Manitou Minute MRD Absolute 2008 Forks

• Lightweight Cartridge Absolute Platform Damper system
  • 32mm Gold Al stanchions

Submitted by Cubits a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, plushness, weight and aesthetics!

Weaknesses:    Original Absolute Damper, tyre clearance.

Bottom Line:
For the runout price most people got it for, it's an amazing bargain! My fork weighed in at 1490g with an uncut steerer (confirmed on two scales). That is ridiculous for a 130mm fork! That it backed the low weight up with surprising stiffness and plushness is almost a miracle.

The Absolute damper is a bit on/off, and the low stiction of the fork means there's a bit of brake dive to nullify with the damper. You can cruise over massive hits without losing stability, and there is very little deflection from the lowers.

Once you add in the new absolute+ damper (50 bucks) though, this fork takes it to the best. It truly transforms the fork, eliminating the brake dive while leaving all of the plushness. The adjustment knob has more obvious steps, and it's quiet as a mouse. I prefer it over my F100, and the Reba. 400 bucks all up, amazing fork.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Fox F100RL

Bike Setup:   Mongoose meteore team, 130mm fork to slacken it a bit.

Submitted by dud a Cross Country Rider from Volcano, HI USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    It's light and the price was right

Weaknesses:    The color-baby blue, probably why they were on sale. Blew it up after 2 months, slowwwwww on the rebuild (6 weeks). Rides well now.

Bottom Line:
First off, I must apologize, I've been reading reviews for 10 years and this is my 1st time writing one, my bad.
The fork is light and plush at the top end of the travel. At 155 lbs, without way underinflating the fork, I'll never use all the travel. Before blowing it up, I ran the pressure super low to get more of the travel, but you just end up giving away travel in sag. With whatever settings, I don't think there's more than 100mm of usable travel. The adjustable platform seems to be either fully open or with 1 or 2 clicks close to locked out.
Still ok with the purchase given what I paid, full MSRP no way

Favorite Trail:   Kulani

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Girvin, K2 Noleen, RS Duke, Fox Talas, Manitou R7

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL, XTR cranks, derailleurs, dual control shifters, THE carbon bar/stem combo, EC90 post, XC-1 wheelset

Submitted by rexorama a Weekend Warrior from St Louis MO USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Smooth

Weaknesses:    Does not get claimed 130 mm travel, 115 mm is the most I've ever seen, usually only about 100 mm. Sent it in for warranty and still only get about 4 inches, they were very nice and fast service though.

Bottom Line:
I love the ride, it just bugs me that the zip tie I use for a travel indicator never goes near the crown. If I didn't know I would be excatatic. It really does only weigh 3 1/4 pounds with an 8 inch steerer and star nut. This thing is the bomb for 120 mm cross country bikes. Excellent steering and lots of stiffness and rigidity, did I mention it is super light and rides great. I think of it like a tall superlight 100 mm fork, it's way smoothe rthan the R7.

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluffs Lake

Similar Products Used:   R7 Platinum, Minute 3 130 mm IT, Minute Super 140 mm

Bike Setup:   08 FSR

Submitted by 757Driver a Cross Country Rider from Avondale,AZ

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth and adjustable. Super light.

Weaknesses:    Air chamber is on the bottom of fork. Pain to get to.

Bottom Line:
I finally broke the fork that originally came with the bike. Another R7. I never maintained it and it carried on for 2 rough years. I was happy with it and had a team deal come by so I decided to re-up.

Very happy. Smooth travel. The Elite before was a little choppy the MRD Absolute is very smooth and rarely bottoms out. The adjustment on the top right is easy to get to if you are going to being riding through large drops that could bottom the fork. Off 1 ft drops turn the knob 2 clicks right and no issues at all. Without you may bottom on occasion but that isn't what this fork is for.

I run about 65 psi in the chamber with rebound all the way out. I normally never touch the spring adjustment unless I know it is going to get really technical.

Great add on to a bike that has stood up to a lot of abuse.
Definitely smoothed out the handling and reduced the beating my arms took.

So far no problems what so ever.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella Competitive