Fox Racing Shox 32 Talas RLC 2008 Forks

• Axle Type: Quick Release
  • Brake Mount: Disc Brake Only

Submitted by CDA MTBer a Weekend Warrior from CDA, ID USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    stiff, adjustablity, easy to up and dial in, works incrediably smooth

Weaknesses:    stickers

Bottom Line:
These fork are great!

Favorite Trail:   Many...hmmm

Purchased At:   used from friend tha

Similar Products Used:   rock shox and zokes

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper pro fsr custom

Submitted by Frank D a Weekend Warrior from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    After all these years of making this thing, it is really some kind of fork.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had the travel adjustment lever they put on the '09.

Bottom Line:
Stiffer, more plush, better compression curves, much better damping. Bought this in April '08 to replace a blown '02 on a trip to Gooseberry/Little Creek, buy it or go home. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Admittedly, the oldest fork, but amazingly better.
The next one will have the 15mm option.

Favorite Trail:   Porc

Purchased At:   Zion Cycles, Springd

Similar Products Used:   Had TALAS forks since 2002, before that, Psylo on this bike and Marzocchi Z-1 on an Uzzi

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner w/4" rockers

Submitted by kiwijames a Racer from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    It's got all the features you want with NO FLEX! Can play the XC race game and then play in the AM mine fields with aplomb. Works in tandem with the RP23 like a hand in glove.

Weaknesses:    Leaks some air over a few week period...not the lightest option out there. Would love the lock-out in the cockpit. When using the lock-out, it's too easy to inadvertently change the compression too.

Bottom Line:
I finally opted to get a good all around rig, to play the non-hardtail XC field, Enduro and AM duties. Researching..The SC Blur LT 2 was the choice and so many specs were for the Talas 140 RLC...I simply caved and went with the flow..and happy I did.
No problems with any of the settings, I rarely delve into the 100mm it makes the bike feel slow now and diving. 120 is the XC/race setting and lock-out on the long techie climbs, 140 is on the down if there's hit to be had. The effect of the head angle change is profound. I've had far less issues with the Fox than I have had in years of playing the lightweight SID game. ZERO FLEX, feels smooth, keep the air at the proper level, dial in your custom settings and go and have some hassle free fun. This fork will handle any and all AM duties and provide a new level of confidence in your equipment. I still ride the sub 25LBS XC rig..but now it's almost all Blur lT2 and the Talas 140 RLC.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   SID Race 80, SID World Cup, F100 RL, DT Swiss XRC 100

Bike Setup:   SC Blur LT2, XO, RF Deus XC, Easton Havoc AM, Nevegal, Ritchey WCS Bars/Stem and pedals, Juicy Carb, Crank Bro Jolin Remote, Northshores.

Submitted by slowrider a Weekend Warrior from Midway City Ca. U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Plush, adjustable, durable

Weaknesses:    Pricy and heavier than fox claims

Bottom Line:
I've had none of the above issues with my Talas. It's been a great fork, the only improvements I would like would be to lighten it to what they claim and make it less expensive butLite/ Cheap/ Strong pick 2 so I'm happy.
The Minute and Marzocci ahve both had to go back for warranty work but not the Fox.

Favorite Trail:   Porc

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   Manitou flick, minute1, Marz xc700sl.

Bike Setup:   HL 5 Spot 27.75 lbs

Submitted by aj kellner a Cross Country Rider from Glenwood, NY

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Strengths:    Pefect performance! The harder I push, the better it gets!
Adj. is great, Handles great, No bottoming- no more wrist pain. It goes were I point it! NO flex. I have only 60 miles on it but have not ridden anything close. It just works. the washboard section that made me want to cry with my Psylo, is now as smooth as butter, at twice the speed, with the TALAS RLC.

Weaknesses:    $, But you get what you pay for!

Bottom Line:
I had problems with bottoming, wallowing, bad cornering, terible preload for jumps, then I paid the money, and put a smile on my face. It does everything I want it to, and more. I could have gone Float R, but I do like the Travel adj. and comp adj. I have pnly moved Low speed Comp 2 clicks since I found my sweet spot, but its there when I want it and thats all that matters.
The perfect fork for me!
Aggresive all mountain.

Favorite Trail:   Sprauge Brook

Purchased At:   ebay, LBS told me to!

Similar Products Used:   RS psylo, white bros

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar. 4 inch travel rear, 5.5 in front.

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    First off, Looks. Versatility, plushness, great cornering and diving. Going into turns it almost bounces you out of turns faster.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Well. The shock is a total upgrade from the manitou splice. I race in the Arizona race series and have been very disappointed with suspension. My dad got a Fox Shock for his bike and said he absolutely loved it, so i rushed out and got one.

At first, i was upset with it. It seemed to take bumps better than the Splice, but wasn't worth the $550 i spent. I almost felt like taking it back until i started going through rougher sections and switched the bike up to 140mm. I liked that if i wanted to go all- mountain, i had a shock that would go to 5.5" of travel. It still wasn;t worth $550.

All it took was to get up to 15 miles per hour. The faster you go on the bike, the better the shock works. It almost makes the bike faster and the faster you go, the smoother it gets. Going through turns when i was going slow was a pain. I kept sliding out and loosing traction, but i picked up speed and it turned on the shock!! Now, going through turns, it tracks better and almost digs in the the ground. Coming out of turns i can feel a boost of speed from the shock expanding. I began to really like the shock and looked at the sticker i got. Fox RACING Shock. Its a race shock, so of course its not going to do well with going slow. I would recommend this shock to any racer out there who is in cross country and willing to do some gnarlier things.

So treat your Bike the way its named. If its a race shock, then RACE it=)

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MZII, Manitou Splice( Not recommended)

Bike Setup:   IronHorse Azure, XTr crank, derallieur, BB. Avid brakes. Manitou radium rear shock.

Submitted by Torstein Andas from Norway

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustable travel, "Fox" stiffness abd smoothness.

Weaknesses:    Frozen Talas-lever when riding for houers when sub 0 degreeds Celsius.

Bottom Line:
User friendly, high quality, adjustable, stiff and super smooth!

Similar Products Used:   RS Psylo, Fox F-series

Bike Setup:   Cube AMS 125 XT 2008

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Chicaog

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2007

Strengths:    Plush when set up correctly stiff and smooth. Fox customer service rocks

Weaknesses:    Bottoms out easily. If you set the pressure a little higher It gets a harsh on the ride. TALAS system works but its not an on the fly thing. My friend was able to damage the TALAS system by playing with it while riding. Fox replaced the fork.

Bottom Line:
It’s a very plush fork easy to adjust, the lockout/w blow off is great and the compression damper system works well when you take the time to adjust it. For me the TALAS ststem was a waste I really never used it. You have to get off your bike to adjust it. FOX customer service is great

Favorite Trail:   Levis Trow

Purchased At:   full cycle sports

Similar Products Used:   Lots of coil and air forks

Bike Setup:   s-works stumpy, corssmax XL, avid jucys, SRAM x0.

Submitted by Eric from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    Good Lateral rigid design, nice plush feel, eats up big hits

Weaknesses:    140, 120, 100 travel stage adjustment does not exsist after only a few rides

Bottom Line:
This is for the TALAS R model-The bottom line is this fork was supposed to be it, and here I am only 5 months into owning it with light South Florida riding and the nicest feature is broken.

I like Fox's workmanship as far as the adjustment designs for the rebound and travel, the levers are well made. I also like the new cable strap and post mount system.

I think there is no excuse for a brand new product to have a malfunction of the major feature of the fork. I will chime back in after I get it back from Fox, but I'm pissed that I will loose riding time waiting to have Fox fix my fork. I have liked Fox products for years, and have no reason to diss them, but you all can agree that there is no excuse for this malfunction on a new fork.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback RIP

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Similar Products Used:   Marzucci MX pro

Bike Setup:   2004 Super Heckler

Submitted by Ryan S a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability is the big reason I went with it over the Float. Overall I really like the Talas system. Very easy to use and you can switch on the fly when needed.

Weaknesses:    None so far. If i had to pick one it could be the price, but even that's not too bad.

Bottom Line:
Awesome fork if you have the money.

Bike Setup:   '07 Yeti 575 w/RP23 rear.

Submitted by MJM a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
First, this forum is for giving honest reviews on products user have bought or are planning on buying whether the review be good or bad. When purchasing a product I, as well as many others, want as much information about that product one can get their hands on. Second, I, as well as many others, read the reviews and aren't concerned about the number rating. The rating is useless for making a sound informed purchase. Reading each thread, on the other hand, is much more useful and informative. Third, the problems were not related. The first issue was a seal that let go and was replaced. Fox also put new adjustment hardware on too. The second issue was a rebuild of the entire left stanchion.

I've been on 4 rides since receiving the fork back (the last time) from Fox and have had no problems--so far. First ride was an out and back on the Colorado Trail (25) miles. Second was Boreas pass (20) miles 13,0000 feet plus. Third was Kenosha pass (23) miles 13,000 feet plus. Forth was the Air Force Academy (18) miles. All of these rides were done back to back and none, that I remember, had chairlifts. Also, love to race in many of the Colorado and New Mexico MTB and road races and have been for 20 plus years.

I hope some of this information is useful to riders that have bought or are thinking about buying this product. My hope is that MTBR always allows for open, free and civil discussion on their forums. This type of discussion lends itself to information one can use when buying or thinking about buying products.

Lastly, I would like to give Fox kudos for fixing and sending the fork back quickly this last time. It's much appreciated. This fork, when working correctly, is the best I've ever ridden--5 flames. Better Tola Tola. Tola, if your ever in Colorado look me up we'll do a ride and see if you can keep up.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Front Range

Submitted by Tola Tola a Cross Country Rider from Brownsville,Vt

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    MTBR is getting to be useless because of dumba@s reviews like the 2 below from the same rider, maybe he did have problems but by leaving 2 reviews it totally throws off the average score for other to compare with. I'm sure the problems are related to how he is using the fork,get a dual crown, get back on the chairlift and play with your nintendo. MTBR if you read this please change the way people can leave feedback.

Oh yeah- the fork kicks ass

Weaknesses:    price if you don't have a real job and live at home with Mommy & Daddy

Bottom Line:
There's a reason all other fork companies blow out their old models for 1/3 the cost of a FOX. I've tried them all, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Go Yankees!!

Favorite Trail:   split rock

Similar Products Used:   2006 Minute 3, very nice but hard to setup and no travel adjust but well worth the $$.

Bike Setup:   2006 S-Works w/ Hope,King,Sram,RaceFace,Thomson & Mavic

Submitted by MJM a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    None at this time. As soon as I get some saddle time with this fork I'll let you know.

Weaknesses:    Seems to break often. Actually, everytime I get on the bike to ride.

Bottom Line:
Update.

After 3 weeks I received my bike back and went for a ride.
My Fox Talus RLC broke, again, the first ride out. This time the stage selectivity (100,120,140) went away. The fork is on it's way back to Fox for surgery. I've had this bike and fork just under 1 month and have ridden it less than 1 week because of this issue. Anyone on this thread want to trade forks?

Favorite Trail:   Anything Front Range

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL

Submitted by JAson Riggs from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    Everything is adjustable. The damping has improved and the fork flat out does the job. Very plush and stiff.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Price maybe?

Bottom Line:
I ordered the fork at the end of May, just two weeks or so after Fox released the '08. My order was actually for the '07 at closeout price but was shipped the '08 to my surprise/delight. After nearly 4 months of pounding this fork all over the San Francisco Bay area, from Santa Cruz to Tahoe, I have been very satisfied with it's performance. I am using DT Swiss RWS skewers with Hope hubs and the match creates a very stiff set-up. Having the ability to not only change the travel but also to adjust every aspect of this fork is also a major plus. I would not have opted for this fork at full retail, but at $200 off retail I'm sold!

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi AM1.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT with DHX coil in the rear.

Submitted by MJM a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Strengths:    Great riding fork. Plush, smooth and easy to adjust on the fly.

Weaknesses:    Easily breaks.

Bottom Line:
It broke after 2 rides!! It happen on an uphill section of the trail. I pulled the front end up to clear a rock and heard a loud thud. The fork extended to its limit and wouldn't retract. I was able to complete the ride with a knocking thud joining me all the way.

I brought it back to where I purchased it and the tech couldn't figure it out. He called Fox to get help and was given the standard Fox answer: "Send it to us and we'll fix it." So, I'll be W/O my Fox fork for approx. 2 weeks. I did get a loaner fork until my Fox fork arrives back from the Fox Kingdom. Kudos to Alpha bikes in Denver for their help.

It would be more productive of Fox to train retailers to fix there forks onsite instead of back and forth shipping to Fox. Also, publish perioodical tech sheets for new problems that occur and get them in the hands of the retailers. I will publish an update when I receive the fork back and have a few rides on it. So far though, I'm not too happy.

I'm rating low currently and will repost after I receive the fork back and put a few rides on it. Standby!

Favorite Trail:   Anything on the front range

Purchased At:   Alpha Bikes, Denver

Similar Products Used:   Marzo., Manitou.

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL with standard build kit from Chumba

Replacing Fox Damper (Fox 32 Talas RLC)

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace damper cartridges for Fox forks, specifically a Fox 32 Talas RLC? I kinda messed mine up so I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. I read that I could put a newer FIT cartridge into my older (2009) open bath damper fork. Supposedly that wou ... Read More »

Fox Talas RLC Fit 32 110/140mm Swapping Lowers from 150mm counterpart?

Hi, I have a 2011 Fox Talas RLC Fit (32) with 110/140mm travel and 9mm dropouts. The dropouts are giving me issues as they move around too much under climbing and braking (200mm Formula R1's etc). So I'd like to go to the 15mm thou-bolt lowers. I am wondering if I can buy a 2011 150mm TALAS RL wi ... Read More »

Help! Fox fork 32 talas FIT RLC 2012

Hi guys, I am in riding in southern Spain and have another 6 days of riding,but I have developed the tell tale " loose headset feeling" as I am riding which I think is my bushings. The play is very noticeable while riding and I can feel the play even with my hands. The shops in the area I am biking, ... Read More »

Fox Talas 32 140-110 FIT RLC Question

I just got this fork, but it was advertised as a 150-120mm. Can this fork be converted to 150mm travel? I don't know the model year. Couldn't find this info anywhere. Thanks for any help.Read More »

Need TALAS assembly repaired or replaced on an 08' 32 RLC

Bought the fork for $75 in order to get a frame ready for sale, so I am looking for the absolute CHEAPEST possible option. Anyone know Fox's price structure for repair work? I can order the parts, but just curious for some advice. I think PUSH doesn't offer a la carte repairs for JUST the TALAS asse ... Read More »