RockShox Tora 302 2007 Forks

• Crown: Forged, Hollow 6061 T-6 Aluminum
  • Steerer Tube: Steel

Submitted by Overdrive

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Price, strenght, massive construction, preload adjustment, rebound adjustment, lockout.

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Very nice entry level RS fork, with acceptable price. After 4 years and 7000kms works as well as new. 65% tarmac road use.

Submitted by Acidv a Cross Country Rider from Croatia

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Reliability, durability, you can ride it almost anywhere and price.

Weaknesses:    Gets a bit stiffer during winter, but still works great though.

Bottom Line:
I have had this fork on my bike for 3 years now, and in those 3 years absolutely nothing had to be done to the fork in terms of repairing it. The bike has more than 8000km under its wheels and I rode it almost anywhere considering the terrain, even the tracks that were meant for a freeride or even DH bikers. Sure, it's not great as any Fox or more expensive Rock Shox forks would be and you can't really speed through the before menton terrains like you could on an actual freeride bike, but for its price it's definitely a best-buy and I was never falling behind compared to someone having a better fork on a descent.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila, Marzocchi 22

Submitted by DurtDigglah a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Worked okay at best

Weaknesses:    Plastic coil preload adjuster failed, resulting in the coil and various other internal parts launching out of the fork leg, nearly hitting me in the face. Also required returning to Rock Shox after about 3 rides because the rebound damping just stopped working. Lots of stiction. Heavy. Not very stiff.

Bottom Line:
A cheap fork, best used by those that don't really take their mountain biking too seriously...or are a beginner. Go harder and the limits of this fork are found very quickly.

Purchased At:   Came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   Recently upgraded to Manitou Minute Pro 20mm.

Bike Setup:   New old stock 2007 Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by S.Mtn rider a Cross Country Rider from emaus, pa

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Strengths:    adjustable to allow for more travel

Weaknesses:    it pissed oil

Bottom Line:
I was so stoked. I had just replaced my stupid Suntour fork with a cool looking Rock Shox 302. Wow!!
But lo and behold, I had not had this fork on my bike for 2 months and it began leaking oil. My buddy had some fancy Rock Shox Reba on his new Rip 9, and the same thing happened. Oil everywhere.
I've come a way since then and now have Fox on my 2 year old Jamis. My Fox fork still works as well as the day I bought the bike new.
Do yourselves a favor... do not touch Rock Shox.

Favorite Trail:   S.Mtn

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   suntour

Bike Setup:   K2 Attack

Submitted by blogerry a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    low price, adjustability, strength, warranty, durability, and reliable

Weaknesses:    nothing mine work fantastic for what I do (dirt jumping)

Bottom Line:
I love these forks and have had absolutely no problem with them. though i can see how it is easy to break the travel and lockout knobs on it since they are cheap plastic knobs. Plus being a lightweight rider may also have to do with why they haven't broken yet.

Favorite Trail:   denny beach/watershed

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi mz comp forks

Bike Setup:   azonic steelhead frame, tora 302 forks, travativ crank, and wtb rims

Submitted by Sp4rt4cus a Cross Country Rider from Provo UT

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    At first it seemed great, super plush, nice U turn adjustable travel for a variety of trail conditions, overall a great fork... at first.

Weaknesses:    After only ONE HOUR of having the fork installed on my bike, riding ON THE ROAD to show it to a friend, the rebound adjuster cap SHOT OFF THE FORK, spraying oil everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was no impact, I wasn't even on the bike at the time. Luckily RockShox has a warranty, but what a hassle! Now I'm stuck waiting for the local shop to get the new parts in from SRAM, but Labor Day weekend in sundance is now ruined, which was the whole point of buying the fork in the first place.

Bottom Line:
If you think the Tora you buy wont break like mine did, its a great fork. But apparently Rock Shox has been having these issues with a lot of their Tora forks. If I could do it again and not buy the tora, I would.

Favorite Trail:   Sundance

Purchased At:   Taylors Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi, Manitou, Fox, good stuff etc

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tass custom build XT Avid etc

Submitted by booyahdex a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    looks good with the 32mm tubes, performs well for its price range.

Weaknesses:    broke my u turn knob not by overtightening it or anything, just simply because i've turned it too many times. 'clicking' sound everytime you compress it at its full extention after a year of usage. heavy (not for weight weenies)

Bottom Line:
Worth it for its price, but wouldnt recommend it to anyone that is serious into riding.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah

Similar Products Used:   recon 351, recon sl, rst forks

Bike Setup:   xc race rig, v brakes, full slx, xt hubs, dt swiss rims and spokes.

Submitted by Stevo a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk England

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Good paint finish and that's about it.

Weaknesses:    2nd outing resulted in complete loss of oil and damping, 6th outing loss of lockout function....will be consinging them to the scrap bin once I've had a rant at Rockshox.

Bottom Line:
Speed is your friend, control your saviour!!

Favorite Trail:   Where there are no cars....

Purchased At:   Rutland Cycles

Similar Products Used:   White Power IMV 80's - Brilliant!!

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera

Submitted by AngaryJack a Weekend Warrior from Oakland County Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    U-turn, 32mm upper tubes, lock out

Weaknesses:    Heavy(For weight weenies) The upper tubes have no markings to let you know where your travel is set at. U-turn knob is easy to over turn and break.

Bottom Line:
I am a Large man 260+ with gear and never shy away from a jump,small drop or downhill chute. I bought the U-turn model because I was unsure about increasing the travel on my bike. I have had no problems. I have found I am way more confident, and that is without the black xtra stiff spring, that I just ordered for next season. I never lower my travel under 130mm or lock out So the u-turn and pop-loc wasn't necessary for me.

Favorite Trail:   Bloomer Park

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy J2 80mm

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Tora 85-130, Wtb dual dutys,

Submitted by Pat a Weekend Warrior from Northern Virginia

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Heavey, soft spring, gushed oil,... the lockout broke in 3mo, when used with disk brakes it has A LOT of flex.

Bottom Line:
If this fork comes stock on your bike keep a close eye on it. If it suites you use it until it wears out (1 year) and instead of rebuilding it go out and buy a better/more reliable fork. If you do any aggressive XC just go ahead and buy a better and ligheter fork and toss this one in the spare parts pile or use it to build your girl friend or novice buddy a bike.

I purchased my first full sus bike and this fork came on it. I had intentions of swapping it out but just not this soon. Something seems to fail or fall off of it every other month.

Favorite Trail:   Weak fork

Purchased At:   Came stock on my FSRxc

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba Race, RST crap.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSRxc with Juicy 5 discs, Crank Brothers Acid 1 pedals, Rockshox Reba Race fork, Crank Brothers headset.

Submitted by Monty a Cross Country Rider from Ft Worth Tx

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Strengths:    Lot of spring.Plenty of travel.Affordable.

Weaknesses:    Sping could be a little stiffer as I am a bigger rider.However you can replace that.

Bottom Line:
Good fork had a internal problem when I bought them But Rock Shox warranty fixed them and they have been fine since.For the money i cant see where you can do more for the price.Lock out works really well

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SR Suntour, Cheap RST, Dart 3

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300.Upgraded quite a bit

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Rusk, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Love the smoothness, rebound is great. Lock out helps in the climbing dept. Incredible performance for the price.

Weaknesses:    I turn down the travel adjustment when loading it in my car, it sticks if I turn it all the way down. Not a huge thing, just an annoyance.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy (6'2" 225lbs). It works well under my weight and is a huge improvement over the dart that came on the bike.

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Duke

Bike Setup:   08 Moto 600HT with the Tora 302, BB7 mechanicals.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Lots of travel for big hits and big obstacles. Never bottoms out (and I'm 6'5 and 240lbs... although I'm going to be getting an extra stiff spring assembly this season). Great rebound adjustments. Great customer service. I had the fork sent to the factory and rebuilt and back on my bike in a week and a half (not bad, considering the international shipping and whatnot).

Weaknesses:    Something on them seems to break or go wrong with them in the first month (from what I've read and seen for myself). My fork lost all of its damping oil when I was messing around and did a stoppie that went too far, i fell over and the fork rebounded with no resistance. The oil got all over my break pads and it was a big pain in the ass. After they get a factory re-build they seem to be fine and it should all be covered under warranty (depending on what happened, under what circumstances...). Really heavy. Would not recommend it for cross country. Thats why it came with my dirt jumper!

Bottom Line:
Great big hit fork fork for the price... as long as you get it re-built!

Favorite Trail:   Kanata Lakes