork ever, agree w/ others that this company has deteriorated. my 2001 fork is perfect and has never had any maintenance. this is garbage product

Bottom Line:
stay away from these products or get burned

Favorite Trail:   pilot rock

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   2001 bomber (sweet)

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz superlight

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Weaknesses:    Terrible product. Fork blew out after less than 200 miles of riding.

Bottom Line:
I will never purchase another Marzocchi product as long as I ride bikes. I understand that sometimes a product has a problem that must be addressed. When this happens a company should do whatever it takes to keep a customer happy, meaning on the bike. Not so with Marzocchi. Seems like they could care less about customer satisfaction. I have been without my bike for over a month now, will finally get my forks back next week after raising hell with them over the phone without so much as an apology. If I could afford a new pair of forks I would have told them where to shove those Bombers.

Favorite Trail:   Alpine

Purchased At:   Collins Cycle Shop

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2

Submitted by huffman a Cross Country Rider from Western North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of good smooth travel when it works.

Weaknesses:    After 1 year and about 300 miles the fork crapped out. My bike spent 2 months of prime riding weather hanging in the LBS while Marzocchi took their dear sweet time rebuilding it. Still not as good as it was in the beginning.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike exactly 2 years today. Before I start ragging I must say that my first ride on this bike was the Thompson loop at Tsali, it was amazing, much faster than I've ever run this trail before. When this fork is working properly it eats rocks and roots.

Then the fork crapped out. When I brought the bike back to the LBS they didn't hesitate to take it back because they had seen this all too often. Was told Marz would send a new cartridge and I'd be back in the trail in no time. NO, not this time, Marz decided they had to have the fork BACK at the factory, out of commission from late October 09 to late December 09, prime riding weather in western NC. I do appreciate them fixing it under the 3 year warranty at no charge.

Since the rebuild 8 months ago I have not been able to get nearly the full travel like before even though if I release the air pressure it slides the full length. Setting sag at 25% +. Going to try to change the weight & volume of oil to see if that helps. This fork rocked when it was new and I'm determined to get it working properly again though I should not have this much aggravation with a fork considering how little I've used it.

Like a lot of people with this and other late model Marzocchi forks I'm sorely disappointed. Starting to look for a lighter cross country CF FS bike, the first thing I'm checking is the fork and I'm going to have a really hard time choosing anything sporting a Marzocchi fork.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek, Dupont, Tsali.... can't choose just 1

Purchased At:   LBS - came on a 2008

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale headshock

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant Reign 2

Submitted by telluridefreeride a Weekend Warrior from springsucks@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    kinda light at 4.16, nice looking,says Marzocchi on it?

Weaknesses:    Dam fork locks up and becomes unusable

Bottom Line:
Well at first I really like the idea of this fork. For a bigger guy (6foot 210lbs) I though being able to set the air chamber to my desire firmness would be great. Fork worked good for about 100 miles. Air would constantly leak out and the mechanic at my shop couldn't find any leaks. It would only leak when I was riding it. No big deal right just pump the piece of Sh!t up ever couple miles. Well then the coil/fluid side just locks up and the fork only gets about an inch of travel. I bought my first marzocchi in 1998 and have been praising their quality ever since. I cant believe this fork sucks so bad. Alot of their other forks are getting reviews like this all of a sudden. Maybe its the cop in me, but is marzocchi trying to make a quick buck before Fox corners the market. Kinda reminds me of the Motorola razor, they were sweet and everybody wanted one and then they got real cheap and sh!tty, now you can't even give them away. I'm sad that my favorite fork manufacturer would jepordize the safety of thier riders like this. Poor form Marzocchi

Favorite Trail:   anything in moab!

Purchased At:   came on Giant Reign

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1, Jr T, Monster

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant Reign with a good tuff build to it

Submitted by Jay Man a Cross Country Rider from Cairns Australia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Heavy, sticky, Bluddy crap.

Bottom Line:
After having read all the other reviews, I don't feel too bad now. My GT is an all mountain bike and these forks are obviously not siuted for this nor any rough xc style riding which is what I ride mostly. A week after having the bike the forks started sticking and making noises. Then last week they felt soft and saggy and when wanting to pump them up noticed oil coming out of the valve. I am a light rider (75kg). I am so disappointed with Marzocchi. It has put me off ever purchasing this brand again. I have sent them off for a warranty reapir.

Favorite Trail:   All Cairns trails

Purchased At:   Came with my GT 3

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Rockies.

Bike Setup:   Standard 2008 GT Force 3

Submitted by machinehead a Weekend Warrior from Denver, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Major upgrade from Rock Shox Pilot. Tubes are 30% larger and seals are much better, the whole thing is much sturdier. Absorbs hits pretty well. The label on the fork says XC only and this holds true for me. The XC600 takes some pretty good hits considering.
Eastern Trails are made of roots as is well known.
A good test of a fork here is plowing downhill in the woods across millions of these roots. If you can make it down the hill at full speed and not fly over the bars or bounce off the trial, you're doing great.
Amazingly this fork works well for that. It takes some practice to set it up correctly so I carry a shock pump with me to adjust the fork depending on what trail I am on.

Weaknesses:    There is about 10mm of sag that won't let the fork extend all the way even with 50 psi. I believe the fork oil is too thin.

When adjusting the air pressure some oil leaks out of the valve.

The so called lock out lever does not have sufficient notches to hold the lever in intermediate positions. But I always ride it unlocked anyway so it doesn't bother me too much.

Bottom Line:
If you have a bike with a crappy skinny tube fork like the Pilot, or want to add suspension to a rigid, this is a good upgrade. It serves the purpose it was intended for, Cross Country.

I noted before that oil leaks when adjusting the air pressure. This oil is very light and I intend to replace it and the cartridge side oil with 15wt Good Quality motorcycle fork oil this winter. I believe the oil in this fork is too thin. Common problem on some dirt bikes too.

The fork rebounds great over whoops and gravity wells. Takes moderate drops too. Since they are such a big improvement over the Pilots, I am going faster. The limiting factor for me now with these forks are my tires.

I think some people might want to use this fork for All Mountain or Freeride. Unhappily this fork will not work for that.

But if you are an average to aggressive non-racing Trail Rider, it is a good deal. For around $200 I can't think of a cheaper better fork.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Norman State Park

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Pilot

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS3 with some upgrades.

Submitted by zander4 a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta GA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good,price

Weaknesses:    Noisey! Very soft even with full air preload.Not for anyone over 170 lbs.The TST2 is a joke.It's either open or locked out.Mine developed a clicking noise after a few rides.

Bottom Line:
Def. not built in Italy anymore.On top of already being noisey, mine developed a bad clicking sound in the TST within a week.I sent it back to Marzocchi at my expense.Their warranty turnover is 3 weeks.So after getting it back a month later I took my bike out and after about 15 miles of trail riding it started poping again worse than the first time.I called Marzocchi about this and they said to send it back again at my expense to repair again.Did not offer to just give me a new one.So my good price deal turned out to be a nightmare.Marzochhi can kiss my @#%!

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Yargo

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Manitou,Rock Shox

Submitted by arctic slalom a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, MN

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    stiff, tracks good, black stantions are nice touch.

Weaknesses:    stiction at higher air pressure; no through axle, limited adjustments....rebound is kinda goofy....no STOP limit on either end leaved me guessing.

Bottom Line:
a good value priced fork. for $189 there is nothing out there that will compare to this fork. even a used Fox is $275 (decent shape). i weigh 220 so I need to run pretty high pressure in the fork to keep it traveling correctly. when the air pressure is this high there is some stiction, but I'm thinking this will go away as the fork and seals break in a bit. I have the ATA2 120 mm travel fork. the ajustments (air pressure, ATA, and rebound) are plenty for me. I like to set a fork up and forget about it, and this fork is great for that. Most of my fiends have much more expensive forks (with more adjustability) and they never touch them on the trail anyway. the lock out is a nice feature too; something I have used on a few longer climbs.

this thing is really stout. the dropouts, stantions and crown look like they could really handle a beat down. perfect for a XC clyde.

it sounds like (from other internet site) that marzocchi has had some recent quality issues with their lineup. This fork seems to be very well assembled and has been treating me very good. I would recommend this prodcut to others a great quality mid level fork.

5 value turds for a great fork at a great price.

4 overall because there is always room to improve.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   older marzocchi

Bike Setup:   blur classic, SRAM stuff, Mavic 717

Submitted by saltyreefer a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Road well, flush feel

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, blew the cartridge out after 3 months... found out through research that Marz is putting Suntour catridges inside the forks. Suntour as we all know is K-Mart style.

Bottom Line:
The forks ride well at first. After three months due to cheap Suntour inners it will need a rebuild if you ride like I, about 3 days a week. Fortunately Marz is rebuilding them now for free. Choose wisely.....

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vaniila R, Talas, Marz 55ATA

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, Fox RP23, Fox Vanilla R, XTR setup

Submitted by mtbbiker@heart a Cross Country Rider from So Cal

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    For a XC fork, it's well built. Having to replace my original fork, the price point was a steal. I chose the 120mm version, and it drastically improved the handling.

Weaknesses:    Selector switch needs a more defined detent when selecting ride setting. You can hardly feel the selector, plus moves too easily if bumped while riding. I have bascially decided it's either locked or unlocked.

Bottom Line:
After finally blowing out my original (reliable) fork (Manitou SX-R) with no more repacement parts to be found I upgraded with a longer fork, with the lock out feature & air adjust. Being a 200+lb rider having the ability to adjust the preload is great. I have mine set at 65lbs and seems to work well for the sag. I have yet to even come close to bottoming out this fork. Since I am XC riding, and don't do big drops (ne more than a couple of feet) I feel safewith this fork set up. If anyone falls into this category, I would highly recommend this fork for the value.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek