SR Suntour SF7-XCR-RL 2007 Forks

• Steerer tube: STKM
  • Brake: Disc & V-type

Submitted by Aaron Chin a Weekend Warrior from Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Strengths:    The last time I used a Suntour fork was an XCM and I promised myself I'd never lay my hands on another Suntour 'nymore. Unfortunately, (I guess its really true that not all promises are true)I stumbled upon a great bargain on an SF7 XCR RL. I knew the market value for a brand new one is outrageous in M'sia and since the offer I got is just less than a quarter of the tag, I have to had it even for a torture toy. The verdict? Not bad but the seals aren't lasting and not to mention the no possibility for a damn Malaysian user to source for its servicing parts. I wouldn't say this fork is good nor would I say its bad. All I can say is, obey the yellow sticker's 'achtung' and you'll be fine. It can be ridden down-the-hill fast but don't push it too far. Basically this fork is a level or two better than the XCM yet, to achieve the performance of those RS Tora and Dart3. Simple internals but functional, only need some further refinement. Oh yes, cool remote lockout feature (full stop).

Weaknesses:    Poor dampenings - too plush. Suntour advised 185mm max rotor diameter but my Hayes V7 coupled with LX hydro is enough to suck up at least 80% of its travel. Suntour should have included a rebound feature while uprating the springs a little more given the price tag it comes with. Once again, Suntour disappointed me but good enough to be recruited for the job on my bike for the rest of the season.

Service parts availability.

Bottom Line:
Good: 120mm travel XC fork, beefy, nice remote lockout feature, simple and functional internals.
Bad:Preload still not working well, too plush and after sale service! Wake up Suntour! Stop R&D'ing gearboxes for DH! Improve your quality of products and services first!

Similar Products Used:   XCM - still sucks big time
Spinner Grind OS1 HL - good value fork, tho heavy and short 80 mm travel but functional.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M5 HT, XTR M952-5 crank n M953 cassette, XT HG93 chain n rear M750 derailleur, Shimano 050 front derailleur, '07 LX shifters. Amoeba risers n Titec stem. Shimano LX disc brakes with Hayes V7 and V6. Thomson Elite s/post.