Fox Shox 36 Talas RC2 2008 Forks

• Air spring pressure
  • Rebound

Submitted by konarider76 a Weekend Warrior from socal

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    light and bombproof, go anywhere,climb anywhere fork. QR thru axle is a big help. no more cracked lowers from over torqued pinch bolts. i prefer the MAXLE system by rockshox but this is good too. adjustable travel..is awesome if your a rider that wants too earn his way to the top and bomb all the way down

Weaknesses:    hate the color..

Bottom Line:
one of the best forks out there, but im actaully selling to get the new FIT version. other than that i would keep it.
these forks are easy to maintain..just keep the oil and seals fresh and your good to go.
i would give it 5 chilli's but im not a big fan of the color.
other than that its 5 peppers!

Favorite Trail:   telonix

Purchased At:   the path

Similar Products Used:   LYRIK, older 36, PIKE ,66 zokes

Bike Setup:   intense tracer VP, shimano XT drivetrain, CHRIS KING on 819's
kenda nevegals, KS dropper.wtb saddle,raceface bars,hope brakes

Submitted by Stewspooner a Cross Country Rider from Rossland BC Canada

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2010

Strengths:    Responsive steering, supple terrain absorbtion, smooth on the trail and sucks up the big hits, travel adjust great for steep climbs.

Weaknesses:    Not durable. Requires a complete and expensive rebuild every 3-4 months.

Bottom Line:
When the fork is working, it's perfect for hard do-everything mountain biking. My riding season is May-September here in the mountains, and I haven't yet made it through a season (4 years now)without the TALAS packing in, the seals leaking, and the fork losing suppleness. I endure a with a poorly performing fork for a month or two (it's too complicated for my shop to fix), then send it back to FOX over the winter, and they replace just about everything, charge me a small fortune, and I start again. I ride very hard and often, always in control, and get my bike serviced regularly. It's incredible technology that FOX has put into this fork, and is a dream when it's new, but definitely not durable.

Favorite Trail:   Seven Summits

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I had ETA on my Marzoccchi Z1.

Bike Setup:   Carbon Nomad with a high end build.

Submitted by boostin a Downhiller from Yakima, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    adjustable travel. Solid axle design. Reliability

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this fork on all kinds of trails for more than two years. It has always worked great and nothing has ever broken or let me down. I would buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   the shop

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla 32 125r (2 of them)
Marz dj3
Fox 831

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert w/rp23

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    It eats impacts for snacks. It tracks very well. It's very light for it's category.

Weaknesses:    The TALAS doesn't extend in a timely manner.

Bottom Line:
I love it. I seldom use the TALAS. The long travel is actually quite handy with some of the nasty climbs on my favorite trail. On easy trails, the travel adjust is handy, but it takes forever for the fork to reextend. I've never had to make an air adjustment. I do get full travel, but only if I'm beating the hell out of it. That's fine and just as it should be. That means the damping is doing it's thing just fine. I love it and will definitely buy another for my next bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   Murfreesboro Outdoor

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 TALAS, Z-1 X-Fly, Z-3 QR-20

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, DHX Air 5.0, Chris King/DT 5.1 wheels, XT drivetrain w/RF Atlas cranks w/bashguard.

Submitted by yamaha249 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    Super Stiff, Plush, Adjustments work great, its a Fox!

Weaknesses:    Bushing play develops early, a bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
Awsome fork as usual from Fox. It did develop the fox clunk in the bushings early on, but other than that the fork is plush, stiff and looks sexy on my 6.6. All the adjustments work great. I dont know what the other people are talking about when they have trouble with fox forks, I have owned almost every model they make and raced on many of them and never had any issue with durability. I think the other people need to learn how to change their fork fluid more often and not ghoast ride their bikes so much. I hope Fox continues making top notch stuff.

Favorite Trail:   WRT

Similar Products Used:   Fox 40 RC2, 32 talas RC2, 32 vannilla RC2, Marzocchi Z1

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6, Hayes strokers Aces, DT swiss 240 wheals, Light AM setup

Submitted by Zlidely a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great tune-ability & Adjustable on the fly.

Weaknesses:    Not very linear or predictable; Does not last very long; It is an expensive disposable fork!

Bottom Line:
I have to rebuild it every other month! Seals leak; lowers look 10 years old while the rest of my bike looks brand new still! The bushings are already trashed so it feels like my headset is loose. Not very good for building confidence. Wish I could get my 36 Vanilla back! It is really like Goldilocks when tuning it. Once you get it dialed in just right, it is great - for about 4 rides until it needs maintenance.
...Oh yeah and FOX CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!! Won't warranty anything, its all considered normal wear & tear!
If you are a XC rider who rarely does any drops and just puts around on smooth single track, this fork will do you proud. If you do any aggressive riding, stick with a Vanilla coil.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mountain

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Vanilla 36(great!) 66; 888;

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6 with lots of extras

Submitted by AK Chris a Weekend Warrior from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, adjustable, Maxle wannabe better than non-QR 20mm dropouts, very plush, lots of adjustments

Weaknesses:    Talas system crapped out after a couple months, price - forks are becoming more expensive than frames, wish there were more travel adjustment options (maybe 160-145-130-115-100) to fine tune the ride

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around fork, very plush, lots of adjustments (HSC, LSC, rebound) to dial in your ride perfectly along with the Talas system which is great -- when it works. As others have mentioned, check the oil levels. Its prety easy for even the worst wrenches to take apart. Mine was a little low, but it was an easy fix. Took only about 45 minutes and I almost never do the work on my forks.

The big downer is mine crapped out after a couple months. For the last few months I've been riding with a 160mm Float. The non-Talas side still works fine. When the Talas worked it was a great ride - reach down and crank the adjuster a couple clicks and you're at 100mm for climbs, or 130mm for smoother trails and 160 for the rough stuff and everything gravity oriented.

The 36 chassis is very stiff, allowing 200+lbs of rider and gear to plow through everything on the trail. The adjustments can be a little challenging for suspension setup amateurs, but its still easier to get dialed than the 66 SL.

Losing the travel adjust on a new fork that was not abused (I'm not a big air or big drop guy) was a big disappointment. After the disaster that was the 07 66 SL, I wonder if I should have sold the Pike. I picked up a used Lyrik solo air to fill in for the Talas when I send it to Fox. I'm going to set the Lyrik at 150mm - if its problem free and rides as nice as the 36, I may sell the 36 to fund a Sultan. Jerk Chicken had a great suggestion, get the Float spring cartridge and if the Talas dies again just convert it to a Float.

Similar Products Used:   Z1, Vanilla 125, Pike, Maverick DUC, 66 SL

Bike Setup:   2008 Turner Spot, King, X9 and so on...

Submitted by Jerk_Chicken a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Great Damping, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Delivered without bath oil, poor seals, bad paint.

Bottom Line:
Originally I thought it was a nice fork, but something always felt wrong. It turns out that the fork had no little/no oil in the legs, something reported by many others. You may experience stiction and lack of full travel. At some point, it does feel smooth, no doubt due to the soft bushings and the coating on the stanchions and perhaps a bit of the oil on the foams, however, it will never perform right and you can back off compression and rebound and it will still feel "off".

So I added oil to the legs, which made the fork work many times better. Also another problem is that the oe seals are not really oil seals, so you will have a slick of oil on the stanchions. No problem, but they're also not good at keeping muck out. If you want this fork to be little maintenance, you need to install a proper oil and dust seal, as I did in the Enduro package. The oil now stays in the leg, and because the dust seal works, it stays clean. Over time, you will deplete your oil supply with the oe seals, which is likely the reason you're supposed to periodically oil the foams. The foams get lubed with splash and contact anyhow, so I'm thinking the few CC's you add is to maintain the small bath. The oe seals also collect a lot of dirt inside, partly the reason to pull them, as instructed by Fox.

I refrained from a review until I got more time to see what the drawbacks were and properly evaluate durability. I originally didn't like the damper, but have since moved to a different area and the damper is really fantastic, especially at high speeds on this terrain. It's smooth and appears to really work well midstroke. The chassis is fine, although I never found it to be "amazingly" stiffer than my 32mm stanchion Z1 Light.

The TALAS is fine, though I don't trust it. I don't use it, either. It can be used similarly to ETA in that you hit it and it will drop you down, but also you're more likely to bottom at lower settings, despite the fact that the fork's spring feels similar in all settings, but less progressive in the lower ones. The thing many don't mention about the TALAS is that unlike ETA, when you go back to a higher setting, the TALAS is slow, and you really have to lean back and pop wheelies to get it to extend, unless you don't mind stopping.

So the tip here is to check the oil levels out of the box. People always trusted Fox, but they are part of the wrong oil level problem as well.

Check my posts and the DIY's I put together on the fork.

I don't think the fork is worth the price, but of course, no one sells it for that price, except for the big mail order companies.

3 Chilis value, 4 overall - overpriced, bad paint, bad sealing, no/low lubricating oil, poor Fox support. The overall was raised, as the damper is superb, and perhaps two months ago at my hometown I would not have given it such a good rating. Check the oil and install proper oil seals.

Similar Products Used:   Zoke 66, Z1 Light, Wotan

Bike Setup:   2006 Turner RFX

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    The travel settings of 100-130-160mm are perfect. Super burly and stiff without a huge weight penalty. Adjustments are easy to use and it's easy to get dialed in. Fox's version of the thru-axle is super easy to use as well. Most importantly--it's a FOX.

Weaknesses:    None!!

Bottom Line:
This is far and away the best fork on the market. It works better the more you use it and get it broken in.

The travel settings of 100-130-160mm are perfect. 100mm for climbing, 160mm for the DH and 130mm for everything else.

Super burly and stiff without a huge weight penalty. I mean, you're talking a 160mm thru-axle fork and just a bit over 5 lbs!!

Adjustments are easy to use and it's easy to get dialed in. The TALAS lever is very easy to use on the fly.

Fox's version of the thru-axle is super easy to use as well.

Do yourself a favor and get this fork. It is by far the best upgrade I ever made on my Yeti.

Purchased At:   BB

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi AMSL 1--total crap. Fox Vanilla. Fox 32 TALAS

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth. Laterally stiff. It's like having three bikes in one.

Weaknesses:    Takes a while to return to 160 after climbing in 100.

Bottom Line:
This fork is even better than I expected. I was looking at the Marzocchi 55 ATA, Rock Shox Lyric 2-step air and the Fox. Talked to at least ten people at five shops. Read all the reviews. This fork is amazing. I climb better than ever, I'm going way too fast downhill and the 130 setting was perfect for the constant up and down at Gooseberry. I only run about 72lbs of air in the main spring (I'm 6'4" 210 lbs). That's the only way to get all of the travel. I don't do big drops - 4ft max. Compression settings allow the light air setting. Plush. Absorbs trail chatter. Enough already. Go ride.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   The Path, Tustin

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Nixon, Fox Float RLC

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, DT Swiss 1750 wheelset, Fox Talas 36 RC2, Avid Juicy 7, Race Face, XT, XTR, Thompson, yada yada...

Submitted by jiro from alberta

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    man,, where do i start,,it looks nice, very stiff, talas is wicked, great damping, wheel comes off easyyy

Weaknesses:    hmmm none so far. im still little worry about how air spring will hold up on hard ridings

Bottom Line:
it turns out they are 2pounds lighter than the 66rc it replaced and that alone made me very happy. removing the tire is so easy, and the fork is soo stiff. i use all 3 setings on talas on my nemesis and they are good for all different types of riding i do on my nemesis since it is my only do it all bike. i got my slightly used and a killer deal. im not sure if i would have spent full retail price,,,but hey, its all good. bottom line, i am happy i converted to fox,,,, so far.

Favorite Trail:   kickinghorse

Similar Products Used:   monster t, 66rc, dirtjumper1 and 2, jr t

Bike Setup:   06 nemesis, 08 36 talas rc2, 07 evolver 6way, 08 code

Submitted by Jimmy Lee a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, Plush, Adjustable travel works seemlessly.

Weaknesses:    Lighter, cheaper, blah blah blah

Bottom Line:
First of all, anyone who thinks Fox makes junk has lost credibility right there. I guess the reviewer has more refined tastes in bike components than the pros that put their lives on the line using them.

Second, this fork has saved my talentless butt more times than it deserves. Miscalculated landings where I thought for sure that I would lose a collarbone turned out safe because of how well built this fork is.

Third, rock gardens? My bike rides more true and plush than
any fork I've tried.

Last, I continue to ride Fox forx from previous generations on my other bikes with no complaints of quality.

If there are problems, they are the few exceptions and not the rule. At this point, I don't even consider other makes.

Similar Products Used:   Various Zochi's, Rock Shox, and Fox

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad blah blah blah

Submitted by Georgiy Romanov from Solnechnogorsk

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
Well, i want to write my third review. I rode on this fork about 5 month and want to sell it because the TALAS system is a very unreliable.
Guys if you want RIDE your bike (not repairing them) don't buy fox with TALAS. In the market we have only one good changeable travel system - U-Turn coil! ATA and TALAS is a piece of crap!

Submitted by Luis Miguel Torres a Weekend Warrior from MEXICO

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    Travel settings, strenght and looks cool

Weaknesses:    The Talas system did not work

Bottom Line:
I have used a Pike fork for nearly two years, I bought this fork Octuber last year, from that date I have used just for 2 months because the rest it spend it in the bike shop,the Talas system did not work as it should be, it did not change from 100 to 130 nor 130 to 160, they try to fix it but the next weekend happened the same, right now is there again, I´m very dissapointed with this thing I spend a lot of dough and all it has given me is troubles, I´m really thinking asking my money back and buy a similar like a Marzocchi or a Rock Shock (with whom I was very happy)

Purchased At:   Mexico