Fox Shox 32 Talas RL 2008 Forks

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
Weight : 3.99 lbs

Fox's proven TALAS (travel adjust linear air spring) concept has evolved into a quick three-stage system, adjustable with a 90 degree sweep of a lever, setting travel between 140-120 and 100mm. For 2008 Fox addded an extra 10mm of travel to meet the needs of today's trail bike. Combined with legendary Fox steering precision and all new chassis, and either their new patent pending Fox Isolated Technology (FIT) damping or the ultra-refined and patented RLC open bath system, the lightweight and feature packed TALAS is a sure bet for any trail condition.

Submitted by wilsonblur a Weekend Warrior from Heidelberg, Germany

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Quality build, serviceability, adjust-ability, stiff, good progressive stroke, fairly light for a 140mm fork, sensitive to small hits, bits hits are just as good, lock out and travel adjustment are great, matches great with my HV RP23 for a very balanced feel. Resists brake dive.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Decals, and I can't think of anything else to write here, I just love it. Stroke is not as smooth or sensitive as my Magura or Marzocchi

Bottom Line:
Great fork, never even missed the compression tuning of the RLC. My 5.5 is really sensitive to brake dive from my Magura Laurin FCR130mm which made anything steep sketchy because of the head angle change. I switched forks and its fixed everything. All the features work really well without complexity. Its everything I want in a fork. After riding the Magura it could be a little smoother and more active but that's so minor its hardly worth mentioning.

Favorite Trail:   Diedesheim Red Dot

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox RLC 100mm, Marzocchi Marathon XC 105-120mm, Magura Laurin FCR 130-100mm

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 RP 23 HV, RF Next LP cranks, Phil Wood BB, XTR/XT, Hugi 240 Hubs DT RWS 9/10mm skewers, Avid Juicy 7, Schwalbe Albert's, Monkey Lite, Easton Stem, RF Dues XC SP, Mavic 717, Candy Pedals, etc

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Goodyear, Arizona USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth and adjustable. The 100mm adjustment works amazingly well on steep technical climbs. Otherwise, if it's just a long steady climb, I will keep it in the 140mm setting.

Weaknesses:    Very hard to setup for basic sag! Normally, 25% would easily be achieved by their chart and some tweaking. However, at 190 pounds, I'm at 50PSI and am barely hitting the 25% marker!!! The FOX gude says I should be using around 90PSI! Something doesn't make sense. I'm thinking their manual is for earlier models? I will emailing FOX soon.

Bottom Line:
Overall, it works up to speed except for the sag issue. I think with the proper sag, I could get more out of it. I'm convinced though, a solution will be found by FOX and I will be a happier customer. I've read that others have experienced the same setup issue as me.

Favorite Trail:   National Phoenix, Arizona