Fox Shox 40 RC2 2008 Forks

• Rebound
  • Hydraulic bottom-out in damper

Submitted by daisycutter a Downhiller from New York, New York City

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    The performance of these forks is really second to none in the 2007/8 years.

Weaknesses:    The lowers wear easily and the seals are incredabily poor and prone to scratching the stanctions even with regular service. Inspite having the shocks rebuilt during the off season and spreading my riding over 2 DH bikes the stanctions needed to be replaced this year. I am married with kids and don't get to ride very often this should not have happened.

Bottom Line:
The forks performance is great The seals however are a joke and even with service are going to scar because they let dirt it. I am bummed fox has failed to design a such a great performance product with better seals. if you are in the east coast or northwest I would reccommend against this fork. Once they are fixed I will sell them and buy a used 888 and a new boxxer when they come out.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill

Purchased At:   Racersedge NYC

Similar Products Used:   zoke 888, tam boxxer

Bike Setup:   both bikes m1's,saint cranks syncros bars & pedals,hadleys mavic 823s maxis tires,

Submitted by Ruind4d3 a Downhiller from Portugal

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    This fork is super solid and by this you will ride much more confident, also this item has an excelent sensitivity.

Weaknesses:    For me the weakness is the weight, but i think this is not a problem because with this caracteristics, the others are worst.

Bottom Line:
For me this is the best fork i´ve ever have, it weights more than the boxxer wc, once i´ve made a road gap and i broke my wc. The sensitivity is as good as in the boxxer wc but the stifness and the bottom out are much more better, in the weight the boxxer wc is better.
If you have less then 75 Kgs, you must exchange the spring of the fork, the boxxer wc is more easy to set up.
The visual aspect for me is the best fork arround.

Favorite Trail:   Marco Canaveses

Similar Products Used:   I have had boxxer world cup

Bike Setup:   Giant DH 2008, with kenda nevegal 2.35, saint 2009 brakes and rear Derailleur

Submitted by Hogan Koesis a Downhiller from austin, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, Stiff and more Stiff, small bump compliance is wonderful. Especially if you service it every 3 days, which you will have to do because if you don't you will spend a ton of money replacing blown seals

Weaknesses:    Bottom out, If you weigh around 200 lbs. and find yourself between the green spring and the yellow you will be screwed. It's almost like the yellow spring is way to stiff and the green spring bottoms out every other drop. There are 3 forks out there, 888, 40, and boxxer, over the last couple of years I've had the opportunity to extensively try all 3. I have come to the determination that the boxxer is the only one that offers reliability, function, and overall "good feel" that the other 2 cannot. You will find yourself servicing this fork every 15 hours of riding or you will be replacing a blown seal. And every 30 or so good bottom outs you'll have the pleasure of having the damper re-built by your local bike shop or sending it in to fox.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this fork, it is over priced, the lowers are like egg shells and will crack the first impact they receive, the damper won't last a year without falling apart, Fox does not cover this. I am a bike shop mechanic and would highly advise just going with the boxxer. Are you sacrificing stiffness,,,,, yes you are,,, are you gaining reliability,,,,,, yes undoubtedly.

Favorite Trail:   freight train, top to bottom

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Boxxer, Marzocchi 888

Bike Setup:   Glory w DHX 5.0 and 40 RC2

Submitted by Jasen a Downhiller from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    40mm stanchions look amazing and build confidence, stiff ,plush, tracks well and has saved my A** about 50 times

Weaknesses:    High speed compression adjustment isn't very effective. Refer to "bottom line."

Bottom Line:
I am one of those riders that enjoys tuning his suspension for each trail. With that being said, I have been disappointed with the bottom out resistance on the 2008 fox cartridge. I haven't been able to notice any applicable differences compared to the 06, and 07 I have owned. I am 200lbs. with gear and I am running the green Ti spring (good up to 210lbs.) I love the small bump compliance but I can't stand how often the fork bottoms out. Keep in mind I am a true believe that bottoming your fork out once and a while is perfectly fine, but two to three times per run is unacceptable. (one of which caused me to crash and fracture two ribs.) I have tried the yellow spring (good up to 250Lbs.) but I find the small bump compliance to be very poor, plus I hate the added weight. One thing I prefer about the 2008 cartridge, is the low speed compression dampening. The fork tracks much better then my previous 40’s. It seems to be smoother in between the compression and rebound phase. This helps to overcome the previous "packing up" issue on earlier models. Overall I think the 2008 fox 40 is a great fork, but I am very eager to try and Boxxer WC. If you have an older fox 40 don't bother upgrading to the current model year, I personally don't think it is worth it. My Fork setup: high-speed compression all the way in, low speed compression 6 clicks in from all the way open, and the rebound 7 clicks out from fully closed.

Favorite Trail:   Anything I don't have to pedal up!!

Purchased At:   Fox factory

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 66 light ETA, Fox 36 Talas, Fox 40 Rc2 2006,2007 and 2008

Bike Setup:   Intense Socom: XTR cranks, LG-1 chain guide, Dt swiss 2350 wheels ,Cane Creek Double Barrel (amazing!!!!), Sram XO, Magura carbon louise...etc 37lbs with Maxxis minions dhf and high roller

Submitted by Tucker a Downhiller from Rochvegas,NH,USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    plush

Weaknesses:    seals leak bad

Bottom Line:
I will write more when Fox pulls through for me I should have new seals in this week and we will see if that solves the problem.I have high hopes for the fork because it feels so nice

Favorite Trail:   anything w/flow