Fox Shox 36 Van RC2 2008 Forks

• Rebound
  • 160mm Travel

Submitted by pbbreath a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    EVERYTHING.

Weaknesses:    NONE.

Bottom Line:

High and Low speed Compression Dampening is super easy to setup and very accurate. Unlike some forks these adjusters actually DO SOMETHING! Rebound is also great.

Super quiet, great small bump compliance. Amazingly stiff.

Comes with 3 different springs so its easy to get it dialed in. Plus lots of preload adjustment so easy to trail tune if conditions chance.

Simply amazing, I can't imagine there being a better fork for my bike and riding style.

Favorite Trail:   Time Warp, (Ashland, OR)

Purchased At:   Ebay - New

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Pike, Very nice fork that doesn't even come close to measuring up to the Fox.

Bike Setup:   2008 Titus El Guapo, VAN 36 & DHX Air 5.0 All XT Build + Hayes Stroker ACE Brakes.

Submitted by makripper a Downhiller from Kamloops bc canada

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    Keep in mind this is for the 2009 model.
stiff, easy to tune, so smooth after a ride of break in time. super light! almost 2lbs lighter than the 08 66 rc3.
the new fit cartridge is awesome! easy to fine tune to stop brake dive and arm pump. (spent 1 day at silverstar and i my arms werent even close to sore at closing time)

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
best fork i've ever ridden, wheel see what happens in the long run. I got the bike for 3200 with the new fork so the value is excellent in my opinion!

Favorite Trail:   everything! dh! mainly

Purchased At:   red shreds in willia

Similar Products Used:   06 66rc2x, 05 888, rock shocks lyrick

Bike Setup:   08 sx trail 1, 09 vanilla 36 rc2

Submitted by stripes a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    Unbelievable stiff and responsive. Very adjustable to rider tastes, super plush, even straight out of the box. Fox's usual attention to detail. Extremely light for a 20mm thru-axle coil fork.

Bottom Line:
Forks these days, especially ones with thru-axles, cost a bit of coin. After having two Rock Shox forks that has some really annoying issues (Pike U-turn dual-air had constant seal issues, and the Lyrik U-turn had stiction issues), it's nice to be riding something that is just nice out of the box. The high compression dampening on it works so well that I don't feel like I'm getting jackhammered on the little rocks on the trail. It's also very responsive and quick with the turns.

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Lyrik U-turn (they have almost the same AtoC)

Bike Setup:   Semi-custom Ventana X-5, Sram X.0/X.9 drivetrain, Race face cranks, DHX Push'd coil

Submitted by weylin a Downhiller from seattle

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Externally highly adjustable to suit differently sized riders and personal preference for feel, extremely smooth and plush, and it's very stiff. I knew how stiff these forks were which is why I didn't bother getting a double crown fork for downhill. And having the single crown fork saved some weight while allowing for a tighter turning radius for tight sections or singletrack.

Weaknesses:    Stock settings were very soft for damping and rebound. It would bottom out off just 2-3ft drops and I noticed quite a bit of dive while climbing and pedaling. However increasing high and low speed damping a few clicks solved all these issues. I slowed the rebound to better match the stiffened damping.

Bottom Line:
This fork is awesome, it's incredibly plush and smooth and rides great. It also accomplishes exactly why I chose the Vanilla over the Talas, there's no air spring, so you never have to check air pressure before riding and never have to worry about damaging the fork due to riding it with low air pressure

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz nomad, Fox 36 vanilla, Fox DHX 5.0 shock, Sram X9 drivechain, Kenda Navegal 2.5" dh tires, Avid Juicy 7's

Submitted by Peter a Downhiller from Hungray

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2007

Strengths:    Really Light
Smooth travel
Wide range of adjustability.
Can be dialled from the outside.
Stiff like hell.

Weaknesses:    None actually.
The only thing I did notice on 08 models, that the sticker on the bridge come off easily. Not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Van after using a 66 for about 6 months.
First the weight difference was easy to notice.
The other difference was the way it moved. The Fox fork needed more time to "break in". I like the characteristics of the Van more than the 66, as it is more linear feel compared to the Italian's progressive travel.

There are a lot of small clever details, like the integrated cable guide, and the quick release system is really useful too. No more screws. It was a pain in the ass to remove the wheel form the 66.

The fork is ultra stiff. It has produced more braking power not even compered to the IS tabs but also compared to the Marzo's PM tabs too.

I bought the fork around two moths ago, and it really took some serious punishment. It handled even the bigger drops and jumps without any problem.

I can only say Fox all the way!
If you can afford it then there's no better choise.

Purchased At:   Bike shop