Magura Menja 2008 Forks

• Travel: 130, 100, 85
  • Lockout: Dynamic Lockout

Submitted by a48jeep a Weekend Warrior from Kent, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Strengths:    The following observations are based on only a few months riding. Very stiff design. Adjustment knobs are machined aluminum and are very durable. Lock-out knob is easy to set while on the fly. Rebounds well through rocks and ruts, which at my weight (240 lbs) is no easy task. Has held-up up through several endos with no ill effects. Clear wide, muddy tires pretty well. Drop outs are tough (stainless steel). All-in-all I am very pleased with the product, cheaper alternate to other comparable performing forks.

Weaknesses:    More complaint than weakness, requires nearly unscrewing your quick release to dismount wheel. Has a touch more brake dive than I am used to- nothing dramatic however.

Bottom Line:
I am happy to have been offered the fork. Seems very stiff and gives me confidence to try familiar trails at a higher rate of speed than before. Also handles surprises or missed lines in a predictable fashion. The lock-out makes long climbs easier. I think it is a great all-mountain fork.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Single Track

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black and Minute.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler. Fox RP23 Float, bashguard, Avid Juicy brakes, XT drive train. Fairly basic set-up at this point.

Submitted by Klootvioolk1099 a Cross Country Rider from Vriezenveen,overijsel,Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    its cheap and verry stiff

Weaknesses:    the air pressure is difficult to setup

Bottom Line:
i have a problem, the instructionmannuel tells me to put 4,5 bar in the fork. i did but its to little, now i have 7 bar in my fork, it handels great but im afraid it could break this way. pleas help me, do you people have the same problem??? i asked at my work ( a bike store in holland.) they all say that its no problem. i dont agree. pleas help me and send me a messige!

(sorry for the bad English im from Holland :D )

Favorite Trail:   Nijverdal blauw

Purchased At:   classefied

Similar Products Used:   rockshoxs Tora, pro carbon fork.

Bike Setup:   Sensa livingo with full xt magura hs33, mavic crossride wheels

Submitted by joebreez a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Light- 4 lbs for 130mm, Easy setup, tracks well

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I did my home work and found as much info as I could about the Menja-almost all of it was positive.
I decided the buy this instead of the Rock Shock Revelation 130mm. There are less adjustments on the Menja-no pedal platform. You can install the Albert Select as an after market item which has many platform adjustments.

The Menja is a huge step up from my old Manitou Black that was about 5 years old and starting to develop some slop in the bushings. A great old fork but had seen better days.
When I first started riding the Menja I put in the suggested air pressures in the right fork-63 to 70 psi for a 200 lb guy.
I opted for the 70 psi choice thinking it may be too stiff, the fork is very plush so it was a good choice. There is a little brake dive if you go toward the low end of the pressure setting, so keeping toward the high side is good.
All the pressure settings are listed on the fork leg so it's hard to screw up.

The brake mount and wheel mounts are stainless steel, so it should take some abuse without incident.There also are hose guides built into the legs.
All knobs and air caps are metal, not cheap plastic.
The fork also comes with a nice air pump that folds in half for a nice small package in you pack.

I've ridden this for about a month, so there's about 10 rides on it so far, I have not had to add any additional air, or even adjust the rebound damping. I just set it and forget it.
Initially the first few rides I was concerned about some oil coming out of the fork seals, but after the 3rd ride it has stopped. It wasn't a lot of oil but enough to put a few dribbles down the fork leg.

Overall the fork is very impressive, good quality of ride, damping is also very good.
The biggest difference is in the ability to attack rock gardens and not get bounced off your line. 32mm stanchion's keep you headed in the right direction and the beefy wheel mounts keep things up front very stiff.

I may opt for the Albert Select in a few months and see if adding some "platform" brings it to another level.
The fork is designed and built in Germany, they don't mess around with cheap quality and poorly designed stuff.

I would buy this fork again if given the chance.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mt

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, 120 and 100 mm
Rock Shock Judy, Manitou SX

Bike Setup:   Haro Sonix LT, WTB wheelset, Kenda Nevegal 2.35, WTB saddle,XT shifters and deralliuers.

Submitted by musky a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontarion Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Very plush, easy to set up, Handles whatever I throw at it, the Dual Arch Design makes it very stiff!

Bottom Line:
This fork rocks. Has all the features of a much higher priced fork. Love the lock out for riding the roads to the trails. This was my first really major upgrade to my bike, and I don't regret it one bit. For the money, you simply just can't go wrong! Plus, you get asked a LOT of questions for other riders out on the trails. Gotta love the dual arch design's "exotic" look!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 2.0 SE, Conti Mountain Kings, Avid BB7's, Magura Menja 100mm

Submitted by LiQuOrIcE a Cross Country Rider from Gloucestershire

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    After having a specialized Enduro SL with every single adjustment option you can think of, the simplicity of this fork is a breath of frest air! Plush from day 1.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After deciding to build a new bike (hard tail) to use alongside my full susser I knew it had to be reasonably good spec or I wouldnt use it (happened before). I also didnt want to blow a load of money on it as it was intended for a second bike. I Looked around for some forks under £300 and as many other I'm sure will do....I looked for second hand Rock Shox (revelations & pike etc) & Fox forks. None stood out and then all of a sudden I saw these menjas and spur of the moment got them.......great impulse buy! so simple to use & work great! Tracks great on the downs and super plush. The 130 AM ones really are All Mountain! My Enduro SL is now on ebay as a reslut.....too many settings!

Favorite Trail:   Whites Level, Afan

Purchased At:   Noahs Ark

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas RLC on a 2007 stumpjumper Expert

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob
Magura Menja 130
SRAM X.9 Shifters & Rear Deraileur
Hone Chainset & Front Mech
Avid Juicy 5
Raceface stem, bars, lockon grips, seatpost etc

Submitted by Wildeyes a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    This fork is very easy to set, and air loss is very minimal in that I have rarely had to top off the fork at all even letting it sit for weeks. Fork is very plush and smooth from day one.

Weaknesses:    The 2008 Menja seems a little more difficult to get the wheel into the dropouts than the 2007 Menja.

Bottom Line:
At this price, one will not find a better fork. Made like a German tank, simple to set up and maintain, and never loses any air. I have not noticed any break in period at all on this fork or the '07 version. Plush and smooth as butter from day one, and still there is not a thing I can say is wrong with this product. Everything you would expect from a German company. Wouldn't use any other fork such as Fox or Rock Shox because you would pay a lot more for a similar ride. Haven't seen any price lower than bikeman.com and they also carry black and white colors (previously you could only customize in Europe) which was cool.

Favorite Trail:   IDB

Purchased At:   bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox, Fox, Manitou.

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei Supreme custom build. Kona Kula Supreme custom build. Kona Explosif custom build.

Submitted by T a Cross Country Rider from London, U.K.

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    32mm stanchions & dropouts with S.D.O. Design (Safety Drop Out with 45° opening). These forks are superbly stiff thanks to the stanchions and the innovative D.A.D. (Dual Arch Design) The dual arch design adds a little extra weight to the forks but imo it's worth it for a super stiff responsive fork that tracks on a knife edge.

Weaknesses:    Only had them about a month. Will post another review in a few more months once they've been abused some more.

Bottom Line:
I have the new 2008 Menja forks and opted for Magura's "customize programme" (http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm) - which is only available in the U.K. so got 'em in blue. So far I'm more than happy with these forks - all the bits 'n pieces like the screw on schrader valve cap and other bits are all made from high quality aluminium rather than cheap plastic found all too often on other forks. I can't speak for retailers because working in the bike industry I got these direct from Magura Germany but they did ship with a shock pump too which is pretty cool. The Menjas are available in 130mm, 100mm and 85mm travel so are suitable for All Mountain to XC use. They are simple to set up which I like and as I said I will abuse them a bit more and get back with another review in a few months... I suspect these forks could do with five chilis but as I have only had them a month I'm giving them an early rating of 4 because I am VERY impressed! OH - did I mention these forks weigh in at 3.65 pounds which is a whiskar heavier than the RockShox Reba Teams.

Favorite Trail:   Every one I've ever ridden...

Purchased At:   from Magura Germany

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba SL, Manitou silver super.

Bike Setup:   Trek Elite 9.8

Help fix Magura Menja

It's a 2008 Magura Menja 130 and I got oil coming out on the left leg. 'pretty convinced that the seals needs to be replaced. The Magura website does not publish any service manuals .I had never taken this fork apart and hoping someone can chime in and lend a hand. Thanks in advance...Read More »

Magura Menja 100mm Fork in Surly 1x1

hi guys, for next summers Transalp I´d like to install a Magura Menja 100mm Fork on my 20" Surly 1x1. Do you think this will work out fine? I don´t know wether the frame really supports this fork... ThanksRead More »

Sid 80mm or Menja 85mm fork make a difference?

Need some valuable info on Fork travel. I currently rebuild my 1998 GT Xizang. It is currently running a old Fox 80mm Vanilla fork. From what I know, 80mm (3inches) is the max I should go in terms of front fork travel to keep my race geometry in with the bike personality. I see a good deal on a 2008 ... Read More »

Magura Menja Service?

I've never even seen a Menja, but they sound promising. Who has any experience working on them? Are they easy for the end user to keep up?Read More »

Magura Menja..how good is it?

I'm looking at a couple of different fork options right now. I'm a clyde who does aggressive XC. I have been considering the fox float 32 rlc, and I just started looking at the Magura Menja. Both are air sprung, which is the better fork. I weigh in at 235.Read More »