Marzocchi 66 RC3 2008 Forks

• New QR Axle
  • 1.5" Alloy Steer Tube option

Submitted by albertp a Downhiller from Smithfield, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Strengths:    This looks to be a super beef fork. So big and strong. I'm super stoked about all the adjustments...mainly high speed compression, which is something I've always wanted more control over. I also like the bottom out control with the air preload.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for hucking...

Bottom Line:
Basically, I haven't been able to ride on this yet due to winter, but I have been very impressed with Marz customer service. They've already done wonders for me. My fork was super cheap cause' it was missing some components, and the guys over at Marz hooked me up with all the pieces I need for cheap.

VERY NICE CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM MARZOCCHI!

Favorite Trail:   NCS Deer Valley

Purchased At:   pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   RS Domain 318

Bike Setup:   Sette Venom/Juicy 3's(swapping for Stroker Ace)/Mavic EX729/SRAM X7/Truvativ Hussefelt/Gamut Chainguide

Submitted by Matt Schisler a Downhiller from London Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    looks amazing... this beast can be set up just like a 888 or a boxxer and weighs alot less. you can fine tune this fork to suit any ride condish. an amazing fork to race on

Weaknesses:    had an issue with creeking... but sent it back to marzo and got it sorted out... (total down tine was about 1.5 weeks)

Bottom Line:
if you want a great fork that doesn't weigh a ton, butter out of the box ( - creeking) smooth feel, low matenence, (depending on where you go) cheep

then this fork is 4 u

Favorite Trail:   waterfall, shotglass, squeker, slezy b

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   2007 marzo 888 ata, rcv 2008 marzo 888 ata wc, rcv,rv 66 rcv, rc3, ata, 40's 2010 boxxer wc

Bike Setup:   07 bighit, 07 avid codes, 08 zocchi 66rc-3, 09 fox dhx 5.0, axiom road gap 2 peddles

Submitted by kirrussia a Downhiller from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Veeery plush, really adjustable, RC3 is perfect!

Bottom Line:
Really good fork, very adjustable, much better than RCV...
Very light, working as good as 888 RC3!
Working on my GT Sanction 3.0 perfectly!

Submitted by GearTech a Downhiller from Maumee, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Adjustments that do something, Laterally Stiff, Plush, Easy to service, Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Well after one day of riding the Crown/Steerer interface is creaking. The axle works but isn't the best available. Why did companies move away from pinch bolts?

Bottom Line:
We'll see how Marzocchi USA handles this creaking crown issue. It's the only complaint that I have right now, otherwise the fork performs flawlessly.

I'll update the review after Marz fixes the creaking...

Favorite Trail:   Missing Link & Raging Bull @ Snowshoe MTB Park

Similar Products Used:   Domain, Totem, Older 66s

Bike Setup:   Corsair Maelstrom

Submitted by Joyrider_66 a Downhiller from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    The way it works out of the box, 38mm stanchions, adjustability: compression, rebound and preload: all what you need. Smoothness!

Weaknesses:    Made in Taiwan: Lots of bushing slop (even new), crown assembly creaks (reblaced under warranty), axle can be difficult to tighten enough.

Bottom Line:
This forks has some reliability issues but still works great on the trail. Maybe there's simply no other better choice... I wouldn't know which other fork to recommend instead.

The world of 180mm single crown forks is missing one smooth, reliable and bulletproof member... hope it'll come out soon.

Purchased At:   CC

Similar Products Used:   Z150, 06' 66, Fox 40, RS Psylo

Bike Setup:   Turner Highline with Fox DHX 5

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from Fremont

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Butter smooth on all bumps from small to large. Great steering precision, beefy construction, killer looks and inspires confidents on any downhill. Like the quick release lever and huge 38mm stantions. Great price on 08 models at Jenson.

Weaknesses:    Weighs as much as my Nomad frame! Heavy,Heavy,Heavy. Noticable slop in bushings right out of the box. Instruction manual has to be the worst in the industry.

Bottom Line:
This fork is very heavy and has a lot of bushing slop right out of the box but all of that is forgotten on the first downhill. Smoothest, plushest fork I have ever tried. Will make you a better decender instantly! Take a little time to fiddle with the settings and you will be rewarded with the best freeride fork out there. Set the sag with air valve on top of left leg - mine is perfect with about 15 pumps - reads less than 1 pound so must be a large volume, I weigh about 195 LBS. Enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Toads

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Marzocci All Mountain SL, Fox Vanilla 140 RLC, Fox 36 Van and many Rockshox.

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad, XTR drivetrain, King hubs and headset, Stans Flow rims, Easton monkey bars and seatpost. Freeride/allmountain setup.

Submitted by bullcrew a Downhiller from So Cal

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Looks, design, strength, function, stiffness, overall ability to trust it!

Weaknesses:    None on mine at all!

Bottom Line:
I have rode alot of forks and sold a ton of them as well, the one that stays in my arsenal is the 66 RC3, I had Ronnie at Marzocchi put white lowers on it with the nicle stanchions from the ata version and has worked flawless. I have dropped several times to flat theres a jump at the boise bike park a step up. Jump is 7' high run in is fast, landing is 5' up and 18' out! Im hitting it and going over the top of the landing by another 5' and skying 16' past the landing making it 9' up and 35' out. Im 235lbs and done this several times and the little B@stard keeps taking it and never gives me a single issue. Adjustments work great I have raced this fork DH and rode it from SOcal to N idaho and washington and plenty of gaps, jumps, drops, races, ladders, resorts and more. This fork will stay no matter what other forks I try because it will work and I dont have to question it or maintain it!

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel, Knapps, CS, Webb +more

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   888 rc2x wc, 66 rc2, boxxer team, boxxer wc, fox 40, totem, s8

Bike Setup:   Canfield Jedi

Submitted by konastinky07 a Downhiller from holsworthy

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    Amasinly pluss, loads of adjustments, light for marzocchi's open bath oil damping system extreamy strong.

Weaknesses:    Somtimes, it's nice riding down your fave downhill strip without thinking about the adjustments!

Bottom Line:
Awsomeness! you can buy then from the internet for like 450 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   tavi woods

Purchased At:   dartmoor cycals

Similar Products Used:   dropoff tripple (absouloutly rubbish!) tripple 8 08 (awsome)

Bike Setup:   kona stinky 07 with 08 66 rc3 (nukes 2 pairs of dropoff tripples)

Submitted by 06Rockhopper a Downhiller from SB, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    strong, beefy, looks sick, performs great

Weaknesses:    a little heavy maybe but thats just how Marzocchi works: you get a no hassle, no breaking parts product that weights a little more

Bottom Line:
If you want a bomb-proof, well performing fork with long travel and triple crown performance, this is your fork. I got the 66's when my old 888's broke and I have been increadibly happy. This fork just looks like its strong and will never break. The adjustments are great too. While it might now absorb the little chatter as well as my 888's did, it still does an awesome job. I ride fast, rocky trails and I love this fork. It feels plush and smooth through the whole travel. This is a great fork.

Bottom Bottom line: if you arent a weight weenie and you want to ride technical hard hitting trails with a single crown, this is your fork.

Favorite Trail:   knapps

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Marz 888

Bike Setup:   07 Kona Stinky
Marz 66 RC3
Fox DHX 5.0 Air

Submitted by fernanjs a Weekend Warrior from Yonkers, New York

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    Super burly and stiff with tons of plushy travel and all the adjustments you'll ever need. THE PERFECT FREERIDE FORK!

Weaknesses:    It can be expensive depending on where you buy it, but way worth it. No complaints with the through axle but it seems to be a common problem. If you do have any problems just send it back. Marzocchi has the best customer service out of any fork company out there.

Bottom Line:
All that I ever wanted in a fork and more! This fork outperforms dual crowns that I have tried, and still keeps relatively light. Furthermore all the controls have a real function so it can be setup perfectly for anyone. Take it off some big drops and see what this thing can do!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Jr. T, 55R, Psylo, sherman.

Bike Setup:   66 RC-3 on an Older SC Bullit, Laserdisc DH wheels, Saint m810 levers and calipers, Raceface prodigy cranks, azonic pedals

Submitted by gpschutt a Downhiller from Hood River, Oregon

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Burly, stiff, good pop, bottomless feel.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Compression knob knocked off easily. Adjustments fairly worthlesss.

Bottom Line:
Fork performs very well overall and shines on big hits. Still, the adjustability is suspect - anything more than about 1 psi in the the air chamber makes the fork totally stiff. I'm not sure if the mechanical preload does anything. Fox has a more intuitive and wider range of adjustability. Recommend it as an all-around freeriding fork - fast enough for jump lines, big enough for drops.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36, 888.

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirtbag, freeride setup

Submitted by garrett h a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Very adjustable, very plush 180mm of travel, looks awsome!

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
This fork is great so far. It eats up small/large bumps like nothing and feels great. Its easy to adjust from super stiff to super plush. If you like to freeride and downhill this is the fork for you. I will right a follow up review in a couple of weeks after i go to Mammoth.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Drop Off III

Bike Setup:   2006 Iron Horse 7.3 stock exept fork and Lezard Skin Peaty lock on grips.

Submitted by William42 a Downhiller from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Its simple as hell. You get a compression knob, a rebound knob, and preload. You don't even have to bother opening up the fork to adjust oil levels like you used to with marzocchi.

Weaknesses:    Lacking in QC.

Bottom Line:
This was one of the original batch of these forks to come out. Tom (one of the marzocchi techs) wrote up a nice piece on the boards here about the various QC issues that marz has had this year, and what they're doing about them.

Mine had the two associated with the 66 series.

First, the lowers had faulty casting. Nothing "unsafe" per se, but it allowed for the new QR axle to come loose on a pretty regular basis. It actually wouldn't really keep the wheel from having slight play in it. I actually thought it was the hub, but thats not the case. Anyway, it was safe, but it made the front end feel a little squirrly on the trail.

Second, I had loose bushings, the tolerance wasn't as good as it should have been, and so I could actually pinch my finger pretty hard by putting it between the arch and the stantion tube. Again, on the trail I didn't notice this too much, especially once I was in the travel, just gave the front end a bit of a squirrly feel. Neither really effected my riding, and I got to send the fork back on my own time (I broke my wrist and sent it back then - down time was 2 weeks total from the day I sent it out to the day I got it back. monday-monday).

Now that its all working as it should, I can't be more pumped about this fork. I like to tune my compression a bit more then this fork allows, but its pretty sweet - it never feels harsh no matter how you screw with the comp damping, either in high or low speeds, and its fairly stable. Its also easy to adjust bottom out. If it bottoms to easily, add some air, if its too hard, run no air, and lose a little bit of oil if necessary. Very controlled feeling fork.

No complaints with the dampers function, its been flawless and felt great the whole time, my only complaint with the forks tuning options is that in order to get a point of lsc where its not diving in the slightest (I like tons of LSC) I need to run compression in the rest of the range higher then I would prefer, but lets be honest, me being pedantic about my suspension isn't gonna make me any faster down the hill.

All and all, if you get one of the newer ones (anything sold after about may) you should be ready to rock and roll with the traditional marzocchi reliability. There is alot of negative press about them this year though, so i'd research and decide for yourself. I'm pretty happy with the fork (even though I had to send it back) and i'm going to be keeping it on the bike instead of buying a different one (and I'm the type of guy who switches components all the time for no better reason then "i want to").

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   my shop

Similar Products Used:   lots of downhill forks. Blahblahblah. Been riding for awhile now, I've ridden my share of other forks, single and dual crown.

Bike Setup:   Giant glory 0, nothing is stock except the frame, the fork, and the headset.

Submitted by mtbkid15 a Downhiller from Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    very plush, bottomless(if setup right), very tough stanchions, Uses air chamber for bottom-out resistance

Weaknesses:    Lowers creak

Bottom Line:
This fork is for anyone whos wants a beefy 7" travel fork with the mind of a dual crown. I have droped this thing about 12 feet to flat on dirt and it didn't bottom. It is a very plush, bottomless fork with huge, very tough stanchions(38mm). When I was riding urban I fell and rode for about 10 feet with the stanchions rubbing a concrete ledge and had no scratches.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps and drops