Marzocchi 55 ATA 2008 Forks

• 6" Post Mount
  • New QR Axle

Submitted by Reid a Downhiller from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Good size, weight, feel

Weaknesses:    weak, very weak, blew on the 6th day of riding. And continued to break and leak oil after a few rebuilds and attempts to solve problem

Bottom Line:
i ve read a few reviews and rider comments who like them, but after my experience i would NEVER buy them and be skeptical of that era marzocchi products in general. maybe i got a lemon or maybe those guys who like them never really ride them hard.

Favorite Trail:   rio

Similar Products Used:   05 marzoccho 66, which was the best fork i ve ever ridden, never had any problems

Bike Setup:   slayer ss.

Submitted by DSHEFF a Downhiller from Canada, British Columbia

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing burely strong feeling fork Have sent it off drops around 14ish with no issue this fork can handle everything the 66 can however it does have less travel.
Marzocchi is also very helpful if you ever have an issue

Weaknesses:    none really works great

Bottom Line:
awesome fork if your into doing it all, works great for freeride , works good for dirtjump if you set the travel down using the amazingly useful ATA system, it also works great on the climbs to trails. And a good weight at 5.5 pounds which is fairly light.

Favorite Trail:   D1 in whistler

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   manitou sherman breakout

Bike Setup:   bottlerocket with atlas FR cranks, synchros ds28 rims, juicy brakes, 4 way swinger shock , holzfeller bars and hussefelt stem, kenda nevegal tires 2.35

Submitted by hotrodmarlin a Weekend Warrior from Winston Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    cartriges, adjustments, poorly made.

Bottom Line:
I bought a new Kona Coil-air Deluxe that fork came on. The fork never lasted more than 3 rides. It went back to Marzocchi 2 times. Each time it took them 3 weeks. The 3rd time the cartriges failed the local bike shop got replacements from Marzocchi and installed it.
The last time I rode the fork, I crashed and twisted my ankle pretty bad. After I picked up the bike, I realized the fork was compressed all the way down and was stuck. I got it fixed for the 4th time at another shop and never rode it again.

I'll have to say that Marzocchi customer service is some of the worst I've ever dealt with. They lied to me about putting in the 09 cartriges and denied any problems with the 55ata forks. They refused to rush to get the fork back to me. Here I had a brand new bike and couldn't ride it for 6 weeks.
Kona was also not helpful and lied to me. (see my review on Kona Coil-air Deluxe.

In my opinion there should be a class action lawsuit against Marzocchi for this fork. it is defective and dangerous.

Favorite Trail:   top secret

Purchased At:   mock orange bikes

Similar Products Used:   rock shox totem, Rock shox domain, manitou

Bike Setup:   Kona Coil-air deluxe complete.

Submitted by infamous24 a Weekend Warrior from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Stiffness

Weaknesses:    Just about everything, see below.

Bottom Line:
Well where to start with this horrendous fork? It has now been in for service 3 times, seems Marzocchi can't figure things out.

The first time the forks ATA catridge had broken and the travel adjust wasn't working anymore. This happened with the first owner, I purchased it once it was back from warranty. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Worked find for about a month, then noticed the fork lost about an inch of travel. The fork went back to Marzocchi, which took about 2 weeks. When it came back it had 2009 cartridges, which "had no problems."

Well about a month later the forks rebound and compression circuit were blown. The rebound adjust didn't work, nor did the lockout feature. It is in for warranty as I write this review.

Anyways as soon as the fork is back I am selling it, and will never buy another Marzocchi fork again. Even when it did work the fork was not that impressive. I replaced the fork with a 36 Float RC2, which blows it out of the water. As far as suspension performance goes, Marzocchi can't even come close to Fox or Rockshox.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float 36 RC2, Pike

Submitted by ezgo a Weekend Warrior from Sde Warburg, Israel

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    When it works...it's light and rigid and "irons" every tough element out there.

Weaknesses:    It never works...third time in less than a year was sent to complete rebuild.
warranty seems to be very good and the guys here are nice but it is NOT reliable and at this point I switched over to Fox 36 talas RC2. Every single part of my fork has been replaced and yet it keeps breaking down.

Bottom Line:
Do not be tempted!
Waist of money and extreme disappointment.

Favorite Trail:   Downiville

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float 32 RLC, Fox 36 Talas RC2

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo (aka Green Mamba) w/ fox dhx air5, 36 talas rc2, magura martha SL, stan no tube arch hadley rear hope 2 front, gravity dropper.

Submitted by dirtcoach a Downhiller from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth Travel, Nickel Coated Sanctions

Weaknesses:    Durability is poor even with my scrawny 150lbs. Fork locked out after 5 hours of use TST failure. The bad part I was instructing a MTB camp at the time. The fork was repaired and worked fine for a month them the same thing well it has been back to Marzocchi four time now I have so far spent $200 in shipping costs and have to wait a month each time to have it returned, apparently they have a lot of warranty issues.

Bottom Line:
Spend your money else were, Marzocchi quality and durability has really slipped the last several years. It is the last Marzocchi product I will buy.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36

Bike Setup:   Giant Reine XO 09 Saint Shifters and Derailleurs, Gravity Light Crank & Stem, Gravity Carbon Bar, Hadley Hubs Sun Equalizer 31 rims, Rocco Air Rear Shock.

Submitted by erezgolan a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Rigid, adjustable, light for 165mm of travel

Weaknesses:    complete air chamber failure. replaced with 2009 parts under warranty and worked fine since. Chrome coating coming off creating rough surface.
not too reliable.

Bottom Line:
Don't make the mistake I made. I was tempted by the long travel and light weight but it is not worth it. Poor product for the price. Moving on to the new fox talas 150 15mm QR which tends to be reliable and rigid enough for hard AM rides. Local distributers here were very nice and replaced everything under warranty.

Favorite Trail:   ben shemen

Similar Products Used:   Fox float 32 rlc 140mm

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo w/Lopes Link , XTR, gravity dropper, ZTR Arch with hope 2 hubs, magura martha xl.

Submitted by Vaughn a Weekend Warrior from Oroville, CA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight at less than 5 lbs with 160ish mm travel Nice lateral rigidity. Quick release thru axle. Technical support.

Weaknesses:    2008 was not ready for market, service manual and online support were marginal. Initial setup was made much more of a guessing game than it should have been. I should not have to call or google a nonMarzocchi chatroom or blog to figure out my air settings. By the way, my riding weight is about 190 pounds, positive air pressure at top of stanchion is about 45, and negative air pressure at bottom of leg is 120. The adjustment knobs are nice aluminum, but the travel adjust knob is sharp and digs into the fingers to dial down. The TST knob is not a nice tight smooth rotation. It is kind of up down play when it should just be sliding forward and back in its infinite terrain sensitive adjustment. Honeycomb brake arch is a mud trap. Aluminum steerer inner diameter is very narrow, not accomodating star nut or other usual inserts for fender. Previous years of Marzocchi All Mountain forks have had their own threaded attachment points for Marzocchi fenders, this one does not.

Bottom Line:
First the good;

1) I finally understand what all the fuss is about with the new thru axle offerings. This one is 20mm thru axle of course. I am really pleased how the fork goes where I point it. Hardly any tire deflection.

2) Travel is more than I need for xc, but lets me go faster than I have ever gone when pointed downhill. Gives enough confidence that it is the first bike I have ever jumped more than four feet in the air, and it assuredly could do more.

3)40mm of hand wind travel adjust from 165 to 120 makes long steep climbs more palatable. Not worth all the hand cranking for rollers

4)Customer service was excellent. Unfortunately, had to get to know them, but they were very accomodating and helpful getting my fork up and working, which brings me to the bad

1) Within 100 miles of ride time the fork was spewing oil, I forget which leg, then the positive and negative air chambers were bleeding into each other.

2) Marzocchi USA ultimately swapped me both left and right leg cartridges. Unfortunately, the ATA cartridge was bad after the first ride, so it went straight back. Zokes sent me a new one without waiting for the old cartridge to show up, which was nice. My TST cartridge never did go bad, but they replaced it without question after I questioned what I had been reading about here on MTBR about garage rebuilds, and Marzocchi USA repair solutions. From speaking with Mike and Johner at Zokes, it is apparent that many many other people were having the same problem with the 2008 Marzocchi ATA. At one point Zokes USA was waiting for updated model TST cartridge shipment from Italy before I could get that leg replaced.

3) I have gotten in a couple hundred miles since it was repaired with the new guts, essentially 2009 guts, in October and I must admit it has run awesome. No issues with air loss or bleed over. No oil loss. No squeaks or hardwear niggles.

When in working order, small bump compliance is ok, moderate speed compliance is good, and wide open downhill banging is unbelievably good. It is not quite as cush as my brothers coil All Mountain, but being more xc oriented I prefer the lighter weight

I have never had a fork go bad so quick, nor have I spent so much on a fork before, so I will take two points off. I should take another point off for the lack of a service manual or setup information, but I will give Marzocchi a break for being so helpful with me when I actually did contact them by phone. I speculate whether the move of manufacturing from Italy to Taiwan was cause for quality control issues, or whether these problems were an intrinsic design problem trying to get as light of weight as possible on a big travel fork. Who knows.

I may be selling the bike and fork to a friend shortly. Despite my issues with this fork, I would definitely consider this fork again, but I would do more diligent research on service issues, to make sure it is all ironed out for 2009 and beyond. I really hope Zokes can get their act together and re-earn their reputation as builders of bulletproof forks.

Favorite Trail:   Kenosha to Breckinridge

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with this much travel. Fox 32 a couple variations up to 140 mm travel. Rockshox Revelation Air U-turn at 130 mm.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Moment, setup more xc with weight 31 lbs. 203mm front rotor with Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes

Submitted by Nik Benko a Racer from Los Osos, California US

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Has the potential to be super smooth and great feeling and Its really light. has cool adjustments in theory.

Weaknesses:    I had a really hard time getting this fork set up right and I'm pretty suspension savvy, it has loads of stickchion the general durability of the fork basically sucks

Bottom Line:
When I first got this fork the first thing I noticed was how sticky the fork felt. I tried putting fork oil and stanchion grease on it and it temporally fixed the problem. It was also really hard to get the right air pressure for my weight, the recommended pressures were nothing near what I wanted the fork to feel like and the ATA air chamber had a leak. After a few weeks of trial and error I finally got the fork running smoothly but then about two months later the fork started riding low in the travel and would not return to full travel.

I contacted marzocchi when I noticed the travel issue and they wanted me to send in the forks and get them back weeks to months later, I racing a series now, so going weeks without a fork was not an option so I ended up selling the frame and fork and using a different bike.

Like I said all of the adjustments are good in theory but the build quality and overall execution just plane stinks. A few of the bike at the shop I work at have the new 08 marzochhi 55's on them and I have yet to see one that functions like a fork you would expect of a $2,500+ bike that they come on.

I didn't pay much for them so 3 on the value but the poor quality and service forces me to give it 2 on the overall

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail MDO

Purchased At:   Came with bike from

Similar Products Used:   RS Pike, 2008 Marzocchi 888 RCV, Marzocchi All mountain 4, 55 R

Bike Setup:   stock 08 Mongoose Kyhber Super

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Redmond, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    The fork is quite adjustable and relatively light for its travel and versatility.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality and workmanship

Bottom Line:
The manufacturing quality is quite poor. In just three months I have had two major failures. First the TST cartridge failed and had to be replaced, and then the ATA cartridge failed a month later. Although I would like to think I'm an aggressive rider that just is hard on equipment, the fact is I'm not. My bike has been out of commission for a full month (of the three months I've had it) while waiting on replacement parts from Marzocchi.

The fork has nice features, but the quality and workmanship are definitely questionable. My interactions with the retailer, Bothell Bike and Ski, and Marzocchi have been less than spectacular as well. My preference was to have the fork replaced with a new one due to the numerous indications I had a "lemon", but neither were interested in discussing other options. I'll continue to sit and wait, bikeless, while Marzocchi replaces another failed part. :-(

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant, Whistler

Purchased At:   Bothell Bike and Ski

Bike Setup:   08 Kona CoilAir Deluxe, stock.

Submitted by big-boy a Weekend Warrior from IK

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    nice colour . . . . .

Weaknesses:    dampers last about ten rides, TST lever undoes itself, legs are corroding, sloppy bushes, sticky travel, poor small bump control and not as smooth as old marzocchis . . .

Bottom Line:
Update to my first review,
Well these forks have been back three times now, not really what you could call the most reliable fork ever and I question the advertising that says butter smooth straight out the box as they are worse than my old old old RST HI5s on my pub bike!!!!! not impressed, they have quickly lost the damping control and I have not really been able to ride more than one month every two as a result of them being back for repairs, service from windwave is pretty good, they have about a week turnaround for repairs. . . not that it should need to go back every two months!

They should not have put these things to market in this state, after I received them back the last time they said they had a 2009 damper fitted to solve problems but then something else went wrong! oh well I have got my local bike shop to swap them for a set of lyriks as they have refunded me the 55s under warranty which was nice! come on Marzocchi you can do better, maybe next year, just don't try testing out your products with my money!

Similar Products Used:   RST, Rockshox, Marzocchi z1, bombers,

Bike Setup:   Commencal meta 5

Submitted by brownbomber a Downhiller from buffalo, ny, us

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    The bottom out control is mint, and it is a good looking fork

Weaknesses:    Every cool adjustment feature is defective right from box. I've been on 4 rides and I'm shipping the fork back already.

Bottom Line:
I really have no idea how this fork is suppose to feel, but with the problems I've had already I suggest buying a lyric instead.

Favorite Trail:   autobahn blue mountain

Similar Products Used:   You name it

Bike Setup:   'goose super khyber

Submitted by boulimik a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    great QR, looks great

Weaknesses:    price, over all preformance

Bottom Line:
ive had nothing but problems with this fork. the ata would wind down after pushing it downhill. the tst would slip out of place all the time. and after 3 days of having it, it bottomed out and stayed bottomed out. i blew out the par chamber and brew the rebound clean out the bottom of the fork. it was weak when it came to the stiffness in the lower end.

Favorite Trail:   bufflo jump

Purchased At:   united cycle

Similar Products Used:   fox 36 talas, magura

Bike Setup:   05 banshee scratch from, pig pro dh head set, dmr revolver single speed 14mm axel rear hub, dmr revolver 20mm front, shimano saint cranks and bb, thomson elite x4 0 degree stem, sun rim mtx 24" rims, dmr moto rt tires

Submitted by nuculur a Weekend Warrior from South Windsor, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent small, mid-range, and large-bump performance. Very tunable to suit different riding styles using main spring, progressive spring, compression and rebound damping. Perfect travel adjustment range. (125mm-165mm in ~30 clicks); I can set the bike's head angle *exactly* where I want it! Laterally stiff, minimal flex. Nickel stanchions are smooth and tough. Graphics make me feel young again.

Weaknesses:    QR Axle is a little hoaky. The design uses an O-ring to help set the torque threshold. Good idea to keep a few extra on hand. No lack of stiffness or stability though. Nearly as fast on/off as a standard QR. Seriously, the graphics remind me of high school art class. Whatever happened to the heavy-metal looking M decals with the space-age lightning bolts?

Bottom Line:
The fork does everything it says it does. I've been a Fox and Marzocchi rider for the past 9 years, and I've come to appreciate Marzocchi's moto feel. The fork has an adjustable positive spring (with self-adjusting negative) and a progressive air chamber, which is great for setting the bottom out progressiveness. I agree with the other posts that warn not to follow the air pressure settings in the manual. Look for the ones on marzocchi's website, and spend some time dialing the fork in by feel. I was able to get mine set up just the way I want it within 3 or 4 rides, and it hasn't lost air. At first when I got the fork, it had only been used a couple times, and had huge amounts of stiction. That is a characteristic of some newer Marzocchi's before the seals and bushings break in. After a month's worth of riding the fork feels as plush as my old Talas 32, which was the plushest fork I'd ridden since my old Z1. Excellent fork.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge 157-Provo, UT

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas 36, Fox Talas 32; Marzocchi Z1 FR Sl; Marzocchi Z1 FR ETA; Marzocchi Super T; RockShox Pike

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth '06 Moment w/ Romic, Marzocchi 55 ATA, Hope Bulb Frt, DT FR Rear laced to Sun Equalizer Rims, Race Face Atlas Cranks, Thomson Stem & Post, Atlas AM Handlebar, King Steelset ~32 lbs.

Submitted by ScottW a Weekend Warrior from ABQ, NM

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Looks good, when it's not broken has a nice ride.

Weaknesses:    Leaking ATA, air valve cores not seated deeply enough, axle loosens when riding, TST micro stopped working, had to be sent back.

Bottom Line:
I've been a Marz user for many years but this fork has changed that. When I got the fork the first thing I found was that the upper ATA wouldn't hold air. The valve core did not seat deeply enough into the cartridge to allow it to seal closed as the pump was removed. I ended up grinding the core pin down a couple mm. Seems like the threads needed to be cut in a little bit deeper. Next issue was the PAR chamber leaking air into the ATA. I fixed this by finding the appropriate metric o-ring and replacing it. Then the TST micro lost any noticeable adjustment which was a big difference from the feel when brand new. I ended up having to send it back to Marz, then arguing with tech support to get them to actually do anything to it. After the TST cart was bled it is working ok. The latest issue is the axle developing looseness after riding a few mile. I think the problem is that the axle doesn't torque hard enough so once you start riding it loosens. This requires you to stop and re tighten.

I should note that all these issues occurred in the first month which is why I know ride a Lyrik 2 step which has been fantastic.

I will say that the idea behind the 55 ATA is good. With the PAR the fork can be set up plush but still resist bottoming out. TST is ok but I don't know why the don't use a proven system like RC2.

I knew Marz quality control has been bad for the last couple years but I took a chance that they'd sorted out all their issues. Guess I was wrong, no more Marz for me.

Purchased At:   bike shop